Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Claim

• 06-08-2003 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

This quote is from http://register.iol.ie/broadband/yourquestions.html

Q. Can you use from more than 1 computer?
    A. No the account can only be used from one computer. This is due to the fact that it is a single IP address and USB connection.

I find this imposible to belive.Any host with IP access can surely act as a proxy or NAT.
    Does anyone have any experience with sharing an IOL Broadband connection, or thoughts on the issue ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭deadduck

as far as i know, once you use an ethernet router with a ethernet hub, you can connect as many pc's as you like cos the connection only sees the router and can't detect the other stuff. if i'm wrong about this, someone please correct me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The faq is written with idiots and technophobes in mind, so a lot of the stuph is hugely dumbed down (the "every time you open your browser you will be allocated a different IP address" claim made me laugh).

They're just saying you can't connect from multiple locations. You can only make one connection, but you can share that connection whatever way you like. Stick an antenna on your roof and you could share it with every computer in your area, there's no limit to how many computers use that one connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by jdsiiken
    Does anyone have any experience with sharing an IOL Broadband connection, or thoughts on the issue ?
    I'd say they're also using it to cover themselves from a support point of view, i.e. so they don't end up having people calling in with problems setting up ICS or some crappy proxy software they found.

Advertisement