Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use PC on TV permanently.

• 06-08-2003 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Was just thinking to myself there.. Instead of having the hassle of selling all my old PC parts after my upgrade, why dont i just make a PC from the parts for my parents and take this PC away.

I have practically everything bar the case (gonna search the shed tomorrow for something that resembles it and make it a case) and monitor.

Instead of having to spend €70 on a monitor, I taught why dont I use the TV instead of a monitor, and save money.

So.. The big question.

What do I need so that the PC will turn on, and the boot screen will show up on the TV and I can shut it down without having to go turning shiit off?

Is there any program for the TV-out that could detect the TV automatically every time it turns on and execute the TV out settings?

I'm gonna use a TNT2 with TV out for the graphics.

I dont want to go spending lots of money on it now, cheaper the better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by conZ

What do I need so that the PC will turn on, and the boot screen will show up on the TV and I can shut it down without having to go turning shiit off?

nothing needed if the grfx card dosent dedect a vga connection it will default to tv,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Try it out before making a complete conversion. It's great for games if you have a big screen, but you'll get a max of 800x600 resolution and trying to read webpages on a 50Hz screen without seriously cranking up the font sizes will give you a head ache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Aye funny you mentioned it but we were short a monitor at a lan recently so i hooked up my pc to a 32" widescreen and as mentioned before games are grand but reading anything on a TV screen will be next to impossible even at 800 x 600 and will only result in a headache, which is nice.
    DeV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by Beat Freak
    Aye funny you mentioned it but we were short a monitor at a lan recently so i hooked up my pc to a 32" widescreen and as mentioned before games are grand but reading anything on a TV screen will be next to impossible even at 800 x 600 and will only result in a headache, which is nice.
    DeV

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

i havea 28" and i watch films and play a few games, but as far as reading any thing on the screen it impossable, u'll be blind in a matter of days!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

dono conz wouldnt rec this at all its just all round bad ida unless u dont expect to be doing a lot of work on the computer doubt it would be very good for gaming also ( unless u have one kick ass 100hz tv )btw doign this would mean not so good graphics depending what way ur output is comming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

TV-Out is good in a dual display setup tho. I use the TV for games and the TFT for reading.

Has anyone actually seen what a big 100Hz is like for TV-Out? Any improvement over 50Hz at all? I couldn't get my new TV up my stairs (it's a heavy bastard) so I'm gonna move the computers down to it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

A 100Hz TV would be good for about 50fps.
    Still piss poor compared to a decent monitor running at 100Hz (non-interlaced)

Advertisement