Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADSL connection in rented room. What to look out for?

• 03-08-2003 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving into shared accommdation (single room) that has an ADSL connection. This is being shared around to another bedroom. I'm told I need an ADSL modem. I have a recent P4 laptop (but USB1.1 and 10/100 network card). I'm not familar with ADSL having only Dial up until now. The previous owner of the room is selling his modem. What should I look out for ? The rent includes the cost of the ADSL connection.

* Is there usually a problem with a Cap limit (ADSL)?

* How does kind of connection does an eternal connection ADSL modem need? Can it go from the modem to my network card via a cat-5 cable or via the USB port? As I understand ADSL is 100 faster than a dialup 56K modem....

* How much should I pay for a typical external ADSL modem?

I'm sure I'm missing something else I should be asking?

Thanks,
    Hamster.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by hamster
    * Is there usually a problem with a Cap limit (ADSL)?
    Depends which service you're signed up to. If the rent of the room includes the cost of the connection, the person you're renting from knows.

* How does kind of connection does an eternal connection ADSL modem need? Can it go from the modem to my network card via a cat-5 cable or via the USB port?

Either or. Depends on the modem. There are a few thread in the Broadband forum discussing different brands of modem.
    As I understand ADSL is 100 faster than a dialup 56K modem....

Only if you're an Eircom salesman or are developing DSL in a lab. Or had an unusable connection before. There's no commercially available ADSL in this country that goes anywhere near 100 times faster than 56k. More like 5, 10 or 20, depending on whether your service is 256k, 512k or 1Mb.

* How much should I pay for a typical external ADSL modem?

Have a look in the Broadband forum for reviews/prices/etc.
    I'm sure I'm missing something else I should be asking?
    Don't think so to be honest. Yopu will need to know who the service is with though in case you ever have problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thanks for advice sceptre!

I've looked around and found a bewildering number of options. I now know I definitely need an external ADSL modem. But I'm confused if I need anything else.

In summary, I have a laptop with:
    * internal 10/100 network card
    * 2 usb slots

What more could I need after an external DSL modem, ie can the nework card be used to connect to the DSL modem with a cat-5 cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Your choices are either an ethernet modem for about €100 that will plug into your network card (they'll even throw in your cat5 cable for free :)) or a USB modem for about €80. You can get both types a bit cheaper if you're willing to buy from overseas tho. The ethernet modems tend to be a bit more reliable and have less problems because they don't use any software, but a USB modem will more than likely do you just fine if you want to save a bit of cash. That's all the equipment you'll need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Just been re-reading your original post. If you're sharing a connection with someone else in another room, you wouldn't use a second modem. What you need is one modem between the 2 of you and a router to share the connection. You can also get routers with a built in modem. The router will connect to your network card with cat5 the same as an ethernet modem would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭pete

I'd be worried about people running packet sniffing software in that situation....

• Advertisement
Advertisement