Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD/Tv problem

Options
  • 05-08-2003 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

OK just to outline my current home set up

DVD, scart connection to Video recorder, Video recorder linked to TV, via co axial cable

The problem is I am getting that nasty stuff from the DVDs when I try to watch them, i.e. jumping screens, colours fading and brightning.

What I am looking for is a pointer in the direction of getting mt hands on a scart to co axial, since my TV is fairly old and does not have a scart connection at the back, just your standard co-axial port

That way I can feed my ntl connection into Video, feed the video into the TV, and possibly using a spiltter have the DVD hooked straight into the TV aswell

Has anyone ideas on how to achieve this? I know I can get my hands on a co axial splitter, I am just having a hard time tracking down the scart-co axiallead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Don't bother... you'll most likely get the same crappy video quality... co-ax is terrible... unfortunaly for your wallet (but fortunaly for your eyes) the best bet is to get a new TV.

But if you really really want a co-ax to scart convertor do a search on the web.. doubt you'll find anything too cheap (<EUR25) .. or alternatively this subject was discussed in-depth a while ago on this forum, do a search here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

i tried to get a scart to co-ax cable before and i was told that its not possible. I think i found a web dite that described a home job of how to create one but i ended up just buying an old sony 28" with scart/co-ax and s-video inputs done the job nicely.

I dont know much about dvd players but its the macrovision encryption that causes the fading colours/sound etc. Maybe there is a way of disabling the macrovision on your dvd thus making it possible to watch your dvds through your video.

or you could buy a scart to audio-video cable and try to find a av to rf convertor, if you have a console you might have one of these........or are the av to co-ax convertors on consoles a different job altogether. I dunno anyway hope this helps.

I suggest new(to you) but cheap second hand tv with all the necessary connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, mooman's right. This is happening due to macrovision on your DVD recorder, this is put on to stop you making recordings from your DVD player to your VHS via scart.

The best way around it would be to either try and find a code to disable macrovision on your DVD player or get a macrovision killer unit which usually goes between the DVD player and scart and will stop the macrovision. Not too sure how well these things work though.

I've never been able to find a scart -> rf cable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

just get an rf converter, form Peats r similar electronics outlet, it may not connect directly from scart but most dvd players have a 3-phono connection (Red/White/Yellow) r u cud use a scart converter, like the one that comes with the ps2, to connect the dvd player to the rf converter.

Advertisement