Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connection speeds:download speeds

Options
  • 03-08-2003 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

ok, when ya connect at 49kbs with dial up or somewhere around 49kbs you only download at about a max of 7 or 8, and with broadband at 512 a usual maximum of about 60. can someone tell me why this is? and how to work out download speeds from connection speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i think you just get the D/l speed and * it by 8

Ie

54 kbps * 8 = 432

I THINK !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

yea its usually divide by 10 or 8.. into ure connection speed

so moden connected at 52kbps can give u a dload rate of max between 5.2 kbs (divied by 10) and 6.5 kbps (divied by 8) you rarly get this on a 56k modem due to it being an analoug (spelling?) line.

512kbs connection :: Divided by 10 :: 51 Kb

512kbs connection :: Divided by 8 :: 64kbs

Tbh the last one doesnt sound to right so I usually go inbetween the both of them, and that gets u you rough max dload speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

512kbps Divided by 8 = 64kb's. Max theroetical on 512k connection

Modem: 56kbps Divided by 8 = 8kbps max theretical, but no-ones copper line is good enough qualitywise to reach anywhere near this, the usual max is about 4-5kb's on 56k.

please note that dividing by 8 changes the kbps to kb's/sec. this is more usefull as all files are measured in kb's (kilobytes)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

but if your connected at say 512 and the max you can download at is 64 whats the other 448 doing? can whoever answers this stay fairly non technical cause i've got a head ache (hangover)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

In the 512 example:
    512 is Kilobits.
    There's 8 bits in a byte
    Downloads are measured in kilobytes.
    512/8 = 64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

LOL the mod of broadband doesn't know how to calculate dl.... :confused::D

LOL the mod of broadband doesn't know how to calculate dl....

I was right :D but didnt want the poster to talk my word on it because i couldnt remember

And their,s notting their to say you cant be stupid and a mod ........people can be stupid and post so why not ! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I've found from my experince using DSL that most every time i get 53.8K downstream, actual data transfer rate. It depends on the website you are using. The Microsoft servers are superfast...i use them as a guide.

But i would recomend you download a large file, to get a good idea. I have seen speeds peak at 172K and drop very quickly to settle around the 52-64K range.

But the average speeds i see are 53-54K, i am most pleased with this. On 56K dial-up i got a connection speed of 40-42K, but download speeds never got past 4-6K.

And i have to admit...since last Tuesday the DSL service has been flying...even during peak hours.

i think you just get the D/l speed and * it by 8

Ie

54 kbps * 8 = 432

You were nearly right, you should have written, 54kb/sec * 8 = 432KBPS
    you got the measurements backwards :-p

Shut it! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Being even more pedantic, KB (Big K, Big B) denotes KiloBytes.
    Kb (Big K, Small b) denotes Kilobits.

Slightly digressing, KBps = KB/s = KiloBytes per second.
    Kbps = Kb/s = Kilobits per second (sometimes still referred to as "baud").

Now you know, pass it on.

**shudders** what have i created...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

A monster!!!

*cackles evilly and then trails off semi-embarrassed*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭B0rG

mind you, Einsteins,
    that 1KiloBit is not 1000 Bits but 1024, same thing applies to kilobytes and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Right incase anyones confused from all of the above i'll try to explain it in English.

Connections are measured in KiloBits (kb) but files (and download speeds) are usually measures in KiloBytes.(kB)

In every KiloByte there are 8 kiloBits.
    So if your connection is 512kiloBit you will download at 64KiloBytes.

KIloBytes and KiloBits are two different ways of measuring file sizes. Kind of like Miles and Killometres where 1kilometre = 0.62miles. Just different ways of measuing something.
    Modem: 56kbps Divided by 8 = 8kbps max theretica
    Just like to point out that 56kb/s / 8 = 7 (not 8 :p )
    that 1KiloBit is not 1000 Bits but 1024, same thing applies to kilobytes and so on.
    There are: (as was said above)
    1024 bytes= 1 kilobyte
    1024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte
    1024megabytes= 1gigabyte
    ..and so forth.

For the reasons see http://sharpened.net/helpcenter/answer.php?40

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Oh B-k YOUR my hero :)

Massive Attack - Teardrops=mp3

^^
    Cheapest for of avertising I can find . * Go Boards *

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

they should get new initials for either kilobits or kilobites, there's such much confusion. why cant they have names like dave and paul. like there 8 pauls in a dave

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dave Roe

I think there's another factor that you should be taking into account. Baud rate, such as the 56k that your modem claims it can handle isa very raw measure. It includes some basic eror checking between the modem and your ISP, but not all the overhead that TCP/IP layers on, which will reduce your effective download speed. If your ftp down a file then the app your using and your OS uses up quite a bit of your bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Indeed that is why on 64k ISDN you will usually download at 7.5 (at least i do) instead of 8.
    Oh B-K YOUR my hero :)
    ROFL

Griffdaddy: it confused the fook out of me at first as well. You'll get used to it. If they'd named em different tho i guess we'd never have to get used to it.

• Advertisement

Just like to point out that 56kb/s / 8 = 7 (not 8 )

hey, i do honours maths... i can count... 1, 2 , 3, many, many 1, many 2, many 3, many many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Has anyone on Broadband gotten the full 64KB/s download? The most i get now is 55-60(microsoft servers are just freakishyly fast but thats cos theres a direct connection up to their server on windows update...)

Advertisement