Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max capabilities of 98, 2k, Server 2k, Server 3, XP and XP pro

Options
  • 03-08-2003 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

does anyone know??

I think I am correct in thinking that 98 can only handel 512 and after that it is a unhappy puppy but the rest of them I am unsure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i assume ur talking about ram

i think the limit with 98 is 512 alright

i wouldn't know though i've a 1gb ram ddr400 running in xp pro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Windows 98 isn't an unhappy puppy after 512MB, it just pretends it's not there, so sticking more RAM in is a waste of money.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

xp pussies out if you put more than 3 gigs in afaik (not sure if this only effects he & i've prolly got that number wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by tman
    xp pussies out if you put more than 3 gigs in afaik (not sure if this only effects he & i've prolly got that number wrong)
    I suspect that if it's anywhere around there, it's 4 gigs
    (2^32 = 4294967296bytes). 32 bit addressing and all that.
    (at least that's the upper limit beyond which thou shalt not go on a 32bit machine unless I'm talking out of the thing I sit on)

(so with 64 bit hardware and software it'd be "virtually limitless" (that's not a quote - I expect to see it in a Microsoft press release in a year though. The limit will be 16 thousand petabytes or something. Or terabytes - I can't ever remember which is bigger. Something that translates from Greek as "really really monstously massive" - or "limitless" if you work for Microsoft))

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

You can go up to 32GB of RAM if I remember correctly using a Xeon CPU.
    But if you want up to TBs of RAM I'd suggest going for 64bit Windows Professional or 64bit Windows Server, and use an Itanium2 CPU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

sceptre is correct

the 4 gigabit ram limit has to do with 32bit computing limitations

it has nothing to do with "xp pussying out"

any os will not support more then 4 gigs of ram on a 32bit architecture

and ya ms already has the press release out bout advantages of moving to 64bit architecture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

640kb is more than enough for anyone LOL

but, 4gb woul be your max with x86

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What would you need 4Gbs of ram for at the moment, i have 1Gb DDR400 Corsair and it has never been over 70% usage running XP Pro?

What kinda things could push 4Gbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

most sound editing apps are fairly memory hogging, you'd chew through 2gigs in no time with sound forge...
    i'm not sure what anyone would need 4gigs+ for tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭marrakesh

4 Gigs on w2k server. More than 4 gigs with advanced server. Mind u the main differences with w2k server and advanced server is just registry editing so if u know the registry very well it should be possible to add more than 4 gig to w2k server.

Datacentre server allows a whopping 64 gb of ram and 32 processors which is fairly beasty..:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement