Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inserting Multiple Quotes

Options
  • 05-08-2003 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hello, may I pose a question regarding insertion of multiple quotes in a post reply, please? I've searched all the FAQ'a and cannot find the answer anywhere. I know it can be done because I've seen evidence of it in other people's post.

If I want to insert a quote from a previous poster in a thread I normally hit the "QUOTE" button and delete down the original post to the bare text I want to quote, 'kay? Now, if I need to insert multiple quotes (either from a single previous post or different posts) I have to cut 'n paste the texts and draw lines (using dashes) above and below the text and type the quotee's name etc. Or else I can do the {quote}{quote/} shuffle by typing these tags and then cut and paste. Either way it's very time consuming and very often I lose the page (and reply) before I can finish. Grrrr. Is there a quick short cut (like hitting the Quote button for a single quote) to insert multiple quotes in Bold and with the quotee's name.

Hoping the above makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

There's a quote button on your reply page. This might make it a bit faster than typing the tags but that's all it does I'm afraid, you don't get to pick a different person to quote so you'll still have to type their name.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Thank you for that, Puck.

Thing is, you still have to type out the text you wanna quote. But, yes, you are saved the bother of typing the tags. However, I find that if the text you need to insert is a bit lengthy it is quicker to cut and paste it in............. and draw a line of dashes above and below it.

A quicker and more convenient method would be a Godsend on a site such as Boards which is strongly focused on debate.

Tanx again, m8.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by pro_gnostic_8
    Thank you for that, Puck.

By way of demonstration, I hit the 'quote' link at the bottom of your post ...

Thing is, you still have to type out the text you wanna quote.

Then I just type the relevant quote and bold tags around your text, so I don't have to type what I want to quote, just the tags and my reply ...
    But, yes, you are saved the bother of typing the tags. However, I find that if the text you need to insert is a bit lengthy it is quicker to cut and paste it in............. and draw a line of dashes above and below it.

And it doesn't take that long at all!

ecksor, I think what pro_gnostic_8 is talking about is quoting from multiple posts also (correct me if I'm wrong).

pro_gnostic_8, When you hit "Reply" there should be a Topic Review on the lower half of the reply page (unfortunately this isn't there when you try to edit your post). You could use this to copy people's words, then hit the "Quote" button on the reply page and paste them in the text area.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Same procedure though roughly. It never strikes me as much of a problem. The topic review is handy for picking out different parts of posts as you say.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ecksor
    Same procedure though roughly. It never strikes me as much of a problem.

Yeah me neither but I guess I don't do that much quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Originally posted by ecksor
    By way of demonstration, I hit the 'quote' link at the bottom of your post ...

Ahhhh ... yes. This could well be the solution.

So, after hitting the QUOTE button at the bottom of a post, instead of editing the quotee's post down to the bare text I wish to quote I place Quote and Bold tags around the blocks of text I want to quote and type my reply(s) in between. Am I correct? <edit> I've just re-read th above long sentence and realise it could be a seriously heavy headphuck.:( Sorry for the verbiage.
    Thanks for the help. BTW....... the quotee's name will only appear above the first block of quoted text? Right? No big deal .

PUCK............. I'm off now to try out your suggestion. Sounds cool..... I wasn't aware of the Topic Review feature. Ta.

Advertisement