Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buy pc with xp installed for evaluation only

Options
  • 03-08-2003 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

i've noticed a few resellers of computers selling pcs with xp pro loaded and noted as saying for evaluation perposes only - must be removed from system after purchase....although these seem to be pre activated.........is there a legal issue to this or can you legally buy a pc with a pre activated xp if you remove from hard drive within say a week

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how many people have managed to get a refund on preinstalled XP ?

Read the ELUA.TXT file
    ha - trick - I know someone who got pre-installed XP home recently and I could not find this file referenced by the "help"

If it is the OEM version it can't be used on aother computer (I think this means Motherboard or possibly CPU - it does not mean HDD AFAIK)

The retail or upgrade versions can be moved of course. (legally - not sure about the technicalities with registration - eg: office XP is fairly hard locked) - the tendency is to make Windows harder to clone / copy / backup / restore ...

When DOS started off Microsoft got something like 3% of the cost of a PC - by now you can throw something together for the cost of an XP Pro retail license.....

Here is a thought

How many Microsoft office users know what the product they use every day costs ???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by fredjones
    ..is there a legal issue to this or can you legally buy a pc with a pre activated xp if you remove from hard drive within say a week
    Ha! There's very much a legal dimension to this. Legal in the sense that Microsoft will give them a large boot up the behind & a day out in court if they find out about it. Telling the users that they "must uninstall" after seven days won't help these sellers at all. I've no sympathy whatsoever for people who sell unlicensed software. None. Selling a preinstalled OS like this and trying to get out of paying the charge for the OS puts these disreputable types at an unfair advantage compared to other small builders who are trying to make an honest buck. Something the relevant report lines (1800-555762 to report it directly to the Beast of Redmond in Ireland or the BSA have a nice online form) are probably always interested in hearing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmm, well technically, the user hasnt bought the OS so its stolen and the supplier has given them an illegal OS.

Knoppix may be an idea for these people methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Well I have a few Microsoft Business Desktop Evaluation Kits from Microsoft and they have fully working versions of Win/Office XP, which has a 120-day Limit of use...

The resellers obviously have a similar licence for trial versions that are bundled with P.C’s so I don't think anything illegal is going on.

Could always give the Software Alliance (similar to F.A.S.T in the U.K) a ring to check things out....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You mean the Business Software Alliance, that relies on confidence tricks and bribery to achieve it's ends?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Originally posted by dahamsta
    You mean the Business Software Alliance, that relies on confidence tricks and bribery to achieve it's ends?

adam

Could you elaborate on that? havn't heard that about them before...

I mentioned the BSA in the context of checking the legitimateness of the trial licence, or even better after reading Sceptre's post - Microsoft(Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by dahamsta

adam

I belive its the same BSA who dont know the difference between Microsoft Office and OpenOffice ;)

Advertisement