Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic games machine advice

• 04-08-2003 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I need a bit of advice on a potential basic gaming system......ya see a friend had an old gateway 2000 pentium 166 whose HD died ...we threw another HD in and a little extra memory (up to 48mb now!!)...but as he decided to now get a laptop for his own business he thought he'd give the old system to his two little men!!..aged 7 and 4 to play the odd game.....but the thing is I know nothing about games or the power really needed to play them....I spent a little time looking for a place to download very basic shoot-em-ups etc but found it difficult to find such sites.(God be with the days of Jetpac and Frenzy on the 48k Spectrum!!!)...then I thought why not go in to Easons where they've these fairly old games for about 10-20Euros on those twirly stand yolks but found that they mostly require a minimum of 16mb to play most of them if not more so I then thought what if we throw a 32mb graphics card into the machine would it work??? or would the CPU not be up to the task and as I'm not really into the gaming scene I thought I'd ask here!!....so any thoughts on this would be appreciated..regards..Dave..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the pc probaly won't take a agp gfx card so you'd need to get a pci gfx card

Advertisement