Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pidgin English

• 06-08-2003 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

A good friend of mine who is an author, and one of the founding members of Bizzare magazine (now left) was talknig to me a while back about the official recognition of pidgin English, citing a few words.

I tought the most fascinating was the one that indiginous inhabitants of countries upon which missionaries impressed themselves came up with for Helicoptor

"Choppy-choppy himb'longJesusChrist"

Anyone aware of a dictionary?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

A pidgin is a language used for communication between groups of ppl with no common language for trading etc, usually takes most of its vocab from one of those languages.

If a pidgin becomes a mother tongue for a generation of kids, it is called a creole - a "proper" language in its own right.

There are (or have been) many different Jamaican, Asian, African... varieties of pidgin English - you'd need to find out what country your friend was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

He was talking about a new universal Pidgin English language being finalised AFAIK

Advertisement