Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The World's First Gay Soccer Team

• 05-08-2003 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Soccer may be laughably closeted in Enbland but the Yanks have had no problem putting the gay into 'it's a funny old gay-me Saint'. Naturally enough, it was in New York that the world got its first gay soccer team. In 1980, an ad was put in the Village Voice enquiring if there were any gay men interested in playing soccer and started a soccer team. The area chosen was secluded part of Central Park called the Rambles. The few lads who showed up made ueer history, The New York Rambers were born. More people followed suit soon after and before long there was enough of them to form the Internation Gay And Lesbian Football Association (IGLFA) which now has over 30men's and 20 women's teams under it's belt. Aside from the trounaments held by the IGLFA, the Rambers compete annually in the Munich Oktoberfest Trounament, the Pumpkin Patch and the Provincetown Classic and they have their own New York Indoor Classic every winter. They even have their own awards dinner. They're a grand bunch of lads whose philosophy is to 'provide a comfortable and fun space for all people, regardless of their skill, sexual orientation, gender, race or religion; to come together and enjoy the competition and sport of soccer, good friends and to be a part of the ongoing Ramblers family'. You don't even have to be gay to join - according to their constitution, all you need is an interest in soccer and to pay your club dues. And to wear extremely tight white shorts. No, that bit is made up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jEt|Dino

are you for real ?

buy a magazine of men or something please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That Rich Coming for a yankee . How gay is it padding yourself out to play rugby and the call it American Football.

EH Stanley Gay Or What

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lads that article is about football so there is no problem with posting it. Now behave and don't make me angry :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by The Muppet
    That Rich Coming for a yankee . How gay is it padding yourself out to play rugby and the call it American Football.

EH Stanley Gay Or What

Im irish borne and bred. Dublin specifically.

I may be gay, i may not.

I wonder will the IGLFA see a team from ireland soon? Or maybe hold an IGLFA world cup. That'd be good imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

mate of mine plays for a gay rubgy team here in London..

He is going to Sydney next year for the 'gay olympics'

maybe there is a soccer comp. there, at that, is that what your looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I can honestly say i haven't heard of the gay olympics. I'll have a nose around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Well theres so many Gays around now thinking there just liek everyone else, why cant there be a gay football team i suppose?

i tell why its a bad idea beacuse the taught of
    massiv mingin bruvers ridin each uva up da batty whilst playing soccer is I think discusting

Poll anyone

/me winks at stan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by jEt|Dino
    i tell why its a bad idea beacuse the taught of
    massiv mingin bruvers ridin each uva up da batty whilst playing soccer is I think discusting

what are you on about. teams that have both men and women are at it like rabbits too? please enlighten me

read my post over and over again

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wonder how you prove you are gay to qualify for the Gay Olympics....

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by jEt|Dino
    read my post over and over again

I'd rather not, it's making me want to vomit as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

jEt|Dino has been banned from Soccer for the next week.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Originally posted by phaxx
    I'd rather not, it's making me want to vomit as it is.

The post or the thought? Good one for the ban IMHO- gaybashing is neither big nor clever..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by STaN
    I can honestly say i haven't heard of the gay olympics. I'll have a nose around

Christ , step out of the closet more. The Gay Olympics get a lot of press coverage every time they're on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

While I know he was wrong, am I bad for laughing at jet|dino's comment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Wtf is the point?

For a group that seeks acceptance and equality to single themselves out in sporting areas that have nothing to do with sexual preference.

Gay soccer team, gay olympics - it seems like just another form of bloody personal ads.

Just insecure attention whores in my view.

JAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Well theres so many Gays around now thinking there just liek everyone else, why cant there be a gay football team i suppose?

Sure, and have one for say, jewish people too. *rolls eyes*
    IMO a 'gay soccer team' is at best, a novelty, at worst, self segregation!

Advertisement