Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wierd problem with my connection

Options
  • 03-08-2003 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm having a really strange problem with my RADSL connection. I'm on Netsource SOHO and i'm almost 100% sure that this is a problem at my end and not the fault of netsource in any way.
    I'm having a wierd problem where my connection intermittently DIES every so often. As in my pc doesn't send or recieve any information to the net. When I'm playing games like Warcraft 3 this comes up as intermitten LAG which is really annoying. When I'm surfing the web and this happens the website simply won't load for a while. This situation seems to right it self automatically and usually doesn't last more than 10-15 seconds, but its very annoying especially when playing games. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I think this has only happened over the last few days thoguh I can't pinpoint exactly when it started. When I do a ping check when the problem is occuring, it simply won't ping it just waits a bit until the connection resumes, and this happens without me disconnecting or reconnecting or anything.
    Its like my internet connection is "paused" for that period of time. Any advice is appreciated, i'm gonna call netsource tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.
    I don't think i've installed any new programs recently.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

To me that sounds like a contention or backhaul issue, it just goes dead...no data movement at all. I might be wrong since i am not a trained DSL engineer.

Having said that, from practical experince and using the DSL serivce, it maybe an issue that the Netsource exchange you are using has not fixed the backhaul issue.

Give it a few more days and see, then ring up and ask someone vist the DSL exchange you are connected too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

i get the same prob with eircom sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

yep, I'm getting that problem iswell on my netsource. It only started since about Thursday. Its a nightmare trying to fly planes in Battlefield 1942 with this lag. Its happening once a minute for me, every minute of every hour ???

lag.jpg

The red vertical lines represent total packet loss.. ie, LAG

I've also been getting another problem of disconnecting from netsource for some time, but I dunno if its related to this problem or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I'm on the blancherdstown exchange. Which exchange are u guys on? And yes the problem started around thursday/friday for me as well so it could be the same thing
    edit - the more the think about it the more it seems similar to the problem ur having ando. I'm also having it once every minute or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

i'm on the belcamp exchange btw. I've sent off an email to netsource, hopefully ill get some feedback

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

ring them about it, it doesn't sound like a prob on your end at all. I rang IBB for 8 consequative business days and it seems i got my connection finally sorted, i used to get pings of between 9 and 1400 to the gateawy server (1 hop from my comp) whcih made gaming nearly impossible. Now its relatively ok, with ping maxing at abou 250 to the gateway. sometimes averaging 20ms!!

my advice, ring ring ring

Advertisement