Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language

Options
  • 30-07-2003 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Irish rocks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Spenguin

IRISH SUCKS!!!

I like monkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Irish does not suck, the curriculum does.

Irish is too complicated. Irish sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Irish rocks if u have a teacher whos halfway decent, and likes de subject.
    Except for tapework, grannys pretending to be teenagers is just WRONG!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭:D mags :D

Irish rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Spam spam spam spammity spam spam spam spammity... you get the idea.

<troll> :ninja:

I'll say what I've said before-some people like Irish, some don't. I find the language quite beautiful(perhaps my school(an all-Irish one)has been feeding me pro-Irish propaganda. Meh.), but others don't. Plus, don't say you don't like the language just because the curriculum is so damn awful. I propose a review of the curriculum. That would be of more worth than that giant ugly needle in the middle of O'Connell Street.

Good point.

I say we elect scarlett the next minister for education

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I say we elect me Minister for Defence (Which I will rename to Minister for War)

Next mod, next Minister for Education-Sweet Jesus I'm popular. *has fit due to not being used to being popular*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

/me waves....

still here!

I know, I know, I said next mod. We all still love you, Neil. *returns to plans for CTYI forum domination*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

OVERSIZED FONTS suck.

Just trying to make a point nosmo, oversize fonts are a good way of putting emphasis on something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

No worries, there's just been a bit of overUSE

This is a thread about the Irish language dammit! Stop wandering off topic! Sorry, I'm taking this 'next mod' (probably won't happen, just a joke, it would be ironic if it did actually happen) thing too far. But seriously, if you want to talk about fonts, start a thread about it.

Irish eh? Hmm... my irish teacher tripped up some guy in the middle of the corridor and everyone laughed. She gets mad at us for smiling. I hate irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭:D mags :D

I hate the way you get really really bad Irish teachers who make their students hate the language. I like my Irish teacher, I think she's really influenced the way I feel about it.
    I've never been to Irish college, and I'm not fluent, but I can hold a conversation in Irish and I love speaking it. I think it's great to have something no other country has.
    I agree with Scarlett though, the curriculum needs to be reviewed and something needs to be done about peoples attitudes towards it.
    At CTYI this year me and my friends would sometimes just start speaking Irish for no reason at all (or because there was Americans there ;) ) and we'd have a big conversation completely in Irish.
    Once again I must say: Irish rocks.

That is all.

I tend to start speaking Irish without knowing it. That's probably because I'm either speaking or writing it for the majority of my waking hours for nine months of the year. Sometimes I might slip a French sentence in by accident when I'm speaking, but that's only happened twice or thrice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i was not a big fan or irish, because i'm no good at languages and as aine said, the curriculum is awful, but then i went to irsh college this year, right before CTYI and as nearly anyone who knew me in CTYi will know, it had a lasting impression on me. I'm sure my RA group, who had to put up with the endless songs, can tell you all about my love for that little (actually it's fairly big) colaiste out past Spiddel in Galway. i probably shouldn't mention the name of it cuz, well, stuff has happened, but if ever you're too old for CTYI, go to the Gaelteacht with a bunch of your friends (there was twenty of us Muckers, it was great chraic)and enjoy the three weeks you have there. It's nearly but not quite as good as CTYI, providing you pick a good language orientated colaiste. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I hate the way you get really really bad Irish teachers who make their students hate the language.

I hated the language at school and after school because of bad teachers. But - I am just beginning to like the language again.

I am going to do a conversation course this September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Remember when Adam used to edit all non standard font posts... well within reason (a small usage tolerated for emphasis)... those were the days... <sigh>

As far as Irish goes, I found the most irritating bits of the course being the poetry and stories, simply because for the most part they sucked. Then again, they were probably about as tough as my standard could manage to keep up with...

I don't hate irish because of my teacher. My teacher is cool. If a bit mean. I hate irish because the spelling of the words change depending on where they are in the sentence all the time. And it annoys me because its so pointless, we don't need to know it. You people only like it because you can have a conversation without people knowing what you're saying. I know this mean guy, and he was in hospital, and there was this egyptian guy in the bed beside him. He was bored so he decided to insult the guy in Irish just for the fun. It turned out that the egyptian guy spoke irish. And Irish college sucks. I went there this year, it doesn't even compare with CTYI. It is so bad. All the people in my room were mean sluts, except for my friend who I came with, and they were mean to me. Two of them said they were afraid of me. The no good drunks.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Irish as a core, mandatory subject... sucks. Irish as an optional subject... does not suck.

People, children, teenagers; they do not like to be forced to learn or do something that they feel will be of no advantage to them. When thousands of students are forced to learn Irish every single day then they eventually get fed up when they see NO real life situation where a knowledge of Irish might be useful, dare I say, necessary.* As much as they might not like it, people do see maths and English as having a point and a purpose in their life but very few can see a point in Irish. However, a sizeable minority of students do like Irish and would not like it to be removed from the curriculum altogether. Therefore, make it optional. Allow people to choose to learn and love Irish, instead of choosing not to like it.

*With the exception of the Gaeltacht (sp?), becoming a Guard and one or two other Government / civil servant positions.

hey, i like being forced to learn oirish. if it was optional then in first year i would have picked something like french or spanish over it, never learn my native language and WITHER AND DIE

and so will you all if you're not diligent about your irish... ana's coming to get you...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Bah. I have nothing but contempt for our native language.

And BAH!!! You only have a hazy idea of where I live!!! And I can mortar you!!!

yes, you COULD mortar me... if you knew where i lived! i have a better idea of where you live than you have of where i live, if that makes sense!
    mwa hahaha....

Ill go by a process of elimination. I know what part of d6 you live on, And that you don't live on a main road. So I'll just systematically mortar all the roads. Bah. NO ANA IS SAFE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 alucard

what has mortaring ana for breaking your heart got to do with irish (which sucks). Anyway not all streets must be mortared. just look for the skankiest one with the highest wench population and start there until she comes back.

You'll be happy when she comes back.

IRISH SUCKS. There you go, emphasis without large font...ha.

• Advertisement

One thing I don't like about the whole mandatory thing: As Has been said, it's of very little use outside of school. And still, of little use IN it too. I mean yeah, Irish college is all well and good, g'wan if you're into that, but that's a controlled environment, and outside the gaeltacht is the big bad English monster. So I don't like being taught a language I barely know, with no practical applications. So there.

Even IF that doesn't explain why I'm doing Economics for the LC. Well, there was nothing else, so THERE.

And another thing: I have to complain about the HUGE difference between Árd agus Gnáthleibhéal. I mean, for example, I FAILED my mock higher exam in the Junior Cert. So I took Ordinary. I got an A. I mean, there's something wrong there, imo. In our class (Which is higher in Transition Year, because they thought "ohh, he got an A, he MUST be good") only 6 people are doing Higher for the Leaving. 6. In our general year, only the mega-smart people are even attempting it. So tbh, I think the department has to do a little work on closing the HUGE gap between the levels.

Advertisement