Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little something different

• 06-08-2003 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

While you are all talking about O2/Vodafone and Meteor I thought I`d add a little oriental flavour to the mix. Two days ago I got my Japanese mobile. The network is called AU and uses CDMA2000 which could (possibly) be called 3G, depending on who you talk to.

The phone cost 135 quid and it is such a kewl phone. It has a GPS function which is actually really accurate (compared to O2`s location service). I can take pictures, of course, along with movies. The maximum length a movie can be if you want to send it is 15 seconds. Otherwise, you can store 60 seconds. The phone doesn`t have much memory though - about 4MB. I can download small movies aswell. I downloaded a 201kb trailer in between 15-20 seconds. Much better than GPRS was in Ireland for me. Ringtones are so kewl. The polyphonics here are really good but AU have a service which actually gives you a 30 second clip of a song. I`ve got the Tatu song coz I didn`t know any other (my knowledge of J-Pop is quite limited)

Compared to the 6610 I bought my Dad for 99 quid it`s amazing though. I love the fact that I can email from the phone. It`s a pity txt messaging doesn`t work. A little sidenote though, signal strength is very funny. Cells can grow and shrink with CDMA and sometimes you can see that with signal strength, especially when you are inside. Eg: normally I get a full signal at home but once or twice it suddenly disappeared and I couldn`t email.

The big downside of this all is that phone service is expensive. Basic monthly rental is over 30 quid with about 10 quid free calls. Then calls cost over 30c a minute. To send emails is cheap enough though. For me, because I signed up for cheaper packetr cost (an extra tenner a month with about 6 quid free value) it works out as about 1c for 384 characters ( an sms can be up to 160 at home). You can send up to a few thousand characters if you want. For those of you that want to know it`s 1.2c/kb with my package. Normally it would be about 3 times that price.

I hope that was a nice distraction for you all.

Joe

Advertisement