Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything you need to know about Esat Bt business

Options
  • 06-08-2003 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭

Okay I thought id try emphasis on TRY and inform people about this product.

Note this is NOT a totally detailed report etc things like deposits may vary so if I am misplaced on anything here please please point it out to me.

I would to start first by shwoing you the stats.

ESAT BT BUSINESS STATS
    Esat Business
    512/256

Boards.ie
    C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=55
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=55
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=55
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 217.114.166.147:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 14ms

Jolt

C:\>ping clarity.jolt.co.uk

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 23ms

Taken from the last page of the sticky thread about pings , user = strat

download speed 64k solid

Note however this may , may vary due to computer preformance and router.

Okay now for some info on the service.

Service

The contention ration is minimum compared to eircom and netsource. It is I believe 24:1.It also has a backhaul at the exchange of 8 megs were as if you were on netsource you would be on a contention ratio of 48:1 with a backhaul of a 2meg line. Note however this is also dependent on Bandwith

There is no interlevaing which means if your a keen gamer then you will have EXTREMLY low pings as you may have noticed from the stats

There is no cap :) this of course is extremly nice.

Now we move onto the prices.

PRICES
    okay there is many business products you can avail of.

The 512/256
    The 1meg/256
    The 2meg/256

the last 2 being somewhat too expensive.

Ne way I will talk about the 512 service. The cost of installation is
    125.00 euros and the cost of the montly rental is 90 euros.

Prices discluding vat

The install period is 19 working days then again it really depends on how fast eircom and esat do the work.

Here is how it works , you pay them in 4 Quarterly Installments.

The first installament however included the installation price . This feee + the first 3 months is taking out of your account via direct debate after the installation has been done.So more or less you pay up front.The first installment + 3 monthly fees comes to something like 460 euro after vat.

If your not a business person or are not in retail.Then after you signup you will probobly be asked to pay a deposit which has happened to a few people I know of.I was aksed today to pay a deposit of 250.00 euros.

If you are asked to pay a deposit then this deposit then goes towards the last quarterly installment you have to make.

so first quarterly installment = around 460.00 euros
    The 3 after that are about 309.00 euros *before vat* every 3 months

Note the last quarterly instalment could decrease if you have been asked to pay a deposit

Once again I am just trying to let a few people know about the effects of this product and how it works in case you order it only to be horrofied by the large amounts of the first installment and deposit[if you have to pay one that is]

Feel free to add ne thing I have missed on this.

To those of you who have pmd me asking me about this product I hope it clears somethings up thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

yes???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Given that these packages are only available from the limited number of Esat owned exchanges, if anyone has a list of these exchanges it would prevent a lot of 'can I get it esat business in <insert town>?' posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

List of enabled Esat exchanges for business DSL can be found here .

Just to correct on one point on your post, both Eircom and Netsource have ADSL offerings with a 24:1 contention, Netsource again no cap(€89 ex vat per month), eircom with a 10gb cap(similar price to Netsource with another higher priced package that has no cap). Both these offerings have interleving switched on which means higher pings for gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Just two things i'd like to correct if i may :)
    depends on how fast eircom and esat do the work.
    As far as i remmeber being on a LLU exchange means that it has nothing to do with Eircom

The second thing is that interleaving disabled = fastpath. This is just for those people that have heard of this and wanted it but didn't know what it meant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

why are you comparing a esat business product, with a netsource res product? why are you not comparing an esat product with an equivalent product from a different ISP. yes the netsource dsl product has a contention of 48:1 but has a price of 64ish euro a month including vat where yours is charged at 103 a month and doesn't include VAT.

• Advertisement

As he said its 90 a month + VAT. Dont know where u got 103 from*... he's also not giving out or comparing so much as just letting people know what the Esat Business Product actually is. He's then comparing to the other products people are actually getting which are Netsource Residential.

Only reason people would get Esat BT Business product would be for superior pings and perhaps contention. If neither of these affect you then go with netsource or one of the other providers.

santalives you seem to have missed the reason for him posting. Not to compare but to inform.

*Infact on re-reading his post i do but now i dont know where hes getting €303 for 3 months from when he states earlier that its 90 p/m. (which is correct)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Might also want to add the "19" working days should be taken with a pinch of salt, i'll be waiting 40 this friday and although they say the line is now active their is no sign of the engineer i was told would contact me.

Best be worth it.

Yer my 19 working days are up this friday, ill ring em on thursday and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Lol that should obviously have been 270 euros per 3 months before vat soz aboutt he 300 figure must have been on crack :)

No I am not trying to compare nor am I trying to sell a service just trying to let people know that there is some issues they need to know about which may not be pointed out to them when they want to signup.

I merly used the contention ratio comparision as a means to show how the product differs from other and what you can expect to get download wise when you connect .

As for the FastPath thing thanks for pointing it out :)

And yes if you want to make the comparision with netsource being cheaper , etc etc then do so.

Once again this product may be a we bit steep for people but if you enjoy gaming and low low pings , no cap , and fastpath then maybe this is for you.if not then netsource provide just as good s ervice for cheaper.

THE CHOICE IS YOUS

do de do do , do de do do

Would also like to point out that the deposit seems to differ slightly from person to person. I only seem to have payed €65 deposit. (I must be special :D )

• Advertisement
Advertisement