Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carlow rent

• 05-08-2003 3:42pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Please dont move this thread as it is totally relevent:P

How much is rent in Carlow nowadays??
    for a single room?
    for a double room?

Say for somewhere near the town and college, nice house, dish washer etc in it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

accordin to the accommodation list could be anywhere between 45-70 but don't count on a dishasher an stuffe speciallly if you're only starting to look now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭car

you shouldnt pay any more than 70 euros and that is without bills included expect to pay at least 30 euros with 4-5 living in a house for bills,
    you want to get your skates on as alot of the accomodation is gone and you might end up with a dump like i did when i was in first year.

try the nationalist on wednesday morns to see whats available or go to a leaser agency as they might have better look for u

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Nah I am hopin to buy a house down there workin out stuff for it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Where I live (the Weirs) its 200 a week between 4 of us, so 50 each. No bills included.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bok

I am paying 65 a week (bills included) on green road but if you look hard enough you could find a really nice place for around 50 a week. Im just settled in the house i am in and it has a really cool landlord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm currently living opposite God's House, near the abandoned shop, at the traffic lights nearest the college (4a Hazel-Cottage)Generates at least 530 a week rent during normal college months.

The other large house had 10 people (Generated 540 a week rent during normal college months) in it, and was opposite the entrance to College Gardens (10 Hillview).

Both have a "2nd years only" policy.

75 yoyo's per week gets me;
    70 = rent
    5 = bills (bins, electricity, tv, etc)

small bed-room
    washing machine
    dryer
    tv in sitting room (4 single chairs, and a double one)
    cooker**
    grill, oven
    fridge
    freezer**
    access to a bathroom with a stand-up shower, loo, and hand basin**
    lotsa cutlery, pots and pans.

(** denotes two of said item, as the house can hold a number of people, one wouldn't be enuf)

Note there are 8 rooms, min rent being 70 for single, usually 50 or 60 for sharing.

5 * 8 = 40 a week * 4 = 160 a month bills.
    Electricity is the snagger, so include bin and tv in the rent, and get them to pay the electicity. Hehehehe.

If yer renting out a 5 room house, don't use ANY double beds. Always two singles. More rent. Also, if it's yer first house, don't let 1st years in. Trust me on that one ;) Do a "second years only" rule.

Also, pick up a copy of the rents sheets from the SU, and see how they differ. Mainly, if its a new gaff, its dear, and if its near the college, its dear, unless, its a converted garage with no heat... (never again).

All mod cons are a plus.

Cooker, grill, oven and fridge & freezer are essentials.

Microwave is a plus. (spegetti hoops)

TV in a living/sitting room is needed, or at least a TV point.

Washing & Drying machines draw in the long term students, such as the foreigners, who don't go home to mommy/girlfriend/bro's girlfriend (talkin' 'bout you Declan!) every weekend to wash the clothes.

Leave a hoover under the stairs. Sometimes they clean up after a party.

No sheets. Let them bring their own. Otherwise your kinda f****d if they puke/otherwise on them.

Local Muscle. Needed if rent is late/over-due. :ninja:

A porch is handy, if you do a no-smoking rule. Gives them somewhere dry to smoke.

If you decide to allow them to smoke in yer gaff, you'll NEVER get the smell out.

=====
    =====
    Thats it fer now. Will add more if I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bok

I have to say I disagree with you on the whole first year thing. Only a handfull of first years destroy places. I was a better tennant in first year than when I was in second year. You can get just as bad second and third years who like making noise and breaking things. Your best off meeting them before you let them into the house and seeing what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

in all honesty
    /most/ people joining first year straight from school - used to oppressive bastards etc.
    Carlow known nationwide for great student life ... meaning pubs/drunkeness/debotuary [don't get me wrong, i've nothing against the afore-mensioned] ... and also relatively high dropouts - probably something to do with the great student-life lol

If made to 2nd year, majority will have worked somewhat, and have some cop on ... there are cases ofc where people go mad in 2nd year also - but for the vast majority i'd imagine, safer going 2nd yrs only.

From my experience in 1st/2nd year of college - 1st year people didn't give crap bout much, and 75% didn't go onto 2nd yr [plc-type thingie] ... if worried about condition of house though - better off playing safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

holy **** lads ye can talk of crap. anyone else been smokin?

Originally posted by stevenk
    holy **** lads ye can talk of crap. anyone else been smokin?

No money. Will get job. See after that... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

sign up for the colleges charter scheme, if students break standard rules like trashing your house, they can be kicked out of college, in return you have to provide certain standards of accomidation, but they never check it anyway, my place last year had mice and ants. and is still on the charter.

going to look at a place near buspark tomorrow, 75 yoyos for all bills, chorus in the bedrooms, cleaner every 2 weeks. seems alright.

was talking to the people who do the places in the carrig abhann estate (on campus) they are liars! said they had the laundry issue sorted since last christmas! and the rooms work out at a whopping 91 yoyos per week. A friend of mine was living there last year and his room had rising damp, they took his deposit off him because he didn't dryline it and plaster over it! Bloody jokers!

Originally posted by Spacedog
    going to look at a place near buspark tomorrow, 75 yoyos for all bills, chorus in the bedrooms, cleaner every 2 weeks. seems alright.

B******!

chorus in the bedrooms

I pay 75 yoyo's, and I don't... But I'm a little nearer the college, suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

We've got a double room spare, in Anglers Walk.

If anyone's interested send me a pm or text me if you have my number and I'll give you landlords num.

I don't want to just put her number up on boards as I don't think it would be fair to her.

:)

Kate
    p.s. Its lovely and will be reaaaallllly close to that new shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

where is Anglers Walk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

better yet whois got my emergiency bedroom

/me looks at rach... hun u know i love ya

Anglers Walk is...erm ok...its just off little Barrack street.

If you were coming down from the college towards town on kilkenny road...you get to traffic lights at bus station , turn right at the lights and you'll see a gala shop its the turn just before that shop.

And that's the best way I can explain it...its behind the new fairgreen shopping center!

Kate

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I can safely say I am lost,
    whats whois?

I have decided against gettin my house in Carlow as theres nothin suitable at the moment:)

I wanna be a student again

I get slower everyday:(
    finally got what u meant:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

1) your spamming
    2) u didnt get what he meant ; i explained ;P lol
    3) so this thread is now just all spam - as it's point is now useless, and ye've just made 3 consecutive postings ;P
    yer taking over from my spamming!

• Advertisement

Hey:)
    Anyone know of any decent houses with 2 single rooms to rent in it?
    2 of my friends going back and havin probs findin a house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i know a decent house with a double room ur friends can share?!?! its a 5 ppl house with 3 already about 2 start livin in it! its got 2 girls and 1 strapping young lad!

B_Man u wish!
    Anyway the 'ouse is loverly...mit gorgeous erm couch and lovely broken blow up sofa coz Some FAT a** broke it!

Anyone know of any other houses around.
    must be a single room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

it took us ages to find a house wit 2 single rooms but there's a house in riverside wit 1 single beside the shop. there's a full list on the itcarlow website anyway

thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

You could live in the otterholt. HAHA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

the otterholt is the only known place in ireland that has cockroaches! considering there not naitve to our climate it's only reasonable to assume that the people who run the place imported them specially to make the place more of a ****ehole than it was already, JP McArdle told me that it was going to be knockcd down and that a garage was being built in it's place. sooner the better, although the TV room in there is a good laugh for ripping the piss outta the bums! :)

The otterhole is great fer livin in, but there's only one kitchen, fer the entire place, so yer gonna get screwed in that area. Also, I've lived in a cold damp hellhole (fer 40 yoyo's a week), and its better than the otterhole :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement