Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ralf penalised for Hockenheim crash

• 06-08-2003 10:03am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Williams driver Ralf Schumacher is to be penalised 10 places on the grid for the next race in Hungary after stewards at Hockenheim say he caused the first-lap crash at the German Grand Prix.

FIA statement :

"The stewards received a report from the Race Director which stated that Ralf Schumacher caused an avoidable collision, contrary to Article 53 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations and the drivers of car numbers 2, 4 and 6 (Rubens Barrichello, Ralf Schumacher and Kimi Raikkonen) and respective team managers, were summoned.
    "Having heard the explanation of each driver and having seen the different camera views of the incident, the Stewards conclude that Ralf Schumacher began to move left to obtain a better racing line for the first corner. Ralf Schumacher admitted paying no attention to the position of the other cars during this manoeuvre. The stewards note that it is absolutely clear that Ralf Schumacher car made contact with Barrichello's car, which in turn made contact with Raikkonen. Both drivers were caught in a set of circumstances over which they had no control."

Williams are to appeal this decision.

I was very surprised to see that none of the commentators/pundits had never blamed Ralf for the crash. As soon as I saw the replay of it, I thaught it was obviously his fault.

Who caused the Hockenheim crash ? 9 votes

Ralf Schumacher
    0% 0 votes
    Kimi Raikkonen
    88% 8 votes
    Rubens Barrichello
    11% 1 vote
    Other
    0% 0 votes
    Nobody, it was just a racing incident.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

all the experts described it as a purely racing incident....this indeed sux.

first of all ralf was not trying to push barichello off the track...just looking for the best racing line into the corner. its all part of racing i mean come on!

and secondly how was ralf to know where kiwi was.

this blows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd really need to see it again but I remember it as a racing
    incident caused by (if anyone) Rubens for being so bloody slow of the line but regardless of that, Ralf saw his chance as did Kimi
    and they rightly went for it....can't make omletes etc...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah there was no way ralf knew kimi was there he might have thought he would put the squeeze on barichello buts thats allowed, isn't ralf allowed to move once across the track?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

As he admitted himself he didn;t pay attention to the positions of the other cars so obviously he wouldn't know where they were. And considering the start is probably one of the most dangerous parts of the race, that would imply that Ralf neglected to be careful. So therefore it was his fault:)

Granted Rubens was slow off the line but if you are a racing driver you should be taking all this into consideration. It was Ralf's fault, not Rubens', or Kimi's

fair enough if he admitted it but we here time and time again about how they can't see a thing through there rear view mirrors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Sure you should take the best racing line.
    But if its straight through another car i don't think its the best one.
    Ralfy was completely to blame here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyonw got a video link to the crash. i missed it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by irishgeo
    anyonw got a video link to the crash. i missed it.

Yeah, here's some great quality video of it. It gives you all the angles as well.

http://www.btinternet.com/~aaron.edwards83/ukf1/hock03.html

Thats not just being defensive, Ralf is just drifting over crashing into the side of Rubens (not just blocking him). The more I see it the more I'm convinced it's Ralfs fault.

It's been announced that Ralf Schumacher's appeal is to be televised on Tuesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3126883.stm

Interesting in that article that ron dennis described it as a racing incident also, thats what i would have classed it as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Ronny described it as a racing incident as well ???
    Wonders will never cease, he's usually the moaning sh1t, I hate that prick.

PS:I would class it as a racing incident.

only a moaning **** with ferrari it seems :) undoubtedly if it was michael shumacher it would have been his fault

Excellent news here much bette for the championship, a $50,000 fine instead and he retains his position

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/725/30.html

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    Excellent news here much bette for the championship, a $50,000 fine instead and he retains his position

$50,000 isn't that much to him, but I have agree that it's reasonably fair. As he says, he didnt pay much attention to what Rubens was doing.
    Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    Ronny described it as a racing incident as well ???
    Wonders will never cease, he's usually the moaning sh1t, I hate that prick.

I despise Ron Dennis, he's a total sh!thead.

sure the money is probably nothing to him just a token gesture i suppose money issues aside we should be up for a better race now though i hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a copout! Still its no surprise....Either Ralf was guilty in which case drop him by 10 places or he's not guilty in which case say thankyou and goodbye!

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    fair enough if he admitted it but we here time and time again about how they can't see a thing through there rear view mirrors
    JV is looking to have them removed
    http://planet-f1.com/Home/story_12705.shtml
    [maybe he just wants to reduce weight / drag so he can go faster :D ]

It seems like an interesting idea, you have do wonder from what he says do mirrors actually cause more crashes? I don't know though what if you tried to overtake somebody and he had no idea he was there he could just cut you off and claim he had no idea

Advertisement