Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Agree Fee For Joe Cole

• 05-08-2003 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

The West Ham exodus continues. West Ham have agreed a fee of 6.6 Million quid for Joe Cole with Chelsea. Good buy for Chelsea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

very good buy for chelsea. They seem to be building up a formidable young squad. Not title contenders next season imo but certainly a team to watch in the future. Does this kill The veron bid i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Meh they can have him. He'll never be as good as was expected when he burst onto the scene all dem years ago. Or maybe playing in a team like Chelsea's, he'll flourish and look like a bargain. Either that or he'll end up like Jody Morris. Can't seem to make up my mind about this one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I am a bit suprised it was talked anout before Roman took over, he has lots of skill but doesn't score enough goals perhaps Claudio can turn him into a better player, I'd like CFC fans view on him.
    he's alot better than Morris.

I've just been informed that Veron fee agreed 15 mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Ah for feck sake. Thats some bloody squad yis have now. Lethal defence, quality midfield and pretty decent attacking options. Yer definitely putting it up to Man U and Arsenal. I'm not a happy bunny. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Apparently Utd are getting Defoe and Cole for 15 million.

Would that be the same 15m they are getting for Veron tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Cole is quality player and at 6.6 mil a bargain and a half..

If utd got cole and defoe for the Veron money, it'd be great business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Wow ... Chelsea have basically bought a brand new midfield!

Duff ... Cole ... Veron ... Geremi

Not to mention some of the other midfielders they already have in their squad: Lampard, Petit, Stanic, Gronkjaer, Zenden. Theres going to be some competition for places in their first XI! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Chelsea Fiction (15-07-2003)
    For central midfield they already have Lampard, Geremi, Petit and Stanic. They've also been in talks with West Ham about Joe Cole - Liverpool have cooled their interest in Cole so if he decides to leave West Ham, Chelsea are the only interested party at the moment. If they sign Cole then they'll have a nice blend of youth and experience for central midfield.
    Liverpool dropped out of the negotiations because Cole wanted to stay in London.

Where are the doubting Chelski supporters now? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

You've got to hand it to this guy- he doesnt mess about. A whole new first choice midfield with Cole in today and Veron possibly to follow. It's like a game of Championship manager in the old days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I am one of the doubters and the big thing here is how long it takes the team to gel. With the amount of changes and new personnel in Chelski it could take them 6 months to play as a team. Then again if they get their act together early they'll be up there challanging !!

God I'm missing footy badly at the moment. Can't wait for the new season :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Who does he think he owns, Real Madrid? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i've always considered cole a bit of a showboat he has his moments of brilliance but he's no zola replacement but he is better than morris !
    gotta feel a bit sorry for the wet sham supporters though , no team left and first division football looking likely for at least a second season , it wont be easy to claw their way out of this mess.

still not entirely happy about veron either , think he's a waste of £15 million but hey it's not my money and he might come good.

I can't decide how Ranieri would be feeling now , at one level he's like a kid in a sweetshop and can buy anyone he wants on the other the pressure must be on to win things at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'd imagine Ranieri is delighted right now - if it was the standard British manager I think heart attacks would have happened weeks ago. He's used to the culture where the owner of the club buys and sells without much consultation with the manager.

I'd imagine Ranieri has at most 3 years to win the CL, or at least come damn close. The great thing is that most of the money being spent is going to other British teams - so it's not giving cash to foreign clubs for the sake of less squad space for the players already in the league.

As a pool fan it's not good news, trying to improve on last seasons fifth is going to be damn hard. Never mind that, I'm actually looking forward to watching Chelsea play. Hopefully Duff holds down his place - he said he was leaving Blackburn for the challenge and he is certainly going to get that. If Veron and Cole are both added then it should be very interesting indeed.

The significance is every player that has signed and on the verge of coming are players with PL experience and ex PL experience, one more likely to come in possibly a striker, Forssell has booked his place for next week, outstanding last night, great to see Duff getting goal too.:)
    is Veron the players CFC have been crying out for will give killer passes to the strikers? the answer is yes:
    is he a ball winner? no but I've been impressed with Gerem in CM.
    Cole cud become a better player under Claudio guidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Would that be the same 15m they are getting for Veron tomorrow?

Yes..................Yes It is :)

Well it would be the same 15mil except that Cole is far more likely to opt for Chelsea as they will offer him more money, the option to remain in London and the chance to join a club who are building their squad as opposed to dismanteling it.

Any news on where Defoe is most likely to go to? He would good alongside VanNist.

PPete
    I'd imagine Ranieri is delighted right now

I dont think this is the case as the rumour coming out of chelski is that the players being signed are from a shortlist compiled by Sven Goran Ericcson. If This rumour is correct I dont Think Ranieri has 3 years left at chelsea.

PPete
    I'd imagine Ranieri is delighted right now

I dont think this is the case as the rumour coming out of chelski is that the players being signed are from a shortlist compiled by Sven Goran Ericcson. If This rumour is correct I dont Think Ranieri has 3 years left at chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Very interesting .... & it makes sense .... If Ranieri can't win the league with the team that Roman has built, then hello Mr. Ericcson!!

I am Not big into european soccer but was Veron and Sven at lazio at the same time. Lets be honest Veron was not purchased on the strength of his performances at utd.

Muppet thats a stupid comment to make these are SGE signings?
    hmmm lets see
    Ranners wanted Geremi for 3 years
    wanted Duff last year
    wanted Johnson for a while same with Bridge
    wanted Cole earlier in the summer
    and wants to make Veron the king of CFC.

:

according to text earlier Vieri will also ve unveiled today but Inter have denied it..

Smuckers
    Muppet thats a stupid comment to make these are SGE signings?

As I said its a rumour i have heard. It came from the same source that told me on tuesday that a 15m deal for veron was to be announced on wednesday. if your a betting man what odd will you give me on SGE taking over at chelski after the european champs next Year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Just on the news there now that Inter have accepted a €20m bid for Vieri & he's reluctantly said he'd sign [for €5m a year]!!

INTER DENY VIERI SALE REPORTS
    Thursday 7th August 2003

Vieri: No sale say Inter

Related stories:

Veron signs for Chelsea
    Chelsea complete Cole deal

More Chelsea stories:

Veron signs for Chelsea
    Chelsea complete Cole deal

Fixtures
    Results
    Top Scorers
    Sinners
    Tables
    Squad Lists
    Transfers

INTER MILAN have denied reports that they are on the brink of selling Christian Vieri to big-spending Chelsea for £20 million.
    Speculation is rife that the Italian international is set to become the latest addition to millionaires' row at Stamford Bridge following the spectacular double capture of Manchester United's Juan Sebastian Veron and West Ham skipper Joe Cole.

Roman Abramovich's spending spree seems far from over and Vieri has long been identified as the ideal spearhead to the West Londoners' Premiership and Champions League assault.

Yet Inter have insisted that they have not even entered into negotiations to sell the 30-year-old Azzurri ace.

"There is no agreement with any club," affirmed a spokesman for the Milan-based outfit. "There are not even any negotiations.

"Christian Vieri is an Inter player and he will wear Inter's shirt next season as well.

"There is no doubt at all about that."

Vieri stressed he was happy to remain at Giuseppe Meazza when the speculation concerning a possible move to Chelsea initially surfaced, but, as Abramovich is proving, money talks when it comes to Chelsea's bid to build a top quality squad

as long as Bates is there SGE will never manage CFC.:)

Originally posted by smuckers

as long as Bates is there SGE will never manage CFC.:)
    At the risk of Muppet disagreeing with me (just for the sake of it:D ), I'm not quite sure how much clout bates has anymore. Having said that I think Ranieri is a far better manager and it would be a huge mistake not to give him 2 or 3 years more. He's done a great job so far without these resources and give him a chance to prove he can keep the head with all the selection dilemas he is now going to face. I reckon he's up to it.

At the risk of Muppet disagreeing with me (just for the sake of it ),

Is that the first sign of Paranoia I see Pete. :D

I dont disagrre with you just for the sake of it \we just hold differen opinions on some topics. the next time you post something i agree with i will tell you just to set your mind at ease.

;)

Edit,< Just digested your post P Pete. In fact i agree with your comments on bates and ranners. I'm not saying that employing SVG would be a good move for chelski I am just relaying a rumour I heard from what I consider to be an informed source.>EDIT

• Advertisement

Inter have said there has been no official bid never said there's been no verbal bid. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

veron was bought by erickson at sampdoria and when lazio hired him he brought him with him i dont rate erickson as a manager he bought the league at lazio plain and simple he bought players for the short term just to have players ie ravanelli attilio lombardo he seems more interested in promoting himself and getting money out of england than axtually managing them as for raineiri he bleeds football he is good at promoting youth and is more interested in seeing the team do well then signing merchandising deals so heres hoping raineri stays

I dont disagrre with you just for the sake of it \we just hold differen opinions on some topics. the next time you post something i agree with i will tell you just to set your mind at ease.
    Manchester United are better than Liverpool (at football).

PPETE
    Manchester United are better than Liverpool (at football).

Sorry pete but i,ll have to disagree with that. mind you Its only the existance of the qualification at the end that i disagree with.

PPETE

Sorry pete but i,ll have to disagree with that. mind you Its only the qualification at the end that i disagree with.
    :confused: So they're better than Liverpool but not at football?

So they're better than Liverpool but not at football?

No wrong again Pete just leave out the (at football) and your spot on.;)

• Advertisement

You said you disagreed with the qualification at the end - wanting it omitted is in no way whatsoever the same thing. I'm not saying that you have to agree or disagree with it - but if you do disagree with it, it would be nice to know why.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

"Veron is the best midfielder in the world," Ranieri said
    roffle. i hadn't realised the iraqi information minister had already found himself a new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Imo Chelsea have bought the best young midfielder in England (yes, quote me) and he is a realy, realy good prospect. He is still young, and can set up goals, score them and he just keeps on running. Last season he was frustrated, as every West Ham player and staff were... they had a bad time from the beginning and noone got into the swing of things, but I think Joe Cole (having a bad season) still did quite well, and I think he will replace the empty space for the "Young midfielder" that Jodie Morris was promised to fill about 4 years ago (he never realy made it if you don't know who he is...)

You said you disagreed with the qualification at the end - wanting it omitted is in no way whatsoever the same thing. I'm not saying that you have to agree or disagree with it - but if you do disagree with it, it would be nice to know why.

Sorry P-Pete I dont knowwhat your talking about i suggest you read the post again:D

just got there before 2880 miniutes i think:D :D:D:D:D

Sorry P-Pete I dont knowwhat your talking about i suggest you read the post again:D

just got there before 2880 miniutes i think:D :D:D:D:D
    Yes, the post now that I read it again does talk about the "existance" of the qualification. It also says when the post was last edited. You'll note on my post where I quoted you (which I don't think has been edited recently), the wording is slightly different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement