Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview Digital TV reception in Donegal?..

Options
  • 03-08-2003 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I live in Ballybofey and I have been using Sky Digital via their satellite dish for my TV viewing.

However, I now see a lot about these Free to View Digital TV & Radio set top boxs, which you can buy for a one off charge with no subscriptions to pay thereafter.

Apparently, they work by receiving the new Digital channels via your ordinary Analogue TV Aerial, but I am trying to find out if anyone in Donegal has got Freeview?.. as my local TV supplier tells me that the FREEVIEW channels can not yet be picked up in Donegal!, and I find this hard to accept as I am only fourteen miles from Strabane in County Tyrone where people are recieving freeview channels via Brougher Mountain Transmitter.

I am fed up paying a subscription every month to Sky, anyone been successful in receiving Freeview in Donegal?..

Paddy20.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well, I'm not sure about the Freeview box's, but some of the channels on the Sky EPG are now free to view.

That is, if you no longer pay your subscribtion to sky, you can still pick up these channels through their equipment (BBC is one such channel... TCM as well I think).

It's not exactly an answer to your question, but try taking out your 'Sky Viewing Card' and see what your left with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Goodshape,

Did as you suggested, and lo and behold!. Without the Skycard in the Sky digibox I am suddenly receiving about 20 Freeview channels, including BBC News 24, BBC1 NI, BBC2 NI plus a load of shopping channels and SkyNews etc, more than enough for my needs, even channels that I never received as part of my subscription Sky Family package that I am now going to cancel .

A friend of mine has just told me that as I have been a Sky subs customer for over a year. Then I now get to keep the Sky digibox and Sat Dish?.. or as he put it " All the equipment is mine after 12 months" I just hope he is right.

Thanks a million Goodshape. You saved me a lot of digging and research. Magic.

All the best.

Paddy20.:)

Happy to oblige :)

(I just hope they don't take the equipment now)

Goodshape,

Even better news?.. After some more digging I was told that if I unplugged my Sky digibox from the mains, and then re-insert the Skycard [Upsidedown!] this would acivate the EPG on the digibox after I powered it up again, thereby enabling me to receive more Freeview* channels without the need to buy a FREEVIEW BOX?.

Well did I get a shock. I am now receiving 59 Digital Freeview* TV channels, PLUS, 44 Digital radio channels, Total 103 channels!, and all for free. How about that then, maybe other readers on this forum could try the same and see what happens.

I am shocked & flabbergasted to say the least, and yes I get to keep all the Sky equipment as I have been a subscriber for over 12 months. I only have to give Sky, one calender months notice of cancellation and cancel my direct debit payments to them.

All the best.

Paddy20.;)

jayzuz.... it works!

I did as you said (card in upsidedown) and now I've got all those lovaly BBC channels, and a few others too... I never watched much of the other sh!te anyway, and this is FREE! Good deal that.

...is there a list of all the Freeview channels?

• Advertisement

Goodshape,

You can get a full list of all Freview* channels, which by the way is only about 30! by going to Google the search engine and type in freeview, it should then take you straight to the official Freeview* website in the U.K..

I seem to be getting a hell of a lot more than just freeview. Apparently, I am receiving what is called Free to Air via Satellite, and it seems that with a bit of tweaking over 600 channels are available via an old Sky Digibox and sat dish set up.

I personally will be re-tuning my digibox asap. It tells you how to even do this on the FREEVIEW* website.

It just keeps getting better and better, and all FREE!. I am laughing all the way to the bank. The money I have saved by cancelling my Sky Family pack {About forty channels} for €26.99c a month, will now pay for my UTVip XL 180 hours anytime Internet access package deal which is brilliant?.

Be lucky.

Paddy20.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Paddy20
    You can get a full list of all Freview* channels, which by the way is only about 30! by going to Google the search engine and type in freeview, it should then take you straight to the official Freeview* website in the U.K..

I seem to be getting a hell of a lot more than just freeview. Apparently, I am receiving what is called Free to Air via Satellite, and it seems that with a bit of tweaking over 600 channels are available via an old Sky Digibox and sat dish set up.

600 is a bit much. You can see all the channels that can be received over the 28.2E satellite group (where Sky Digital is) on this page (all the BBCs) and others here. All the channels with the creamy coloured background are free to air, which means that you don't need a subscription to watch them.

On Freeview, you can get UTV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 (Five or whatever it's called now), which you CAN'T get on Sky unless you have a special FTV card from GB or the six counties, or a GB/6 Co's subscription. All the info you could possibly want is available on the Satellite board here on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

boys i am impressed, must try that when i get home. Family are based in leitrim and we get alot of our stations from the enniskillen mast so you never know.

Once again i am impressed

dun_do_bheal,

Many thanks for the links. I have had a look and printed out a lot from them. For a non techie like me this is mind blowing stuff.

I can still get UTV & CH4 via my normal TV analogue aerial, even though my reception is not great it will do me, along with the 100 + Channels that I am now receiving FTA on my Sky digibox and Satellite dish, and they are all FREE*.

A lot better than paying a monthly sub to Sky for something that I hardly ever made use of.

Learn something new everyday, eh.

All the best.

Paddy20.
    :)

nanook,

Strange, that you should mention Enniskillen Mast! as my local TV Dealer told me that Enniskillen was activated for DTT. Which I think means [if you wanted to] you could buy a Freeview*box and receive all the official Freeview* channels no problem. I did not have that choice. Which is how I ended up now receiving 100+ channels via my Sky satellite set up, instead of receiving about 30 channels via my ordinary aerial with a Freeview* box, something thats open to you but not me in the Twin-Towns.

Be lucky.

Paddy20.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Receiving Freeview here in Ballintogher Co. Sligo with an UHF arial on a 30ft high mast, from Brougher Mtn. (Enniskillen, or Tempo rather).Freeview
    And nanook, what part of Leitrim? Did a lot of testing in the Sligo/Leitrim area in recent months. Your analog signal from Brougher should be at least 90%, because DTT is being send with a much lower power.

comming from drumkeerin just down the road from you,

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Your folks could be in with a chance, I made tests in a 2storey house in the village, they had a very good reception in analog, in digital only the ITV mux is weak and is sometimes fading. Halfway down the Dowra road there is a spot where you can pick up Freeview from Divis/Belfast.

nanook,

How did you get on re:- the channels available with your skycard turned upsidedown?..

Also, did you try testing with a Freeview* box for receiving the Freeview Analogue channels that are available direct from your ordinary analogue aerial, but are broadcast in full digital quality?..

Paddy.

didnt get a chance to get down there yet, getting married in 9 days so that is sorta taking precedent over everything.

Oh by the way it may be a free for all when i am on honey moon so ya'll have manners.

Only joking someone will be watching over while i am gone on the holiday of a life time, yup i am smarmy git.

nanook,

Congratulations, you smarmy git!, and I thought all you had in mind getting free to view or FTA EPG Free to Air Channels via your Sky setup subs free?..

How wrong can I be!.

Happy Honeymoon, & yes I am bloody jealous;)

P.

Congrats' Nanook :)

Have fun!

...and don't worry, we'll be good :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Congratulations!

We promise not to be spammy gits while yer away

Well, spammier.. :D

Originally posted by Paddy20
    nanook,

Congratulations, you smarmy git!, and I thought all you had in mind getting free to view or FTA EPG Free to Air Channels via your Sky setup subs free?..

How wrong can I be!.

Happy Honeymoon, & yes I am bloody jealous;)

P.

yup

this what i always wanted from life.

Lads thanks for the regards

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Yes. I receive the freeview channels from the Limavady transmitter. I am located 3 miles from Ballybofey on the Donegal town side. I have two freeview boxes, a Sagem and a Daewoo which I purchased in Argos (Derry). At the moment I get about 40 tv channels and 30 digital radio stations. Reception is crystal clear, much better than the analogue signal. Film 4 has just started to transmit on freeview recently and the films are excellent. Both boxes autoscan from time to time and add any new channels automatically.

• Advertisement
Advertisement