Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What TV to buy?

Options
  • 05-08-2003 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

Im looking to buy a new TV. Probably a 32" Wide Screen. Can anyone suggest a good quality cheap one? Dont want to spend too much on it. I heard someone say that it needs to be 100Hhz. Is this true?

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Try to go for Sony if at all possible (they're a bit expensive but worth the extra). Don't go near Black Diamond or JVC.
    100 Hz is nice but not essential however with a 32 inch set the picture is very flickery & hard to watch.

D.I.D. are good for prices.

Try here
    http://www.didstore.com/
    Their site dosent give prices though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I have to say Philips is a fine make with very easy to follow menus. Would not touch Mitsubichi (wrong spelling). The folks got a new one and by pressing two buttons in succession you loose everything.
    Got a Philips 70cm W/screen 499 E's awhile ago very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

why does everyone hate blackdiamond ? :( ive a blackdiamond and its grande...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

go with sony if you can afford it i bought a 32 inch wega home theatre two weeks ago all i can say i WOW, sony all the way :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

What is the purpose of the TV ?
    Is it to watch cables/sky or an upgrade for a HT setup ?

The reason I'm asking is becasue if you have already a TV at home (even a 21") that should do grand for normal TV watching and for about the same money of a new 32" TV, you can get a great Projector (not a presentation projector) and get a 100" screen !

That's the only way to watch a movie in my opinion...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Aragorn

Its really just for normal use. I dont have enough wall space for the projector, but great idea.

Has anyone ever used a Philips TV? This one seems like a good option...

Philips TV

Its for sale in Power City for €869. A bit above my budget, but I might strech it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Before buying from powercity check out the "Sony - different model" thread, as one of the replies in it explains powercitys methods for getting cheaper price tvs (dodgy).

I myself just got a 28" panasonic and am really happy with it, great features so maybe look at a couple of pannys,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

mmmm...nice TV (the philips), however a few tips before you buy.
    Go to as many shops you can and try to view them "in action" side by side.
    Do not hesitste to ask to play with the menus - from my experience the TVs on display aren't set up at all (just out of the box really).
    Bring your own DVD (one that you know really good) and ask to view it on the competitors as well.

For 32" and above I would recommend to get a 100Hz TV, ask to see it working and without and decide if it does maake a difference for you.

Good Luck

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by savemejebus
    Before buying from powercity check out the "Sony - different model" thread, as one of the replies in it explains powercitys methods for getting cheaper price tvs (dodgy).

Just to be fair to Powercity, I have spoken to Sony Ireland and they said that the B is the model that they sell in Ireland, not the TNS. So Powercity may or may not being buying them from Europe, either way the guy from Sony siad they are all made in the same factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

Personally I like Panasonic as well, I have a 36" WS and one of their projectors and couldn't be happier. I always feel with Sony you're paying a few hundred extra for the same quality kit but the Sony badge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Just to be fair to Powercity, I have spoken to Sony Ireland and they said that the B is the model that they sell in Ireland, not the TNS. So Powercity may or may not being buying them from Europe, either way the guy from Sony siad they are all made in the same factory.

Sorry i wasn't saying don' buy at power city, I was just trying to say that you should be aware of the fact that sometimes if you get something for a bargain price you can get caught out service wise if something goes wrong, and when spending so much cash on one thing i think it's important to get up front assurances that you'll get good after sales service

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by savemejebus
    Sorry i wasn't saying don' buy at power city, I was just trying to say that you should be aware of the fact that sometimes if you get something for a bargain price you can get caught out service wise if something goes wrong, and when spending so much cash on one thing i think it's important to get up front assurances that you'll get good after sales service

Oh, I agree 100% and had I known that I could have gotten it from a Sony Centre by just quoting the Powercity ad, then I would have.

In fact I'm thinking of getting a Sony extended warranty for it to ensure I get good after sales service.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by bk
    Oh, I agree 100% and had I known that I could have gotten it from a Sony Centre by just quoting the Powercity ad, then I would have.

In fact I'm thinking of getting a Sony extended warranty for it to ensure I get good after sales service.

Not singleing u out just thought it was a good point to make, i think this is one of the main problems with people in this country, no1 is willing to ask for a price-match, Bit of shopping around and asking people in different shops to match prices and everyone will get the service they require at the places that give the best service instead of just assuming that the price on the sticker is non-negotiable and having to go to a dedicated dealer wen u need to no sumting particular about ur product that one of the "discount" stores cant offer or just plain old honest to goodness personal customer attention.

Advertisement