Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting ISDN. What to do?

Options
  • 03-08-2003 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

I've had to copmrimise in getting ISDN for the next year (dont talk to me about DSL).

I already have my IOL Nolimits connection on 56k. I can use 64k ISDN on this account aswell.

Right,.
    I need to know a few bits concerning installation/configuration and payment.

: How long does installation generally last ?
    : Can I only go through Eircom to install ?
    : Do I have to sign up for an eircom isdn dialup account after the installation or can I tell them i've got Esat ?
    : How much is installation ?
    : How much is it on top of my line rental each month ?
    : Any decent modem's for gaming that I should know of ?

And finally, what are the pings (CS in game) like on 64k ISDN on IOL Nolimits.

(edited :) what a stupid question)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by conZ
    I've had to copmrimise in getting ISDN for the next year (dont talk to me about DSL).

I already have my IOL Nolimits connection on 56k. I can use 64k ISDN on this account aswell.

Right,.
    I need to know a few bits concerning installation/configuration and payment.

: How long does installation generally last ?

15 mins

: How much does it cost ?

€199 ? incl VAT , ISTR!

: Can I only go through Eircom to install ?

yes.

: Do I have to sign up for an eircom isdn dialup account after the installation or can I tell them i've got Esat ?

no requirement, ensure that ESAt have the number you are dialling from (the caller ID of the ISDN line)

: How much is installation ?

=cost

: How much is it on top of my line rental each month ?

line rental goes from €23 to €36 ISTR

: Any decent modem's for gaming that I should know of ?

Eicon Diva external is rated for gaming, do not buy from Eircom themselves....try compustore or pc world.

:And finally, what are the pings (CS in game) like on 64k ISDN on IOL Nolimits.

reputedly around 20ms. ISDN is a good bet for gamers all right :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It's ages since I got it intalled Conz, so I can't remember all of the details, and those that I can could be wrong :)

The installation takes under an hour certainly.
    It cost me €99, or was that in £..Only Eircom offer ISDN afaik, so yeah you have to deal with them.
    You don't have to sign up for an Eircom ISP a/c.
    Rental costs - €38 approx a month.

A very popular Terminal Adapter is the Asus ISDN Link range...I have one, it's a good 'un. Don't know if Komplett stock them though, I remember ordering mine for around £25 Stg ex delivery from overclockers.co.uk. This is fairly cheap as your options go.

I got booted off nolimits a long time ago (in fact that was the event that triggered me getting ISDN) so I don't know how the service is, but I believe it's much improved since its over-loaded days. If it's like a typical ISP for ISDN (some are dodgy..) then expect to get between 60-90 in CS if you're not going too far afield.

You should know that UTV at least charge an extra €100 for converting an ISDN line to their broadband service, I'm not sure what the others position is. Might bear that in mind when deciding if you want to switch purely for the short-term.

Ah you beat me to the post..

BUT
    Originally posted by Muck
    [BEicon Diva external is rated for gaming, do not buy from Eircom themselves....try compustore or pc world.

reputedly around 20ms. ISDN is a good bet for gamers all right :D
    [/B]

The Diva is quite expensive, IIrc. That installation fee sounds a bit high too.

And noone on ISDN gets an effective ping in CS of 20 ms, sometimes in CS net_graph 3 will report it in the 20s/30s/40s but this isn't an accurate reflection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

that ASUS external is available from Komplett for c €55 including delivery and VAT and is a great little ISDN adapter.

As a non gamer I am not sure about its stability and speed, the Eicon is supposed to be a netch quicker and more consistent which can make a huge difference for them l33t fellas :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Im fairly convinced..

Installation should be somewhere around the €100-120 mark from what I hear on mirc and here.

Think echomadman wants to sell me a TA of his, so i'll get the spec's first.

€38, thats only ~€15 on top of the normal rental. Not too shabby.

I'll ring Eircon tomorrow (oh wait, bank holiday) Tuesday to sort out details (exact prices etc)

Thanks for the info.

Keep it coming :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

conz u don't have to sign up to an eircom dial-up i'm on isdn and i'm using anytime atm with my eicon diva which i bought for komplett.

any modem will surfice as long as it's not from eircom and it isn't usb

best advice i can give ya STAY AWAY FROM THE DRAYTEK MINI VIGOR.

also regarding pings i get 40-70 on 4u servers in england

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=19631&t=402&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=12&GrpID=1&s=pl

That's the one I have. Jesus, there's a reminder of how much things have changed in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Unfortuntally No Limits doesnt' support ISDN.

I say wait 10 years for broadband or move country

in that case he should just move over to anytime

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure No Limits does now support ISDN, I recall this being stated by at least one punter in IRC. I know it used not to, but I believe that has changed.

/Me off to get isdn now . Thank you :p

Just found it on the Eircon website.

Monthly rental: 37.50 Connection: 119.99

Won't work as we need to create a session first :p

but umm thats a bit pricy allright. Think i'll wait for DSL for the extra few bucks

Well, This is the way I worked it out...

ISDN = €58 pm (nolimits and line rental) €150 installation (with modem)

DSL = €86 pm (netsource €66 and line rental) €250 installation (€88 self install and the rest for a decent modem)

Sizable difference really.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    Unfortuntally No Limits doesnt' support ISDN.
    country

That's if you believe what Esat tell you! ;)

I'm using 64k ISDN with an ASUS TA which cost around €45 from Komplett and it's working great. I'm using No Limits as my ISP. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Well, This is the way I worked it out...

ISDN = €58 pm (nolimits and line rental) €150 installation (with modem)

DSL = €86 pm (netsource €66 and line rental) €250 installation (€88 self install and the rest for a decent modem)

Sizable difference really.

ye mad fecker, get dsl and split the monthly rental between yourself and your shiftless brother :D
    If you get ISDN now it'll make any later migration to DSL more expensive.

Isnt no-limits finishin now that friaco is out....
    IOL anytime details from Ioffl board
    Esat BT / IOL

IOL Anytime (product details)
    Products:
    IOL Anytime @ €30.00 per month - 180 hours Internet access any time, day or night
    "Business" IOL Anytime @ €54.45 per month - 260 hours Internet access any time, day or night

Outside your allowance, the costs are as follows:
    Daytime - 3.8 cents/minute
    Evening/weekend - 1.27 cents per minute
    (cost details received from call to Esat CS team 10 July 2003)

FAQ not currently available on the site

You'll need the "business" package if you're going to be able to dial up during the day aswell. so the costs get a little closer, its also more akward to share an isdn connection, the machine with the TA on it wil have to be powered on all the time.

you're in one of the rare locations where DSL is available.... get it FFS

Start paying him more ed. Then I could get DSL.

He's going away to college in September, so he wont be using it (so he says - his reason not to pay).

Im gonna use nolimits for as long as i can anyays, then get Anytime. Got the LC this year anyways, so wont be on it much. The high phone bills (when i go past the 180 hours) will be a base for my arguement to get DSL.

Advertisement