Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has $ircon ever charged someone ....

Options
  • 03-08-2003 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Has $ircon ever charged anyone 4 going over the cap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

yes
    see jimhensons thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

afaik he has yet to recieve a bill for it, but that will arrive shortly.

And any good business man will advertise they reserve the right to charge, and will not charge for minor infrignments, like going 30 megs over, they may even let people off who go 1 or 2 gigs over, so long as they don't always do it e.g. its a once off thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

and id say if you go over the cap by say 3-10% they wont bother anything higher and they will take notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

yeah he still has to get the bill
    he might not get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have to admit to feeling somewhat sorry for the fella, but he did just abuse the cap, he bloody raped it...

I would have no doubt in suggesting Eircom has over charged people on their bills, but I am guessing that they automatically credit customer back when this happens without the customer even knowing it ever happened. I am now waiting for the "I doubt they credit it back automatically because they are evil" people to dismiss that however.. And no I dont have any firm facts to back that up. However, I know for a fact Vodafone do it, and Eircell did when they were owned by Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

They probably wouldn't charge someone 1000's of Euros for going over the CAP. It just wouldn't make any sense. The 100% uncapped service is 220Euros.
    I'd say you'd be given a choice of pay us a few 100Euros extra this month and don't do it again or sign up for the uncapped service and we'll forget all about it.
    If the idea is for Eircom to make 1000's of Euros per month out of people then it hasn't been very effective yet since not a single person has been billed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Nice answering of a question noone asked; jesus :)

It being Eircom, I'd say they will charge you. Sure aren't they used to making you pay every penny for phonecalls etc...and the fact that they had to surrender their strangehold a little bit on Ireland will surely have them in a tight-fisted mood..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Originally posted by bugler
    Nice answering of a question noone asked; jesus :)

It being Eircom, I'd say they will charge you. Sure aren't they used to making you pay every penny for phonecalls etc...and the fact that they had to surrender their strangehold a little bit on Ireland will surely have them in a tight-fisted mood..

Hi wise-guy!
    Last month I went over the cap by €45. I was not charged.
    Good-bye wise-guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Guys keep it polite and friendly.
    I don’t know what happened to everyone in the last week or two but it’s got to stop.
    If you can’t be polite then your going to get a ban

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

yeah guys
    share the love :p

• Advertisement

I stand corrected, and surprised. Do people think this will last?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

hey, first of all do they charge you for going over the limit monthly or when you want to sign off, and bam! "sir, you went over the limit in july, and august so you have to add 200 euros" i think it's like that
    eircom is very clever snake
    my question is:
    what about for example, you didn't use much of the bandwidth in last months like u used 100 megs or 1 gig, and then next 2 months you used more than 6 gigs, when they'll send you the bill do they count(calculate) in the last month that you didn't spend bandwidth at all? i mean if i didn't spend bandwidth and then i spent some, why do they charge me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    i mean if i didn't spend bandwidth and then i spent some, why do they charge me?

Because they can, if they stated it in the contract and you signed said contract, deal with it. It's like 'free minutes' on mobile phone contracts, you can't carry them over either...

Anyway, this is off topic, and you question is something you should really be asking Eircom..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by bizmark
    and id say if you go over the cap by say 3-10% they wont bother anything higher and they will take notice
    Why do you say that?

because people have been doing this and not being charged Though i wouldnt do it in case one day eircom/esat just say
    "Feck it lets make those freeloaders pay"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by bizmark
    because people have been doing this and not being charged Though i wouldnt do it in case one day eircom/esat just say
    "Feck it lets make those freeloaders pay"
    It doesn't look like anyone's ever been charged, plus I doubt there's any "cut off" points as to how much over the caps you can go.

well frank you can do what the other guy did and go 725% over you cap and hope to what ever god you worship that they wont try to make you pay

Or you can play it safe and either keep to the cap or dip your little toe in the over cap issue to make sure it wont be riped off

thats up to you

bizmark is right, you should be careful, never know when these guys will decide to charge

but i still didn't get my answer, do they charge you for over downloading monthly or when you want to sign off?

i tryed to ring them and they didn't know :( they told me my cap would be reset the day i signed, now i find out it isn't so, they didn't tell me they had download meters, thanks for this forum, i got all the info

but i still didn't get my answer, do they charge you for over downloading monthly or when you want to sign off?

Cyber no one really knows tbh

Thats what this post proves above all no one has a clue what eircom/esat/utv will do and when till will do it :(

k, i'm sighing off this month, it's my 12th, so i'll let you know what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

theres a few things i want to say

ok so the original topic of this thread was "has eircon ever charged someone for going over their cap...". Like it was said no one knows. i've rang eircon several times and they assured me if anyone went over the cap they would be charged. i mentioned that i had been told that no one had been charged before and he said that with the new rADSL that would all change and everyone would now be charged for every MB they went over.

well thats what i wanted to say about the topic but theres somethin else i wanted to say. i've been on boards for a few months now and as u may have noticed from my number of posts i dont reguarly contribute to these threads. tbh i prefer to just sit back and read what others are saying, until reading this thread and the thread previous started by jim and his 1800EUR bill. what is wrong with you people. first off the man said he signed a contact for the uncapped service and they put him on the capped service, he also said that he rang up several times for them to switch him. therefore it doesnt matter what that screenshot of his usuage showed, he entered a legally binding contact for an uncapped service, if eircom arent providing him with that service thats their fault. he has the right to use with he signed for. that should be it... end of story

next onto bismarck and the rest of the "lets all bend over and take it from eircom" crew. i really dont mean to be offensive but you guys are the reason why we have such outrageously priced broadband options. you guys are the reason ireland has become the rip-off capital of the world. when this kinda of stuff happens to fellow country members, we should stand up and unite against this monopalisitc force. not sticking behind them and saying stuff like "i hope eircom take this guy for every penny..." etc. do you know who eircom are! they are the reason we are technologically retarded. it really does make me sick that you guys can turn around and say that you hope eircom take the money off this guy.

finally i wanted to talk about somethin else that was mentioned in this thread. about the cap and how if you don't use it you should carry it over etc. its as simple as this, if they are going to charge you 3c for every MB you go over the cap, then they should compensate you 3c for every MB you go under. i know it doesnt add up, and it shouldnt add up cuz the whole set up of "capping" broadband in this country is a joke. first of all there should be no cap, but if you are going to cap customers it should be to stop abuse, not to make a profit. 3cent per MB thats disgraceful, even by eircom's low standards.

to finish, if you see a guy been beaten up in a street by 30 guys in suits, you should call for help, not compliment them on their fine achievement

thank you and good night
    brian

brian's got a very good point there, in USA, they would all complain, eircom is a monopoly and we just tolerate their big prices

The mods didn't want this to be a continuation of the formerly closed thread, so I'll try and get this in quick :)

Jimhenson didn't say he signed a contract for the uncapped service until very late in the thread, by which time almost all the comments about it being his fault had been made. Read it again. If he did indeed sign a contract for the uncapped service, then why, or indeed how, was he given the capped? If he signed up to the uncapped and didn't sign up for any limit on download then he should be fine, it is eircon's fault and I doubt they'll even try to get the money. I hope for jim's sake this is what happened.

However, people made their comments on the basis that jim had been using the capped service and hadn't bothered checking his limit, and so deserved what he got. It's a fair enough point. You don't like Eircom or the services they provide, don't use them. Do not sign up to these services and then start crying over it when you know full well what the score is.

Back on topic, I just can't see broadband providers passing over the opportunity for profit offered by these caps in the long-term. If they do then it will become common knowledge and noone will bother going for their uncapped services. I'd be very cautious.

Perhaps eircom is playing a sadistic game.
    They pick random people to charge for going over the cap to satisfy their devilish needs. One guy goes "hey they don't charge" then the next one starts kazaaing and ends up with a 500 euro bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Excellently put bugler.
    Originally posted by brian_ire
    when this kinda of stuff happens to fellow country members, we should stand up and unite against this monopalisitc force.
    Some of us are. You come across as the kind of coherent chap I'd like to see posting over there Brian - or at least reading the useful stuff that sometimes pops up there & posting if you feel you've something useful to add.

Personally I find the DSL caps/allowances too low and the prices too high so I'm not signing up for any broadband service until the prices drop at least a little more. Not having a business that needs an always on or even frequently no connection, I can afford to wait. If I did sign up to a capped product I would fully recognise that overrunning the cap would result in my being charged. If jimhenson had mentioned that he had signed up for a particular service that he wasn't getting I'm pretty sure that the attitude from posters would have been entirely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you don't like it, DON'T sign up for it, and DON'T bitch about it. People will vote with their feet, evrywhere Eircom is available, so are the other adsl services. They have a choice, they made it, their fault. If they go over their cap and get charged, its their own fault, they signed up. They can always go with netsource... which is pretty much the same price and is uncapped...

Eircom will change their policies when they see a drop-off in customers. This will happen when the masses get a cheaper option advertised widely. People go with eircom because they're big, everyone knows them, and only a select few (mostly people who feel eircom are a monoply, which i agree they were (past tense)) hate them.

Eircom were the first to bring out broadband, they made the rules, FINE. Then more companies came out with nicer rules, people will find out about them, and then Eircom and other companies will eventually drop their stupid "pay if you break cap" rule, and at the very minimum will go onto a much nicer "reduce download speed by 75% for people who break their cap"

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    If you don't like it, DON'T sign up for it, and DON'T bitch about it. People will vote with their feet, evrywhere Eircom is available, so are the other adsl services. They have a choice, they made it, their fault. If they go over their cap and get charged, its their own fault, they signed up. They can always go with netsource... which is pretty much the same price and is uncapped...

Eircom will change their policies when they see a drop-off in customers. This will happen when the masses get a cheaper option advertised widely. People go with eircom because they're big, everyone knows them, and only a select few (mostly people who feel eircom are a monoply, which i agree they were (past tense)) hate them.

Eircom were the first to bring out broadband, they made the rules, FINE. Then more companies came out with nicer rules, people will find out about them, and then Eircom and other companies will eventually drop their stupid "pay if you break cap" rule, and at the very minimum will go onto a much nicer "reduce download speed by 75% for people who break their cap"

LOL.
    If everyone thought like you the world would be ruled by fascists and everyone would be walking around in grey clothing.
    Prices of everything would increase by 500%. Fancy some communism perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

companies will eventually drop their stupid "pay if you break cap" rule, and at the very minimum will go onto a much nicer "reduce download speed by 75% for people who break their cap"
    Gotta slap people harder than that. Most that kill the speed on hogs tend to drop them to ISDN or dialup rates.

If you look at jimhenson's numbers for example, he was maxing out his 256k upstream 24 hours a day every day of the month. Upstream isn't quite so contented as downstream, but a DSL company still can't let everyone do that on a 20:1 service and expect to survive.

Thier are simple points here

1.The caps are crap
    2.The cost of going over them are unreal

no one is saying they arent no one is saying their not unfair

BUT if you break the cap (which you know is their) and its not eircoms/esat/utv fault you really cant go crying about it

Im glad their people like sceptre and Ireland off line to fight against the caps/high costs ..........But untill the cap is gotten rid of either stick to it or pay for it when you break the rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

If you don't like it, DON'T sign up for it, and DON'T bitch about it. People will vote with their feet, evrywhere Eircom is available, so are the other adsl services. They have a choice, they made it, their fault. If they go over their cap and get charged, its their own fault, they signed up.

Fruit read the thread in question. The guy signed up for an uncapped service. He should not be charged.

I agree totally with Brians sentiments about the fact that he signed up a different service that he signed up for (altho there seems to be a certain Caveat Emptor there). Yes, it came out late in the thread but tbh, the attidude didnt seem to change when he did say it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement