Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop frustration!!!!

• 03-08-2003 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

A good friend has asked me to guide him in the purchase of a new laptop now the thing is that he's wants a reasonably powerful laptop high on functionality ...not necessarily on power....I've looked around at a lot of them ...the big names..HP,Toshiba, Dell, ..etc....and a few of the less well known brands especially Multivision....but I can't find anyone in Ireland who sell these laptops!!!...In the recent edition of PC Pro the Nexus 8010 was reviewed and in my opinion seems to be a brilliant spec machine but after ringing their number in England was told that they didn't sell to the ROI and that they didn't have anyone presently in Ireland selling their machines!!...even trying to locate somewhere that sell Acer machines has been difficult!!.....the Nexus 8010 http://www.multivision.co.uk/showdet.php?id=161 would probably be what I'd recommend...does anyone know where alternative laptop brands are sold and what are they and why do laptops seem to be soooo much dearer in Ireland than in the UK???...regards..Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Go to PC World. I thought I would never say such a thing.

There is loads of threads on this already also. Do a search for Advent under my name.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0876757225.1059926365@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadcilmkmmdmcflgceggdhhmdfhn.0&page=Product&sku=892170

Heres the final hint, travel to the PC World that is in Lisburn just outside Belfast (Sprucefield Retail Park - Southside) and you will benefit from the exchange rate.

I got this laptop myself, its a savage machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

www.ajp.co.uk <-- a guy on these boards got a p4 3.06ghz, 512mb DDR, CDRW/DVD, Radeon 9000 etc etc for €2000 including shipping etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The one I just posted is 1200 sterling.. €1722

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

davemc

www.elara.ie

u will get a top spec laptop for 1300
    including vat

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭davemc

GUI..... Checked them out ..nice website with good selection but about 150-200 dearer on a comparative machine across the water.....but not ruling them out....

ConZ..... Checked out their site and it seems fairly good the spec and pricing.....

jesus_thats_gre ......did as you said and checked through previous threads but not many people said they ended up getting their machine from these places and I think you may be right about PCWorld but I've had experience with Advent on a 6412 machine a mate in college had and the monitor broke the touchpad buttons broke, the keyboard feel out onto his lap and cd/dvd player had to be replaced and now he told me last week that they now think the HD has failed!!!!!.......but they are competitively priced but the feel is a little plasticy without any offence intended to yourself or your Advent Laptops!!...my own is an IBM thinkpad 600e and its build quility is superb and solid eventhough going on 4years!!.......

I'll keep my eyes open guys and let ye know how I get on...thanks again for the pointers
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by davemc
    A good friend has asked me to guide him in the purchase of a new laptop

If you know someone in business - try www.sharptext.ie

I think they only sell to companies.

I got a nice Sony Vaio off them fairly cheap.

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 greystreeks

Don't Buy Advent going through Hell at the Mo.....

CR**................:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

eeeem www.dell.ie?

Advertisement