Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy music online

Options
  • 04-08-2003 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

A new site has been setup know as Buy Music. They charge US$0.79 and $1.29 per track. Albums start at $7.95 and go to $12. You can play the music you download on Media Player 9.0. It seems to have got a successful response but I cant see why people would download music from them for money when its just as easy to download through Kazaa, iMesh or Morpheus for free :S.

Apple Computers have the popular iTunes Music Store to download music and they get 100,000 downloads per day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Hmm, they don't seem to want the custom of those of us who are not using Internet Explorer 5+ and/or Windows. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by sunbeam
    Hmm, they don't seem to want the custom of those of us who are not using Internet Explorer 5+ and/or Windows. :rolleyes:

Yeah you can only download music from it if you are living in America (unless you change your IP through an American proxy as Webmonkey suggested.) But i'm sure not too long far into the future there will be one available to ppl living in Ireland 2.

So if one of these was available in Ireland downloading music legally for payment would ppl be interested?? Or would ye continue using Imesh, Kazaa or Morpheus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

said it b4, etc : Yeah, if twas like €5 for an album and i knew the money was going directly to the artist/s

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    said it b4, etc : Yeah, if twas like €5 for an album and i knew the money was going directly to the artist/s

Well obviously thats not going to happen bcoz the medium that the song is being downloaded from has to get a cut. Would you download the music of the artist if they were getting a percentage of the cost you downloaded it for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

I'd be interested if the tracks you downloaded were in MP3 format (or OGG format). none of this "time out WMA" nonsense though. I'm not gonna pay for something thats gonna disappear in a fortnight.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eggshapedfred
    I'd be interested if the tracks you downloaded were in MP3 format (or OGG format). none of this "time out WMA" nonsense though. I'm not gonna pay for something thats gonna disappear in a fortnight.

oh ok, i'm just asking bcoz there is nothing like this set up in Ireland already so just seeing are Irish ppl actually interested in buying music online if the service was available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

didn't mean to be harsh. its just i've downloaded sample tracks by a new artist from Q magazine's website. legal stuff. as soon as I clicked the bugger it starts asking me for a license. i thought screw that and deleted the bugger. only thing was this file was (somehow) set to start playing on a single click. I had to break out a DOS prompt to get rid of the bollo*. i was none too happy. needless to say I never bothered with the band ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    Well obviously thats not going to happen bcoz the medium that the song is being downloaded from has to get a cut. Would you download the music of the artist if they were getting a percentage of the cost you downloaded it for??

i assume that eg. Sutras would own a website, sell their music through a medium they'd have to pay like, rent or such and such for every month or whatever, and get all the money generated by people buying their tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    I cant see why people would download music from them for money when its just as easy to download through Kazaa, iMesh or Morpheus for free

some people see downloading from those applications as being evil and so on. if they want to pay for something that is available for free elsewhere who are we to argue

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    some people see downloading from those applications as being evil and so on. if they want to pay for something that is available for free elsewhere who are we to argue

Exactly! I was just making this point to see would ppl be interested in downloading files legally when it so easy to go down the illegal road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement