Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night snacks

• 06-08-2003 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Just because it could be an amusing topic.
    What's the oddest thing you've stuck together late at night (in the morning) that actually tasted damn good?

mine, probably the sandwich that inspired this: corned beef, cheese and barbecue sauce, not exactly the kind of thing that any restaurant would serve, but at half 3 in the morning, it was damn tasty.

(if this is a repost, or if you think it's idiotic and an insult please don't flame, it's good hearted)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That sounds like a fine sandwich to me. I can't remember my strangest as I was rather drunk at the time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Okay - there's a firm favourite which is a toasted cheese and ham with sliced gherkins...

then there's mashed potato with grilled cheese on top...

avacado and melted blue cheese on toast (sprinkle on lemon juice too - yummage)...

peanut butter and white bread (from a decent loaf - not the sliced kind)... smooth or crunchy doesn't matter, with a HOOOGEmungus mug of tea...

home made 'pizza' - that being the contents of a tin of plum tomatoes, a tsp of mixed herbs and a coating of melted cheese, all on toast...

here hang on, in retrospect toast is a big one for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A ham and strawberry jam sandwich. I'd run out of butter you see and it seemed such a good idea at the time. Ham's actually quite nice with blackcurrant jam.

Barbecue sauce, cheese and any kind of meat is always good. Or a yorkie sandwich. Rameinder of curry dinner in bread.

I'll add anything to bread if there's nothing "usual" in the cupboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

When I get late night munchies it's gotta be crisps. Cheese and onion. And if there's cheese (Cracker Barrell) I'll cut it into small cubes and eat it on the crisps.

Those homemade pizzas are really tasty too, especially with loads of bacon. Oh! Bacon sambos...mmm. The more bacon the better and the crispier the bacon the better also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

my fav is georgeforeman grilled pitta bread stuffed with cheese ham, onion, and tomato with plenty of dijon mustard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I one couldn't decide between koka noodles or a toasted sandwich (from a toasted sandwich maker) so I made a Koka noodle toasted sandwich.

It wasn't bad, noodles were all crispy outside and mushy inside..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

me and my mate found a pizza near the Burlington on the way home from the pub. It was just in a box lying on the road, looked ok, smelled ok, so we took it home and ate it! quite, quite drunk obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Hmm.. Mine would have to be a slice of pizza, an entire packet of sour cream ripples crisps, and a few slices of cheese between two slices of toast.. I was lazy and hungry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

mine would be a)ice creams. mmm.
    b) taco shells...empty taco shells.

or the ultimate quick fix meal that's SOoooo nice involves chicken goujon things with salsa and totrillas. 20 mins max to make and so nice at 3am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

The weirdest thing I have eaten whilst drunk was a beef jerky stick dipped in ranch dressing. I remember at the time it tasted really good? Who knows...

As far as late night munchies...I love seedless grapes...YUMMM YUMMM YUMMMMMMY!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Red Hot Dutch Edam, melted inside a tortilla, with lettuce and salsa. Twas a bit spicy for something in the middle of the night but....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Originally posted by DriftingRain
    As far as late night munchies...I love seedless grapes...YUMMM YUMMM YUMMMMMMY!

Dude.

If there are none I'd have to go for some kind of toasted sandwhich. As Minesjaacksskasasksaiels said, ham, cheese and gherkins are nice. Along with some peppers, pickled onions, tomato and mayonaise ofcourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Noodles, of any sort, stuffed in a pitta bread with sauce and cheese.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ate a tin of peach slices in syrup once when pissed, was back at a mates place after a serious night on the beer, got back to his place about 4ish and by the time the munchies kicked in I no take aways were open..

so decided to have a ramble into the kitchen and look and see what was there, no real food as it was near the end of the college year,.. so found a tin of peaches and a tin opener and that did nicely.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Sunblest Breakfast Pancakes with loads of butter and jam is my current favourite but it has to be expensive jam like Bonne Maman or it doesn't quite work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have woken up and passed the time eating thick slices of cheddar dipped in chilli sauce on several non-consecutive occasions. Try it, it's yummy. Also, a chunk of Edam covered in honey is tastiness incarnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Came back from Fireworks at 3 in the morning after an amazing cab ride, had about three layers of cheese in soda bread, with branston pickle and lettuce. Was feckin gorgeous, then went straight to bed, tossed and turned for 2 hours, decided I needed a crap, sat my fine ass on the seat and hurled into the basin beside me. Still a beautiful culinary delight though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

nah the best has to be dubliner cheese, tomato, coldslaw and ham all slapped together in about 2 min, tastes so great at 3am and easy to make............and it contains 3 different types of veg, dairy products and meat if your worried about that kind of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

i tried this recently and it was excellent!

bap, choc spread. pancake, peanut butter, other half of the bap!

it was so delicious!

also, nibble opposite corners of a gold bar and suck milk up through it! (actually this works with a few bars)

another 2 am concoction!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

How about two slices of toast with prawn cocktail (actual prawns in sauce, not crisps) spread on said toast then covered with noodles and the other slice of toast on top. I didn't have it but I've seen it being eaten by drunken house mates.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement