Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does City of Culture(2005) mean to you?

• 05-08-2003 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Will it herald a cultural renaissance in Cork or is it another example of scandalous waste of public monies? (target budget of 20 million)

Will it cater for the more eclectic and esoteric cultural/artistic thematics or is it a self-congratulatory excercise for an insecure middle class to indulge in a bit of cultural voyeurism?

Is it a worthwhile undertaking or will it be a monumental bore? Will it be of lasting benefit to Cork post 2005?

Events confirmed so far:

1 Exhibition of the work of Cork Silversmiths and Goldsmiths 1605 to 2005

2 Soccer tournament involving previous Cities of Culture

3 Television documentary series on the people of Cork.

4 A knitted map of Cork involving up to 50,000 people knitting for a year!!!!! (Yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes either)

5 Twenty one Cork poets to travel to the 12 EU applicant states to translate contempory writings into English.

6 The development of a Community Television Channel for Cork.

Personally, the above demonstrates a certain lack of vision IMHO.................. a bit of a drag tbh, except for the footie, maybe. :) Then again, I s'pose I'm a phillistine.

But I would like to know what your expectations and views might be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

i'd say any effort to create some more culture should be applauded. what do you think about it ? just leave it the way it is with no improvement or change ? keep the fair o'll ireland as it is with no direction ?
    And what do you have against this anyways ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

i agree with wook......any effort to make life around cork a bit more appealing or interesting should be supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Originally posted by Wook
    what do you think about it ?

I've an open mind about it, tbh. I'm not quite sure that it will have all that relevance for me.................. I wonder and doubt if my specific interests will be catered for. It was in that light that I was interested in "What the City of Culture means to You?"

I am concerned that this event will amplify the exclusion already experienced on a daily basis by the more economically disadvantaged citizens of Cork. "Culture" IMHO is a Class issue .............. a restatement of the economic inequality between those that can afford opera/theatre and those whose social entertainment is confined to a couple of pints in the local. I'm sorry ..... but you did ask.

I also have a serious problem with the lack of invited imput from Community groups. Maybe if this had been the case rather than a single (and overpaid) Director with AFAIK arbitrary powers of event-selection, we wouldn't have "happenings" like 50,000 people knitting a map of Cork. Reading about that plan had me in stitches ..........honestly, that last smart-ass sentence just this second jumped into my mind.:D

Why the confrontational atti-tude, dude? First three paragraphs in my original post ended in question marks.........an honest and upfront attempt to determine the views of other forumites on this matter. Nothing more or less. I really am interested in what this 2005 celebration means to You.

True, should not have gone into an offensive comment.
    there was no reason for it , and forgive me for this.

I think it's hard to organize something on a 'grand' scale that will cater for everybody. I myself would also not be interrested in the knittings... (which is kinda weird). But then again i wouldn't be too pleased with a 'Westlife' concert either.

am concerned that this event will amplify the exclusion already experienced on a daily basis by the more economically disadvantaged citizens of Cork. "Culture" IMHO is a Class issue

Now thats just silly, i think it's only an issue when you make it to be one. You 'can ' choose to participate and open your mind for what other people understand as Culture, but to sit on the sideline and bitch about a class-system ?!

And there is little you can do for people prefering a pint in their local complaining about the lack of culture... except maybe place a tent somewhere and bring them outside sitting in the sun and let them continue complaining there.

Culture can be tasted and enjoyed by everyone if only you would open your mind to it....(but still....knitting?!)

Originally posted by Wook
    True, should not have gone into an offensive comment.
    there was no reason for it , and forgive me for this.

It's cool, Wook. Thank you for that. No offense taken .............. all part of the cut and thrust of debate.

Now thats just silly, i think it's only an issue when you make it to be one. You 'can ' choose to participate and open your mind for what other people understand as Culture, but to sit on the sideline and bitch about a class-system ?!
    In fairness, my point was that the working man and his wife are excluded from high culture thru lack of money. I would like to see some degree of affordability factored into this 2005 event so that all the citizens of Cork, rich and poor, can partake. How about a few free concerts along the lines of the "Lark by the Lee" of a coupla years ago. And I don't see any consideration being given to Youth Culture or STreet Culture in the events so far planned. A leap of imagination by the organisors is badly needed .......... something to transcend the blandness of Exhibition of Cork Silversmiths, etc.

• Advertisement

might be true that some parties are left out, but let's just hope this is a step forward and might grow to a community celebration rather then the 60plus headbangers ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A few good free events would be a start. And I mean slightly more than getting some dazed 2FM DJ down to play records while people dance on the street for a day (though I believe that's compulsory and at least it gets the youngsters out).

What has Cork contributed in culture to this little island/continent of ours (I'm not being smart here, I'm from Cork, remember)? Whatever it is, we should have some of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

What has Cork contributed in culture to this little island/continent of ours (I'm not being smart here, I'm from Cork, remember)? Whatever it is, we should have some of that.

here comes the big "school of music" debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cork city's biggest contribution to culture has been those signs erected on scaffolding throughout Cork - "Please don't let all this scaffolding and road works put you off, cork is quite a nice city once you take away all the ****".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I just want a darned airshow like they tried to do years ago for the Cork 500 celebration i think, cept mist came in out of no where and grounded all the planes. Even the Red Arrows came!!

Anyone else wish to help start up a petition for an airshow? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What has Cork contributed in culture to this little island/continent of ours?

The word "langer". Obviously.

Whatever it is, we should have some of that.

Langer.

:)

adam

Originally posted by D-Generate
    I just want a darned airshow like they tried to do years ago

I remember that................. about twelve years ago, I think,.............. and I remember being so disappointed. On the Monday, as they were leaving, the Italian Airforce squad gave a flyover above the city, tipping the wings of their planes in salute. Sheer class. Yeah, would love to see something similar organised again ................ would excite a lot more people than an Exhibition of Cork Silver IMHO.

This evening's Echo carries an article by Nicola Cooke in which she claims the main "centre of culture in Cork" (Emmet Place) is being despoiled by street skateboarders. Local traders -- Marble & Lemon, and Dressing Room -- are quite annoyed it seems. Ordinary kids shouldn't be allowed near such a "cultural" area -- the traders are pressurising the Gardai to have the skateboarders removed to Bishopstown!!! An area where there is less culture I presume?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Xerxes

It's a shame that we had to wait for this City of Culture thing before the anyone even thought of doing up Patrick's Street and the rest of the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's the way the pols work Zerxes. We should come up with more "initiatives" like it. My bedroom is going to be "International Bedroom of Wonder" in 2006.

adam /fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 frenett

Ok, there are a few things that I want to say
    1:
    The whole sk8er issue, I think this public witch-hunt against sk8ers is a farce! The ONLY reason they are being picked on is that they stand out, sk8ers are generally nice decent people who do not steal, and have sum thing to do with there time other than get drunk start fights and make peoples life miserable (witch is all 2 common in cork) and I say, the more the better.
    (im not a sk8er BTW)

2:
    the poorer classes can’t afford the culture, now that’s total horse, sh1t!! one night getting pissed or stoned costs much more than a ticket 2 the opera house, they do not WANT to go to these places, witch is fine by me, but when people start saying there being excluded because they cant afford it, that’s just crap!!

3:
    the city of culture, I think its fantastic that we got it, but our government are not spending enough on it, and are liable to embarrass our city with a half assed show. (when an Austrian city, cant remember witch1, got the city of culture, they built a glass opera house on a lake, along with millions spent on other projects, this is what the city of culture is, and cork is going to..... nit a map.... ohhhhh) they lied to get it to us. So, as much as it pains me 2 say it, I think it should b taken away from us, and if we can earn it back fair N Square, then good.
    Frenett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Xerxes

Yeah, they should leave the skaters alone.I used to work down by the Opera House and I never saw them give anyone any trouble.It's just a bit of fun.I'd rather be a skater than be one of "da lads" who can't grow a moustache and never change out a Celtic jersey and white tracksuit pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 frenett

thank you, the more minority groups around the better, its better to hav a nice guy that stands out a bit, than a bastard that fits in!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement