Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.avi files playable on dvd player ?¿

Options
  • 03-08-2003 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have some .avi files that I would like to watch on my dvd player could anybody help me. Can I just burn straight to cd with them or will I have to convert the files into another format. Any help greatly appreciated thanks.
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hmmm DVD's will only play Mpeg2..... however I dont really have a clue what I'm on about.....

John

TBH, I dont think they will play anything except Mpeg2. Unless you've got a dodgy dvd player that will handle AVI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tom1

Ive found a tutorial here http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=59488
    for the conversion of .avi into mpeg hope that helps anybody else trying to watch similar files thanks for the quick response anyway mate
    adios
    tom

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

AVI is a format that may require any one of a number of codecs to play. If you rename an mpg file to avi it'll still play on your PC. It's the codec that's all-important rather than the extension (technically it's more complicated than this wrt avi always being an interleaved format but you're probably not concerned about this).

All DVD players will play MPEG2 files, many will play MPEG1 files (usually in the form of a VCD).Some (very few so far) will play MPEG4 files.

Unless your AVI file is actually an mpeg file in disguise (which is pretty unlikely) you'll have to convert it to MPEG2 (& to an SVCD or proper DVD) or to MPEG1 (& to a VCD) to have any possibility of playing it on your DVD player.

Some info on the AVI format here. For info on actually making a disc you can play on your player, this is regarded as one of the best sources of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tom1

Cheers for the reply mate that helps a lot
    thanks
    tom

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by tom1
    Cheers for the reply mate that helps a lot
    Actually thank you - that link you provided will be quite useful to me at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

What you need to do is convert the file from Avi to Mpeg1 (VCD) or Mpeg2 (DVD). The best tool for doing this is TMPGenc. Links to guides for coverting Avi to VCD & avi to DVD.

Advertisement