Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a good computer case?

• 06-08-2003 12:32am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I've pretty much decided on my PC specs except for the case. Anyone tried Chieftec? I'm looking at this one Chieftec Dragon MidiTower, w/Door, Black but not sure if the door is just something cosmetic that would eventually piss me off.

The 360W should be enough for all my needs as well as there being enough slots for me. I'm just not sure what case to go for (besides something that looks kinda pretty, even if the other computer components are the dull creamy grey to its black). Seeing as everything else is coming from komplett, it might be a good idea for me to go with them. Or else should I just pick something up in Maplin or Peats?

Thanks....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I've two Chieftec BX towers here .. they're excellent cases.. quite heavy though, and very big (same size as the Dragon I belive).. decent inside, although the plastic fan holders can rattle a bit if installed (best to remove them)... HD caddys are handy as are the slide & click-in cd-drive bays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

I think elaras boards.ie specials have cases in it this week. Might be worth a look.
    If you want to see cases infront of you before you buy Peats usually have a half decent selection in their shop.
    Ger

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Kali
    I've two Chieftec BX towers here .. they're excellent cases.. quite heavy though, and very big (same size as the Dragon I belive).. decent inside, although the plastic fan holders can rattle a bit if installed (best to remove them)... HD caddys are handy as are the slide & click-in cd-drive bays.

So you recommend a different fan? I presume they can be replaced easily enough, at a later stage, if I find it annoying.

The wieght won't bother me as I won't be transporting it about the place...

Have you done any modifications to it? I see you can get a transparency feature: they just gimmicky or of any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

err gimmicky. they're pointless... tower computers invariably go on the floor under a desk, why on earth youd want to see in is beyond me :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So would you recommend the Chieftec brand? Or howabout Elara's lanboy special at the moment? Oh I'm thinking too much...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I got one of these from the US. Shipping was $25, sent on Thursday, had it on Monday. Excellent case, very cool with five fans included but no PSU. With the exchange rate as it is now the price can't be beat. He also has some nice aluminium Lian Li cases at good prices. E-mail him first to confirm he will ship to Ireland for $25 still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Konix

i have the chieftec big twer case, excellent case but a bit big....get the miditower if your getting one. lots of room in them. the door can be annoying but you can take it off and put it on easily....no screws or anything. loads of hard drive room and fan slots. go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

am i the only one who hated thermalmake cases? i think they look ugly and cheap

anyway coolcsasemods has some excellent lookin caseswith loadsa fans, you might need a psu

http://www.coolcasemods.com/customer/home.php?cat=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I got one of those big black chieftecs too. I only got it, because it came with the bundle. I think its too big and am looking to downsize to a smaller desktop case (anyone know where I could get one cheap? thx), and im looking at a fanless psu to fit in it. The fans that come with the case sound like a hgover. But if size and noise dont bother you then go for that case. I cant fault its easy access or storage space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the xaser3 is a good case build but it's uglier than the redhead from girls aloud

for style and good build i like the coolermaster atc 200 i've got one my self

http://www.geocities.com/cr3mo/Computer/case.jpg

paste link into new browser geocites worst hosting ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

My case isn't that bad. Tho i still have to get the blue neon light for the inside of the window and cut a whole for a fan with leds.

http://www.wincentral.net/2.jpg

Maybe you would be interested in this case?

edit..
    by the way they now come in a grey version and they are **** hot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by milltown
    I got one of these from the US. Shipping was $25, sent on Thursday, had it on Monday. Excellent case, very cool with five fans included but no PSU. With the exchange rate as it is now the price can't be beat. He also has some nice aluminium Lian Li cases at good prices. E-mail him first to confirm he will ship to Ireland for $25 still.

cool, was thinkin about getting 2 cases off of them Milltown, did you get caught for taxes? how heavy is the case, would it be ok for moving about every now and then? i.e. goin to lans?

Advertisement