Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL interview in next Sunday Tribune

Options
  • 03-08-2003 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just a note to say that in next Sundays Tribune the Ethos
    column will carry an interview with IOFFL chairman Christian Cooke.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

More good press...nice to see. Look forward to reading it:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Fergus is very sympathetic to our cause, so it should be extremely valuable coverage.

adam /waves at fergus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Fergus is very sympathetic to our cause, so it should be extremely valuable coverage.
    Indeed. Fergus also takes time to write proper email replies to any he gets (at least he did with me this week) which I quite appreciate. The column is placed on his site on Mondays for anyone who's unaware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump! Dont forget to support your local telecoms presure group...
    we can all write a nice e-mail to the Tribune letters page after.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Plus, I would just like to add that MR FERGUS CASSIDY is an accredited member of NUJ Union i.e. National Union of Journalists, which gives him some real credibility!.

Paddy20.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Fergus Cassidy

Hi all

My interview with Christian is in the Tribune's business section, which I'll put online in due course.

BUT...... I only found out today (Sat) that the main business interview in tomorrow's paper is with... gulp... Philip Nolan, Eircom's chief executive. He's interviewed by Brian Carey, the Business editor:

Nolan rules out one of the company's mobile options: picking up the 3G licence Meteor passed up on during the tender. "I would have my doubts about whether there is room for three 3G operators in the market, never mind four," he says.

The interview won't be online unfortunately, but BUYING the paper is not the worst thing in the world :)

regards
    Fergus

but BUYING the paper is not the worst thing in the world

I'm a recent convert...been reading the tribune for the last couple of months...your upcoming article just confirms that i am picking up the right sunday off the shelf:D

Bump! Dont forget to support your local telecoms presure group...
    we can all write a nice e-mail to the Tribune letters page after.

Agreed. Just like bad journalism deserves comment... good, progressive journalism equalily deserves recognition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Fergus Cassidy

"I would have my doubts about whether there is room for three 3G operators in the market, never mind four," he says.

The interview won't be online unfortunately, but BUYING the paper is not the worst thing in the world :)

Not ruling out MVNO status then is he :D

Yes Fergus, no red tops in my households tomorrow bar yours.

Any chance of a piece on wireless to fit in with the spectrum auction over the next month to six weeks?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Good interview.

Nice to see the new thrust of Ireland Offline being bandied about in a national :)

I assume that was you breaking your 'press cherry' as chairman xian? well done :)

So, as someone who never buys newspapers anymore, will I have too wait until tomorrow to read it on the Fergus Cassidy website?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Paddy20
    So, as someone who never buys newspapers anymore, will I have too wait until tomorrow to read it on the Fergus Cassidy website?..
    Yes.

as someone who never buys newspapers anymore, will I have too wait until tomorrow to read it on the Fergus Cassidy website?..
    If you ever do buy a Sunday Paddy, reward good progressive journalism and buy the Tribune. In the meantime, article below for your review :D

Access all Areas:

IRELANDOFFLINE(IOFFL) is one of the country's most active and successful internet campaigning groups. Founded less than two years ago, its main goal was to push for affordable, unmetered and broadband access to the net.So where exactly are we right now?
    Christian Cooke, the group's newly-elected chairman, unfolded his map and gave me directions.

Q. When founded, IOFFL was seen in some circles as a group of cranks and whiners and probably could have met in a telephone box. What happened since then?
    Thats been a bit of a misconception from the start. The truth is our membership, is now about 3,000, is made up of a cross-section of the public, from small business to residential users, from gamers to the disabled, from students to professionals.

Q. What about resources? As a voluntary group i'm guessing that they were in short supply.
    Yes, we're a voluntary organisation, and with everyone making their contribution in their spare time you have to rely on the dedication of the members and the committee to get things done. They're a very dedicated crowd, a case in point being the outgoing chairman, Dave Long.

Q. IOFFL was sticking its nose in areas where ordinary users of the internet weren't that welcome up to that point. What kind of reception did you get?
    Very positive, in fact. What has served us well has been our independence. We decided from the beginning that we would not have any affiliations with any commercial organisations and we could therefore be relied on to give impartial opinions.

Q. You have to compete with some heavy-hitters when it comes to getting your views accross. Has this been a problem?
    The real difficulty has been to see through the spin. To counter this we have a lively public forum(www.boards.ie/irelandoffline) where every development is dissected to seperate the wheat from the chaff. Take the latest malarkey on 'wireless hot spots' as an example. Big business is trying to convince people that priority should be given to making sure people can connect to the internet in pubs, airports and hotels, and paying by the hour for the privilege. That's all well and good if you have a laptop and that's where you spend your days, but not much use if you want to pay a reasonable fixed charge monthly to access the internet in your home or office.

Q. Over the last few years, there was a lot of pessimism about net access in Ireland. Have those days gone for good?
    Not yet. There are positive events on the horizon, though - the Metropolitan Area Network is due to go live soon, albeit curtailed from the originally planned 123 towns. This will give wireless operators a facility to connect back to the internet at the same price whether they're in Dublin or Donegal.
    The ESB fibre network is also coming on stream, although theres still some work to do to make it feasible for local internet service providers to connect to it. There's also a number of wireless operators setting up which bodes well for future competition.
    ComReg seems to have got the message too and is doing work on freeing up spectrum for wireless services. Most important, though, is minister Ahern's apparent resolve to grasp the nettle and force real change.

Q. From the point of view of individual users, where would you place Irelands internet infrastructure at the moment?
    Quite poor. Our main disadvantage all along has been the lack of competition in the last mile to drive the introduction of new services. In countries such as the US and the UK, it was the introduction of cable internet access that drove the roll-out of DSL by the telcos.
    Here, the cable infrastructure is largely incapable of providing internet access because of the age of the network. That's why the way forward is to promote alternative last-mile access.

The advantage for ireland is that innovation in the provision of broadband over the airwaves is progressing at breakneck speed, with new standards and products being introduced all the time.
    If Ireland were to have a nationwide wireless network, we would stand to benefit directly from this innovation, leaving our peers in the dust as they try to squeeze the last drops of bandwidth out of their phone lines and cble because its been years since there was a new develoipment in the delivery of braodband over copper.

Q. Some of IOFFL's aims would also benefit business users. Has the campaign had any reaction from the business community?

A significant proportion of our members are small businesses. There is obvious synergy between our objectives and those of businesses in general because promoting real competition is good for all of us.

Q. You've become chairman at a time when it seems most of the aims of IOFFL have been addressed, or are being addressed, in some form or another. So you've a relaxing time ahead then?

On the contrary. Achieving flat-rate broke the logjam on internet access caused by the reluctance of Eircom to loosen its grip on the huge amount of revenue generated by per minute charges. This has led to more affordable dial-up and some progress in the rollout of DSL services.
    The task ahead is to create an environment where such a logjam cannot occur again, where real competition is introduced to make sure affordable internet access is available to everyone and to ensure continued innovation in future.
    Right now all we have is one last-mile infrastructure controlled by a monopoly, and a number of other operators reselling the services they offer - hardly conductive to competition is it? No, there's still a lot of work to do.

Q. At the recent AGM, you spoke of a new direction for IOFFL, in particular, alternative technologies focusing on the last-mile technologies focusing on the delivery of affordable robust internet access. Why the change in direction and why now?

Its not so much a change in direction as a change of focus. Our objective has always been affordable internet access. We've always known that while flat-rate was essential in the short term, there would have to be real competition in the last mile for sustainable interent growth here.
    We've shown by our successful campaign for flat-rate how focusing on one issue can change things across the board; now we're turning our focus to the wireless alternative last mile as we believe this will have the greatest effect in promoting innovation in the services available.

Q. Do you envisage a closer working relationship with IrishWAN, the community-based wireless group?
    I believe the success of IrishWAN will be crucial. They're showing people that they shouldnt have to wait forever for internet access, that they can do something about it themselves by setting up as a community and providing for their own needs.
    It's a lot like the group water schemes: you know where a well is dug and the water shared out because the local authority cant connect people to the mains water supply. Communities come together when necessary to get an essential service no-one else will provide for them. IrishWAN is all about helping people set up group data schemes and we'll do everything we can to make sure they succeed.

Q. And finally, do you ever see a time when IOFFL will be hanging up the 'Gone Fishing' sign?
    Absolutely, but not before we've got Ireland Online. Let's see how far we get in the next 12 months.

/Eurorunner removes fingers from keyboard and places in basin of water/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

BRAVO XIAN BRAVO

:D:D:D:D:D

Shin

Eurorunner,

What can I say except very many thanks for posting the Tribune article, and I have taken on board your advice re: buying the Tribune on a Sunday!. Just hop your fingers are now alright again?.. I feel many more people than just me, will be very grateful to you for your kind generosity of spirit.

I thought posting an article was as simple as scanning it on to the appropriate website/forum, but as I have never done it myself, I am not sure of the easiest method, maybe sceptre* might let us know?..

As for the article itself. Well, Xian has started as Chaiman with the best humdingger of a coup for IrelanOFFline, its committee, and its members that I personally have ever read.

Many thanks Xian, and more strength to your elbow. Make mine a large one?..thanks.

Cograts again. This type of exposure for IOFFL will in the straightforward manner in which it has been written. Be of incalculable help to IOFFL and the campaign, as it explains a lot that the average member of the public and many Politicians and Journalists would not previously have been able to grasp properly, but Fergus has managed to explain a complex issue plain everyday language. This is the mark of a true honest professional Journalist and he certainly has my gratitude for doing it.

All the best.

Paddy.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Originally posted by Fergus Cassidy
    Hi all

My interview with Christian is in the Tribune's business section, which I'll put online in due course.

regards
    Fergus

I bought it, nice article :-) esp the irishwan.org mention ...

cheers!
    Dave
    MidWest Vice Chairman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Aw, shucks!

Well, there's no going back: our colours are firmly nailed to the mast now. 12 months to follow through, people.

Ta.

Advertisement