Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1800 bill from Eircom

Options
  • 03-08-2003 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Just checked the usage stats for my eircon 1meg dsl line
    you can see the screen shot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well if thats not a mistake your fu*ked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If you're downloading that much, why don't you just sign up for the uncapped one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Hope you're rich mate..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sorry, but i've no sympathy! 725%! Come on, you must have known a company like Eircom doesn't do free lunches!

Couldn't you have restrained yourself a little and just edged over the cap to see whether eircom would charge you or not?

Guess we'll see a flood of ppl getting charged for cap now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

how the hell did you go that much over the cap, bloody hell what were you dling the entire internet.

eircom have been wrong in usage stats before, but by a couple of 100 megs here and there, but not by the usage thats indicated there.

hope you got deep pockets and restarin yourself in future for god sake otherwise eircom will start charging everyone who goes over the cap even just a little bit

shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

first has anyone been charged yet for going over there bandwith limit ?
    as far as i know if you go over your cap too much eircom will ask you to move to the higher uncapped ADSL. but they still might ask you to pay the bill :(
    but at €36 per GB it's total over the top charge.
    (most ISP's in the EU chage about €1 per gb over there cap but not eircom)

Coyote

i agree coyote the over the cap rate is to high

but jesus 725% nearly 10 times more than your allowed you have to be just a little bit understanding of Eircom in this

Id make him pay tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

all i can say is, you better be pulling our legs. you better have fabricated that screenshot, or at least be working for Eircom... otyherwise you're screwed mightily.

It'd be pretty funny though if that was work internet.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The total uploads is whats getting me.. Someone is sharing their whole music catalogue of Kazaa methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jimhenson

No I didnt fabricate it :)

was just curious to check out what it was this morning,
    I had originally ordered the uncapped service from Eircom
    cos i wanted the static IP but despite ringing the about 15-20 times they never sorted it...

I'm working for myself now, I work from home and my wife uses it for watching streaming tv news from china and for Video chat with her parents who have dsl in shanghai too (€15 month uncapped)

but 1870 euros is a joke, and I'm not paying (I ordered theupcapped in the first place) & going to move over to esat.

• Advertisement

:D well no offence you used it you have to pay it.Theirs no point crying about not getting uncapped you went along with the cap and MASSIVELY abused it

if i was eircom id make you pay in anyway i can and remember eircom owns your line theirfore they can cut you you going to esat wont help much (i would think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I know it takes a hell of a lot for anyone here to feel sorry for Errorcon but I still stand on the side of Mr. 725% there.

I don't have that particular service but I presume that package doesn't have any mechanism to warn you when you're getting close to the 10gig line otherwise I'm logically guessing Jim there would not have gone over the usage allowance to such an extent as he did? Right Jim? :confused: + :)

Stand by your guns on that 1 mate. Eircom can shove their 2grand up their arses as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick of hearing about ISP's stining people with the first bills just because they know they can. I'm guessing that (unless you ARE a real net-hog like people here seem to think?) this instance is no different and as such I've no sympathy for them.

Originally posted by jimhenson
    No I didnt fabricate it :)

was just curious to check out what it was this morning,
    I had originally ordered the uncapped service from Eircom
    cos i wanted the static IP but despite ringing the about 15-20 times they never sorted it...

I'm working for myself now, I work from home and my wife uses it for watching streaming tv news from china and for Video chat with her parents who have dsl in shanghai too (€15 month uncapped)

but 1870 euros is a joke, and I'm not paying (I ordered theupcapped in the first place) & going to move over to esat.

M8 ye cant cry over spilled milk to be honest you massively abused the service, doesnt matter that you ordered the uncapped service from them, you used the service that you got, you cant expect then to turn around and complain about a 1800 pound bill, you knew the terms and conditions, you knew you didnt have the uncapped service, so unfortunately you gotta pay this and take it like a man, im no eircom lover dear god i hate them with a passion, but in this case there absolutely friggin right

Regards
    Shin

hat package doesn't have any mechanism to warn you when you're getting close to the 10gig line otherwise I'm logically guessing Jim there would not have gone over the usage allowance to such an extent as he did? Right Jim?

WTF where the hell is the logic their ?

your looking at a screen shot of that "mechanism to warn you"

he broke the rules he had a system to warn him be a big anuff person to pay for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

i cant believe u downloaded that much. how i wonder!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

oh i just saw that now.
    10 gig download allowance.
    what package is that and how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

yea what package is that? :/

It's eircoms business DSL package. Jeez lads, don't be so lazy, tis all on eircom.ie or adsl.ie! :)

I also agree jimhenson should pay the bill....you can check your usage stats on the very webpage he posted here as a screenshot! Not to mention dlmetres!
    Whining that eircom didn't switch you over to the uncapped service when you asked them to isn't going to make a difference, you KNEW you were on a capped service and you blatantly disregarded the cap.... it's entirely your fault if those usage stats are correct...take responsibility for your actions and pay the bill, jimhenson.

And then move to netsource/esat :)

ahhhhhh ethos why bother when we have a lovely lady like you to do it for us :D

Originally posted by bizmark
    ahhhhhh ethos why bother when we have a lovely lady like you to do it for us :D

eth0_ is not your mother :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Just checked mine For August. Whoowhoo!!
    :D
    Excess of 13MB at 3 cents per MB is €0.39

Close enough to perfection!

WTF where the hell is the logic their ?

your looking at a screen shot of that "mechanism to warn you"

he broke the rules he had a system to warn him be a big anuff person to pay for it

Like I said I don't use that service but what I'm talking/enquiring about about an on-screen prompt that warns you AS SOON AS you get within 10gigs rather than some billing info page which is the responsibility of each user to consult. If this package has such a thing then fine - squeeze the guy for every last cent - but I'm guessing from the numbers mentioned that it clearly doesn't?

Now I agree that from an Eircom POV there's absolutely no logic in having a pop-up style warning because they're quite happy for him to leave it on 24 hours a day running up a huge bill. But when bills of this amount are occuring it might have been even slightly reasonable of them to automatically warn people that they are about 5 minutes away from pissing their next few weeks paychecks down the drain.

You say that a billing page like the one featured is a suitable mechanism to warn anyone but clearly the guy there is giving the impression that he'd already hit e1800 by the time he'd given the issue his first attention so it wasn't of much use to him. Admittedly it was pretty careless (or stupid) of him to leave it that long without consulting his billing info but when you're new to a service it's sometimes easy to get carried away.

So the 'logic' I see there is that Eircom may have stung the guy for 1800 but they've probably lost him as a customer for good - and all for the sake of a little usage warning window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

So a persons wife talks to her parents in China by streaming video and gets stung for 2000 by a monopoly called Eircom....and people here have the neck to say "it serves you right". What planet do u people live on? Its like whatever they do is right...no wonder we have a nation of morons willing to accept whatever's thrown at them.

Pigman

the guy d/l 62 GIG of info ...............GIG!!!! jesus 62 is the size of a pritty big hard drive

NO one could be that dear i say it "stupid" to not know their d/ling so much info

If you to lazy to check the site thats not eircoms fault
    eth0_ is not your mother :P

Eh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jimhenson

No I have to disagree with some of the comments made earlier from day 1, I ordered the eircom i-stream enhanced package because I specifically wanted the static IP address and the uncapped service because I work from home and my wife uses it a lot too and at the time other packages only had a 6 gig limit.

I have had the service since feb and have regularly been on to Eircon to set me up with the static IP and move me over to the correct package that I had originally ordered and it still hasn’t been done.

So I'm not paying for Eircom incompetence.

Originally posted by jimhenson
    No I have to disagree with some of the comments made earlier from day 1, I ordered the eircom i-stream enhanced package because I specifically wanted the static IP address and the uncapped service because I work from home and my wife uses it a lot too and at the time other packages only had a 6 gig limit.

I have had the service since feb and have regularly been on to Eircon to set me up with the static IP and move me over to the correct package that I had originally ordered and it still hasn’t been done.

So I'm not paying for Eircom incompetence.

unfortunately theyll see ya in court then

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It isn't their incompetence you're paying for, it's yours. If they told you you were on the uncapped and then it turned out you were not THEN it would be paying for their incompetence. You were aware of the service you were using, correct? You were aware of the limit, correct? Then by right you'll be paying. Don't get me wrong, I hate Eircom as much as the next guy, but as far as this case goes you don't really deserve much sympathy. If you didn't check your download progress (which I find inexplicable anyway) then your responsible. Remember what you signed up for, that's what mattered, not what you wanted to sign up for.

All that said, give it a go and just tell them you can't afford to pay. Maybe they can sort something out. Only in Ireland could this happen to someone :) Best of luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

C'mon, its not eircoms fault that this guy went so far over his usage. Its his own fault. If he wanted to stay in the cap he should have checked it before he downloaded 60+ gigs.

Now lets do a quick sum.... supposing he gets full 120kb's down at all times (very unlikely) that would be over 166 hours of non-stop usage to get all that down. That is about one week of non-stop usage.

Now thinking logically about this, he must have known that downloading that fast you must be chewing up the cap. Also, streaming video? That is a really big bandwidth hog.

Now, you say you ordered the uncapped service. Then WHY did you go for a capped service. You can't excuse that as a mistake, as you had to have signed your contract!

If you don't pay Eircom can take you to court, sue you for the money AND the court-costs, and they will win hands down, no matter what you try to pull. You signed the contract, and knew full well what you were going in for. YOU abused the service, not eircom. it was up to YOU, the user to watch what your connection was doing.

If you're lucky, Eircom might let you off with only paying a few hundred, so long as you agree to move to the uncapped service, they might even say you have to use the uncapped service for two years, who knows. But i greatly doubt that Eircom will let you off scot free. If they do, other customers will use the same excuse as you and that is not in Eircoms intrests. You can only hope for a reduced bill, and an offer to join the uncapped service on a 1-3 year contract.

Either way, its your own fault, you can't go complaining now that you didn't get your uncapped service, you can only hope Eircom are feeling VERY generous. They are well within their rights to nab you for the full amoung.

btw, i hope you've stopped your downloading and streaming tv unless you want to pay more.

the guy d/l 62 GIG of info ...............GIG!!!! jesus 62 is the size of a pritty big hard drive
    It's a lot alright but say you downloaded one divx movie a day that would probably write off 20 gigs of that right away. One thing I've learnt about bandwidth is that as soon as it becomes available people find a way to use it :) It's 20gigs to you an me but it's 'a movie' to someone who doesn't know jack about the internet.
    NO one could be that dear i say it "stupid" to not know their d/ling so much info
    [/B]
    Again just because we know what megs and gigs are doesn't mean that everyone does. Say I-stream was the first net package you'd ever used you'd presume that downloading huge files all the time was the norm.
    If you to lazy to check the site thats not eircoms fault
    [/B]
    Like daithi1 there alluded to , just because we aren't vigilant over pricing does that mean that it should be open season to rip off consumers? If a pub charges you e6 for a pint of Guinness should you just sit there grumbling about it to yourself whilst the landlord laugh all the way to the banks?

//

Also Jimhenson if you've had the sevice since Feb how did you manage to over run it but so much in the month of July?

I was defending your position on the premise that you were a newbie to the package but if you've been using it 5 months now and still managed to clock up that much of a bill then I can't see where you're coming from?

• Advertisement

that would probably write off 20 gigs of that right away

Eh whats your point the man was robbing move,s so its ok ? and at the same time going over his cap by 100%
    Again just because we know what megs and gigs are doesn't mean that everyone does. Say I-stream was the first net package you'd ever used you'd presume tha downloading huge files all the time was the norm.

no i would read the T&C and look at the big number 10 gig and make sure the little number doesnt go over it by 725%
    Like daithi1 there alluded to , just because we aren't vigilant over pricing does that mean that it should be open season to rip off consumers? If a pub charges you e6 for a pint of Guinness should you just sit there grumbling about it to yourself whilst the landlord laugh all the way to the banks?

That makes no sence so to get one back on this over chargeing we should all go mad and d.l every thing they say in court "hey you know its 3c per meg THATS AWFUL" the judge would look at you and laugh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement