Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me build a PC worthy of myself

• 05-08-2003 2:45am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's my go to ask for help to build a PC.

Principal uses: Gaming, broadband access. Perhaps some other activities like tinkering with languages, but nothing that should affect specs. Maybe work with a different OS. Most outlandish thing I'd try is think about over-clocking. Because I feel I should...

What I Don't Need: Don't need a graphics card, don't need a monitor, don't need a keyboard or a mouse. Also don't need a new CD-RW.

What I Have To Work With: Absolute upper limit of 1000 quid, pref. a bit lower

What I'd Expect: I'd want the machine to last 3 years at least. I want it upgradable without hitting a deadend in a couple of months. I want to play Half-Life 2 in nice detail. I don't want to be kicking pieces of furniture at all...

What I Think Might Be Good (all off of Komplett, unless otherwise mentioned):

* Athlon 2500XP+ for 103 quid
    * A-bit NF7-M mainboard for 124
    * 2x256 Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM (2x59.1 = 118.2)
    * Western Digital Caviar 120GB IDE HD (135)
    * Chieftec Dragon MidiTower (111)
    * Asus DVD drive 16x/48x (45)
    * From Marx Computers: Q-Tec 584AA DSL Modem/Router/Switch (130)

I'd then add an old floppy drive, a new enough CD-RW, a new graphics card, and attach my old monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

Now that all comes in currently at about 800, incl. posting and packaging. Can anyone tinker it a bit better, or make some suggestions that are all within my budget? Or point out where I can make suggestions. I'm most clueless about a decent motherboard for myself and what a good case to get is. All help is welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It may not happen but I should mention my own experience. I got the Abit board and it was borked so I now recommend the Asus Deluxe thingy which is humming along fine now. If you can spend a thou why not get the Asus and maybe even a 2600 CPU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Looks prity sweet
    except maybe some faster memory ie pc3500
    (pc3200 limit 200mhz) latest processors are 200mhz doesn't leave much space for o/c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Don't go for xp2600b it is at the top of the line little space for o/c when the xp2500barton is at bottom plus more mem cache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

i doubt you will really tell the difference between one ram and the other the amount is whats important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭xen

Your DDR I'd go for one block of 512 mb and then later get more that way you have more dimm slots free later on.

To be honest Abit boards are good but have you looked at the Asus A7n8x board Deluxe Its very good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

xen, 2x256 is better than 1x512 since both the abit and asus support Dual DDR 400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭xen

Yes I know by a whole 4%.

The thing with some boards is that you get three dimm slots if use two only putting 512mb, you might as well use one to put 512mb and get the other 512mb of the same ram later there isnt a huge difference in performance by using dual ddr support.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'll double check the prices, but I'll probably settle on 2x256MB. Partially because double-clock edges reminds me of digital logic design and that makes me nostalgic and nostaligia is good....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Personally it looks like a pretty decent machine :) .

Would definetly go for an Xp2500+ over the Xp2600+ , Xp2500+ has the new Barton core which has double the on chip Cache. In alot of benchmarks the Xp2500+ will out perform the Xp2600+.

Both Xen & fabre have good points, 4% ish performance increase (more if you up your FSB) or the ability to upgrade.
    The Abit NF7 has 2 Dimm slots that support the Pc3200 (200Mhz RAM). If your thinking 512Mb mite not be enough or your gonna be a regular upgrader then prob 1 x 512MB stick is better (if you stick in another you will have 1gb & take advantage of Dual DDR). If your planning on leaving your system like this for a good while then 2x256Mb is the way to go IMO.

So this is what I've ordered:

1 Pcs 108200 Asus DVD drive IDE 16x/48x (DVD-E616)
    Retail (1)
    12003-08-07

2 Pcs 116451 Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL3 5ns
    Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 32Meg x 64 (2)
    22003-08-07

1 Pcs 116590 AMD Athlon XP2500+ 1.833 GHz 333 MHz bus
    Socket A (Barton) processor, 512kb BOXED (3)
    12003-08-07

1 Pcs 109593 Western Digital Caviar 120GB IDE 7200RPM
    Special Edition 8MB cache WD1200JB (4)
    12003-08-07

1 Pcs 114239 Asus A7N8X Deluxe/GD mainboard Socket A
    nForce2SPP/MCP-T/Ultra 400,1394,Dual LAN (5)
    12003-08-07

... I hope it's all good! Oh and I'll order the case tomorrow.... If you spot that I've done something stupid, like ordered an incompatible motherboard or something, I'd appreciate a quick warning before the shipping :) Shouldn't think there's a difficult.

Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I think you're goign to find youself short on ram from some of the newer games coming out this year. Other than that its the same mobo and cpu i bought so good for you :)

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    I think you're goign to find youself short on ram from some of the newer games coming out this year.

I am? Games will require more than 512MB?! Sheesh! Thankfully RAM is cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by ixoy
    I am? Games will require more than 512MB?! Sheesh! Thankfully RAM is cheap...

Well you want 1Gb+ for games like EvE and Half-Life2.

I'd recommend Asus for boards too. :cool:

/me waves

Originally posted by STaN
    Well you want 1Gb+ for games like EvE and Half-Life2.

I'd recommend Asus for boards too. :cool:

/me waves

Well it's as well I got Asus :)

I thought though that HL2 was geared towards "average" machines? I've a Ti4200 card, won't it all help me out enough? That and the fact my monitor can only go up to 1280x1024, limiting the strain on it......

/me waves back at Stan :)

Thanks to all on the thread... the PC is built now and working fine....Last time it was running at 2Ghz so I'm happy! Now off to tinker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

lucky u :( enjoy

Why the sad face? You having problems?

Advertisement