Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.irishspeedtest.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I get a more accurate reading from ZDNet also - getting between 56k and 140k from www.irishspeedtest.ie, getting 216k from ZDNet. We are on an NTL 256k leased line at work (moving to 1 mbit DSL soon). I don't think NTL peer in Ireland however, the traceroute goes through Manchester and London before (presumably) coming back to Ireland - don't know if this might have anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Your current bandwidth reading is:

26.20kbps

which means you can download at 3.27 KB/sec. from our servers.

56k modem on iol anytime

:(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 madpaddy

2.60 Mbps

which means you can download at 332.25 KB/sec. from our servers.

from the states, hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

419.90kbps

which means you can download at 52.49 KB/sec. from our servers.

Utv Clicksliver
    Living in carpenterstown, Dub 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Konix

madpaddy why would you register in december and not post until now!? LoL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by blorg
    I get a more accurate reading from ZDNet also - getting between 56k and 140k from www.irishspeedtest.ie, getting 216k from ZDNet. We are on an NTL 256k leased line at work (moving to 1 mbit DSL soon). I don't think NTL peer in Ireland however, the traceroute goes through Manchester and London before (presumably) coming back to Ireland - don't know if this might have anything to do with it.

So you can tell its more accurate how?

Speed testing isn't exactly accurate but within a small country with a box that has direct peering with INEX via all the ISPs give's a more accurate result that some site hosted in the US. Faster isn't always better.

From my own tests, both downloading and using the bandwidth tester it seems to be quite accurate. Although infairness NTL do peer with INEX afair, but I'm not sure if its working.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Dunno how accurate this is:

11.04 Mbps

which means you can download at 1.38 MB/sec. from our servers.

From Work. I have seen downloads in the 1MBs range, but usually its around 250kps. I ran this test from Mozilla as well and got much lower results.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

5.95 Mbps

which means you can download at 761.15 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up
    33.6 kbps dial-up
    53.3 kbps dial-up
    64 kbps ISDN
    128 kbps ISDN
    384 kbps DSL
    768 kbps DSL
    1000 kbps DSL
    1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem
    6089.2 kbps YOU

Rgds,
    Zep. BTW i'm in work, only got 56k @ Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

433.70kbps

which means you can download at 54.21 KB/sec. from our servers.

Eircom I-stream starter

Salthill, Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's nice to see the number of tests growing. Hopefully we'll be able to get a good overview of the Irish ISPs from all this data :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by blacknight
    It's nice to see the number of tests growing. Hopefully we'll be able to get a good overview of the Irish ISPs from all this data :D

Agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 danpol

386.00kbps with utv clicksilver
    can anyone tell me is this good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

This is pretty good, I must download THE WORLD!

58.51 Mbps

which means you can download at 7.31 MB/sec. from our servers

or else it ain't all that accurate!?!

Originally posted by Kananga
    This is pretty good, I must download THE WORLD!

58.51 Mbps

which means you can download at 7.31 MB/sec. from our servers

or else it ain't all that accurate!?!

I have been looking at the stats that was no the first result you got you read from your computer cache may have pressed the back button try refresh.

that often happens when you press the back button. ive got over sixty. you lose the warm feeling in your tummy after a while. just imagine!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

aaaaahaaaaaaa! you're right too. I just did a new test and then hit the back button afterwards and got something huge. Didn't realise I'd done that the first time. Apologies for questioning the accuracy of the test, it was obviously my own that was the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

So you can tell its more accurate how?
    By 'more accurate' I mean 'more representative of the download speeds that we typically get'. www.irishspeedtest.com was quoting a figure far lower than our typical download speeds (including typical download speeds that morning).

I know how the internet works, I'm not 'blaming' irishspeedtest for an 'incorrect' figure, I'm just pointing out that the result may not be representative for everyone, and is bound to vary according to a multitude of factors completely out of irishspeedtest's control.

My general experience with NTL is that traffic is routed through England, which is not the most efficient if you are trying to get to an Irish server.

www.irishspeedtest.com is showing a more 'representative' figure of 232kbps now, in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm just wondering what the setup is for this server. As the site gets busier, I think you should enforce one speed test at a time. You could get a load of machines ( old machines or whatever ) and put them behind a load balancer. ( maybe you have already, if so apologies ) This only affects the accuracy of really high speed links, just might help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

Erm, I wonder if this is a fluke...

19.50 Mbps

which means you can download at 2.44 MB/sec. from our servers.

At work, in San Francisco.

Originally posted by Gerry
    I'm just wondering what the setup is for this server. As the site gets busier, I think you should enforce one speed test at a time. You could get a load of machines ( old machines or whatever ) and put them behind a load balancer. ( maybe you have already, if so apologies ) This only affects the accuracy of really high speed links, just might help though.

hehe if you can find somebody to donate a couple of 1Us we'd be more than happy to do it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 danpol

I just done a new test and got
    450.90kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

3.34 Mbps

which means you can download at 428.02 KB/sec. from our servers.

Is the bandwidth on that server capped?

Originally posted by blacknight
    hehe if you can find somebody to donate a couple of 1Us we'd be more than happy to do it :D

Well blacknight are the host ! :D

just kidding nighty mac night we have big plans for this site its just taken a while to get things done as we are so busy at the moment. But we have a few things to get out of the way and we will make it really good. Thats right really good!

Originally posted by Ro

Is the bandwidth on that server capped?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

currently getting average of 380kbps, quite nice for IBB.

pings are also good for once, so since i got the service a month ago, i have had about 5-7 days where i could get pings of below 100 in games, and a further 10 days where it wouldn't spike above 400 and the rest of the days completely unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

i've still to get below 430 on IOLBB! admittedly its gone down once or twice, but its not lasted long, and for that high a connection speed, all the time (in dublin!) i'm happy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

335.90kbps

which means you can download at 41.99 KB/sec. from our servers

on a 512kbps Leased line

2.82 Mbps

which means you can download at 361.07 KB/sec. from our servers.

god i love this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

6.13 Mbps

which means you can download at 784.86 KB/sec. from our servers.

Meh, I thought it would have been faster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Wor1ried

589.50kbps

which means you can download at 73.69 KB/sec. from our servers.

Esat IOL In Dun Laoghaire

Advertisement