Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Share Harrassment

Options
  • 06-08-2003 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the law when it comes to getting out of a leased house share when you are undergoing harrassment. I really really need help with this. I would really appreciate any help here.

Is there a legal opt out for this??????

Thanking you in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

afaik there is a law section u could ask in there but since im a chancer ill take my chances saying unless u find somone else to fill the voide u will make, ur screwed unless u have a kind landloard

• Registered Users Posts: 7 deadcat

Originally posted by PalerPaul

you are undergoing harrassment. I really really need help with this. I would really appreciate any help here.

Is there a legal opt out for this??????

for a start remember that noone here is a solicitor.
    #1 is your name on the lease?
    #2 is the harrassers?

If your name isn't on the lease, well, leave, and if you have trouble getting deposits etc. back go to the small claims court.
    If both names are on the lease, perhaps the landlord is the best to sort it out, but knowing landlords the solution will involve both of you becoming homeless...

On what level is the harassment? I would think that if you want to go down the legal route, the harassment issue is going to be easier than anything to do with the lease. AFAIK most leases are for the protection of the landlord and his/her property rather than for the good of the tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

who is doing the harrassing and what are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    who is doing the harrassing and what are they doing?
    Ah, now that's the relevant question. No-one will be able to give you proper advice without the answer to that one - certainly not without answering the first part of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the harassment is at a serious level (unwanted advances, invasion of privacy, threats of violence, theft), go to the Garda.

The means of getting out are usually dealt with in the lease / contract. Sometimes this will hurt financially, but sometimes this is worth it.

If you are a common tenant (sharing with others not known to you), your landlord is responsible to you for the behavior of others.

PalerPaul, only if you want, include some additional details and it will be easier to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PalerPaul

I live with a couple. There is alot of domestic violence, 4 times requiring hospital treatment on the bloke of the relationship. I just want out and cut it clean with my deposit. She said if i didnt leave she would throw my stuff out.

Im not scared of her. I live in London and the girl is Irish too. I gave her a bit of my mind and shes not used to people standing up to her. Like as I sit here, there is shattered plates and cups (I think) all over the stairs. I had to spend 2 hours last night listening to him being beaten up. The three of us are on the lease, named. I have given my notice in but want my deposit, She is ruining all chances of me getting someone to replace myself in order to make me lose my deposit. I really am in a position. I stay well away from her. Harrassment is basicly deliberately smashing things around in middle of night and things along those lines.

I went to police and made a formal complaint but as its a man against woman, they take no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Keep a diary of her actions, including threats like "she would throw my stuff out" and the breaking of things. Go to a solicitor and get a restraining order.

Advertisement