Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beautiful Losers E.P. launch 15th of August Whelans

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Originally posted by IDONTKNOW
    great gig, i like the ep. Tadhg cooke was brialliant and I'm not usually mad on singer songwriters, he will put david kitt to shame.

I agree but he should change his name to Thai Cook for the laugh... I'm easily amused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭mojopin

sure isnt mr.kitt releasing an album next week or something? Thai Cooke, hmm I dont think it has the same ring to it really, what a hard name to spell though, jeez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

I kind of had my heart set on
    changing my name to englebert humperdink.
    Then I found out somebody had already changed
    their name to englebert humperdink, and it
    didn't seem like such a good idea after all.
    Thai Cook sounds good. It might be a big hit
    with Good Housekeeping. I may even get a
    centrefold for Woman & Home.
    Any more suggestions for a new name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I like the sounds of that centrefold!!

Rar!

icon_twisted.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Originally posted by tiggertigger
    Any more suggestions for a new name?

No no Tadhg you've got the wrong idea altogether. Yours is a name that no other Irish singer-songwriter on the block at the moment has.

And having a distinctive name means that some day soon you will join the esteemed ranks of Justin, Britney, Christina, Kylie....Jason.

And it will be at that point, my friend, that will have made it.

Amen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IDONTKNOW

nice review of your ep up on irismagazine.net thier lads if yous havnt seen it,

The Beautiful Losers – Last Dance of the Pagans EP

Skulking around many a Dublin venue over the last while, The Beautiful Losers have been cutting out a comfortable niche for themselves in Dublin’s underground rock elite. This EP is their leap out into the daylight and will hopefully lead to higher ground. Mixing delicate sweeps with heavy riffing, tender lament with bitter lyrical retort, this is a mature and dynamic debut from the Dublin foursome.

From the title track opener to closing track “Two Minutes of Histrionics” it is obvious that the lads are attempting to delve a little bit deeper musically and lyrically than their scene counterparts.

From tackling the issues of Irish neutrality and ancient history in “Last Dance…”, to an internal quest for revenge in “Relapse”, its fair to say there’s a lot of emphasis on the darker sides of life here. This depth of lyrics is thankfully balanced by the power and control of the instrumentation, preventing any over-emphasis on an underlying ‘message’. This is alternative rock after all, and where’s the fun if you can’t nod your head violently to someone telling you “I ate your flesh, I drank your polemic”?

The Beautiful Losers have found a good balance here with lead singer Brian Kelly’s powerful vocals being matched by Tom Boland’s ability to shape the guitar sound. The rhythm section is also tight throughout and helps to gel the band at places where the creative elements could be tempted to get a little too experimental and distant.

All in all, this is a refreshing debut from an Irish band who aren’t afraid to sound a little heavier and darker than the status quo. With a couple of majors sniffing around for a while now lets hope this record is the push they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

fair fooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭T.B.L.

cheers yeh saw the review, seeing somebody take time to read the lyrics and analyse something properly was really quite refreshing , pity all reviewers dont do so. The e.p. is on sale at the moment in road and tower records for 3.99, shameless plug but its gotta be done :) Apoligies dotsie bout the support slot but i'll be there to see you's, like the sound of the stuff, half my band will be away thats why we had to pull out but looking forward to it, i know the messiah operation myself, tom.

www.beautifullosers.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

Hey dont worry about it, should be a good night..

Advertisement