Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

handy or useful?

• 06-08-2003 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I was wondering about the difference between "useful" and "handy".

I know there is a difference, but isn't sure about when to use which. The dictionary wasn't very helpful.

Kaalgat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

My immediate reaction is that "handy" is a more informal word but that they both have the same meanings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

They don't have the same meaning.

Handy would more often be taken to mean "close to hand"... as in "she walloped him with a handy lead pipe".

Useful would mean "Being of practical use"... as in "my, but thats a useful pen-knife you have there!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Interesting. I didn't know that. I'm guilty of having misused the word "handy" for many a year so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Well if that's the case, then what about phrases that use the construct of "a something can come in very handy when you something something somthing". (Or more intelligbly, here's an example of one of those phrases: "A map and a compass can come in very handy when you are trying to navigate unfamiliar territory"). You can't expect "handy" there to mean "close to hand". I mean - if you did actually bring these items with you on an orienteering trip, then obviously they would be close to hand because you would already be carrying them!

Short answer - Simu is right on the money - they are synonyms, but "handy" is probably vernacular. Bard, you have just used an instance of another meaning of the word "handy".

Advertisement