Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any ideas for bb in limerick... desperado...

Options
  • 05-08-2003 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi all,
    i have a very sad-ass story of dealing with esat bt for limerick bb, who strung me out for 6 months saying 'next week'... blah blah blah, until i finally found out last week that my line won't accept bb, even though i live in a new estate. they told me at the start that my line was suitable. i lodged a formal complaint which they never acknowledged.. grrrrr...

what can i do now to get bb? i haven't found any wireless operators in the area. does anyone know of any? any ideas?

my dial up bill was €225 for the last 2 months, very painful. iol anytime is a temporary option but i'd like to know from the pros if i have an alternative.

thanks
    tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by zero_mac
    hi all,
    i have a very sad-ass story of dealing with esat bt for limerick bb, who strung me out for 6 months saying 'next week'... blah blah blah, until i finally found out last week that my line won't accept bb, even though i live in a new estate. they told me at the start that my line was suitable. i lodged a formal complaint which they never acknowledged.. grrrrr...

what can i do now to get bb? i haven't found any wireless operators in the area. does anyone know of any? any ideas?

my dial up bill was €225 for the last 2 months, very painful. iol anytime is a temporary option but i'd like to know from the pros if i have an alternative.

thanks
    tim
    I'm in Limerick as well (Dooradoyle) & it took EsatBT 4 months to install ADSL for me. They told me after the 4 months my line wouldn't accept ADSL, after testing it again, it passed. If you haven't already, try getting them to test the line again.

Have you tried other ISPs RADSL (Netsource, UTVIP, €ircon)?

As far as wireless in Limerick goes, theres Chorus Powernet (~€300 installation ~€100/month, poor pings for gaming, have to have line of site to Watchers Hill). I haven't looked into it but theres also IrishWAN (private users setting up a wide area network, theres a group in the midwest AFAIK).

I have found EsatBT incredibly frustrating to deal with as well. When they finally installed ADSL, it was the Line Sharing option when I requested Unbundled. It took them another 4 months to fix this (after I don't know how many phonecalls & emails to them), the connection has just come back after being down for nearly 6 weeks (partly Eircoms fault, it has to be said).

Anyway, best of luck with whichever option you go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭zero_mac

hi, thanks for the tips.
    i tried eircom and utvIP but they go through my phone line which eircom have given the red light to, in terms of bb. so no joy there.

the guys at netsource were very helpful on the phone, and the man there said he'd keep an eye on my phone line over the next few months to keep checking if it gets bb enabled.

the irishWAN site is down... hope this isn't a reflection on their reliability :) i'll check them out later.

€100 a month is a rip off for powernet but i might end up opting for it. anything to not deal with eircom...

thanks
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

move toa different estate one that is on BB enabled xchange :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭zero_mac

i would, but having spent a year on the house knocking down walls and painting etc., i'm not about to do it all again just to get bb :) any other bright ideas? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by Jilm
    As far as wireless in Limerick goes, theres Chorus Powernet (~€300 installation ~€100/month, poor pings for gaming, have to have line of site to Watchers Hill). I haven't looked into it but theres also IrishWAN (private users setting up a wide area network, theres a group in the midwest AFAIK).

I don't think Chorus Powernet is available anymore.

http://www.midwestwan.org/ is the Midwest WAN website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Sent you a mail

John Kennedy
    Secretary MidwestWAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

i have netsource in limerick

C:\>tracert clarity.jolt.co.uk

Tracing route to clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips [1
    92.168.0.1]