Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bucketful Of Excuses (long)

Options
  • 11-03-1999 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Finally finished this report on the Team IE games. It might look like a big list of excuses but it's got a few points about things that could be avoided in future.

Some top notch UK players expected us to win. Personally I thought we could win DM3, would lose E1M2 and DM2 was 50/50. As it happened, we were very sloppy on DM3, we did much better on E1M2 than I thought we would and DM2 was ehhh....bad.

I think the main reasons (excuses) we lost 5 Nil were.

1: Only Koopa and I were on our own computers. I had to get a monitor and network card from the French which took time. Playing on a weird machine at short notice makes a BIG difference to how you play. Over the 5 games, I finished up with least deaths and best rank for us, though I am the least skilled player on the team. Beast is the team's best player and had terrible stats. Tomb, Beast and Bunny for various reasons had to use computers we had borrowed from home. The mouse Tomb used was my spare one. Which sucks badly.

2: Because we are used to playing in total silence in our rooms, we used very little proxy comms and no verbal comms at all until
    after the 5 main 4 v 4's. Teamplay gradually improved over the weekend. In the 2 v 2's Beast and I had finally got to grips with the novelty of like, being able to chat to each other and cover wider areas of the map rather than rely on the limitations of proxy comms. We could quickly coordinate attacks from different directions etc.

3: Lack Of Hard Practices.
    The connects to the UK went **** around Christmas so we haven't played much in the UK and UK clans have the same problem playing here. CW used to play CP a lot but not any more. All our practices as someone said were against good but disorganized players. We got used to winning by using the same formula so we were slow to react to the French tactics. I don't think we cleared and held the RA on Dm3 for more than 2 seconds. Even though we got all Pents but 1. Shame really cos I don't think the French were very good at controlling and locking down levels. Except for Dm2 perhaps.

4: We played bad. Lots of mistakes we wouldn't normally make.

2 v 2's
    Beast & Von v Skill5 & Mandrixx, Dm6 (dmm3): We won.

Beast & Von v Patat & Funz (next best 2 French players), Dm3: We won.

Koopa & Bunny v Skill5 & Mandrixx, Dm3: Koopa & Bunny won.

Beast & Bunny v Skill5 & Mandrixx, Dm6 ,dmm3: Skill5 & Mandrixx won.

Beast & Von v Koopa & Bunny, Dm3: Beast and Von won.

Beast & Von v Sun & Dream, Dm3: We won first game handsomely, they won the following 2,
    opting to hide for the last 5 minutes and not respawn etc rather than fight smile.gif It was up to us to find them, kill them, kill them at respawns and at the same time cover the bridge area. I was tempted to look over at Devore's monitor and find where they were but that would be cheating wha? smile.gif I didn't want to win THAT bad.

Duels
    Koopa had no sound on the first day (he plugged his headphones into the wrong socket or something sad like that) and lost a few times but didn't come close to losing when he had speakers. He beat Funz (fov and mouse sens too high I think) comfortably in the duel final without resorting to weapon running.

Bunny won most of his games but apparently couldnt be bothered too much. One time when playing Sun on Dm4, he tries to do the Sep "walk to quad" move and ends up in lava. Nearly lost him the game. I beat him once on Dm6 so he turns to me and says he's going to destroy me. And he did. Several times sad.gif

Overlord, as I expected, was even better with 13 ping shaft than with 30 ping. He's much better on DM6 than on DM4. Beast, who allegedly is not a dueller, played badly and beat Skill5 on DM6. Lost to Sun (I think) on Dm4.

Von: I lost mostly. hehe smile.gif I was having too much fun with 13 ping shaft to watch scores or something. Koopa helped knock me out of the duel tournie by nattering to me about Flodor and nudging my arm. Damn that arab.

Tomb does not duel ever.

Clan Arena
    We all ruled this. Even me and I hate it. However it was fun due to Zero screaming friendly abuse at the French after every kill. Tomb was the man despite broken mouse etc. Dream is one of the best CA players on the Barrysworld Mr Pinks server and was the best for the French. We 0wned his bottom.

Rocket Arena
    Dream got well spanked by Koopa here.

Games.
    : Androm 9 Warmup
    Tomb got the RA ledge 1st RL but got killed by Sun before he could get armour but didnt give away his RL. I got 2nd Ledge GL and went for RA lift. The 2nd RL spawned as I was on the lift sad.gif Skill5 snatched it, sneaked up the lift after me and whacked my arse. The French were now in the best position to take quads. We tried to limit damage by getting to quad early with whatever weapon we had and usually no armour and this worked quite well. Even if we got killed at the quad room and the enemy got quad, at least he would not have full armour or health and might not risk going on a spawn killing spree. Bunny did some sneaky jap trick and got a pent and we made a bit of a comeback but too little too late. So we lost by 60 odd frags on a level that usually produces cricket scores.
    No verbal comms to speak of used by us here.
    "Where do these teleports go?" - Bunny

2: DM3
    French got 1st RL and Quad. Tomb (YA spawn)missed getting Pent at the start so we practically gave away 2nd RL. We also decided to let the French have RA for the whole game with not one coordinated attack. Even when we had quad there was no backup. All downhill from there. We got 3 out of 4 pents tho. Bunny does a good job on the YA but the rest of us fail to get enough quads or hold RA.

3: E1M2
    Scores were level for most of the first half here suprisingly, considering the good start
    the French got and our lack of confidence on the map. The French pulled away after 10 minutes with lots of quads. We didn't pressure them enough at the GL room or else we should have held the quad room and spammed the GL room entrance to nab some quads. Lost by 70 odd.

4: DM2
    Desperate start with the French getting both RLs and quad. Respawn die respawn die. I got SSG spawn so with 200 RA and 200h I nabbed 2nd RL and went for 2nd Quad. I was a few seconds too early though and the French got it. Bah.

5: DM3
    I got 1st Quad and went to RA. The French(Dream I think) got 1st RL. I got some quad shotgun frags but didnt find the 1st RL sad.gif I reckon he was hiding at SNG waiting to ambush me if I went there.
    Nobody came for RA and I got killed trying to snatch 2nd Quad. Same problem with the previous Dm3 game. We got all the pents here and made a little impact in the last 5 minutes. Again, Bunny does a good job on the YA but again the rest of us fail to get enough quads or hold RA. We get all 4 pents.

6: E1M2
    Very high scoring game. We start badly again but start doing some shouting towards the end of the game where we attack non stop and get a semi-respectable score.

7: E2M2: A UKCL level which the French have played a lot. We played it about twice before, unless CTF counts. I recommended leaving a man camping the LG (kill spawn, stop enemy getting LG, make it easier for the other 3 to share RA) but I was overruled smile.gif we led until the last 2 minutes and lost by 10 Frags.

8: E4M3: We won easily. An FFA level for some. The ultimate skilled teamplay map for us.

9: Androm 9: 5 v 5: Koopa replacing Tomb (who had to fly home) and Overlord playing: We won. Big FFA.

10: Androm 9: 5 v 5: Zero replaces Beast: We lost. FFA again.

Misc. Games
    Death32 Pickup Game: I was with Mandrixx, Zero, Bunny and some other blokes. I had a demo but lost it sad.gif Just as well. Cos I spawn at Dm4 and try to "walk to quad" but end up in lava.
    Just a big ffa really. My quad shaft teamkills were cool. Patat (enemy team) was top with Bunnors 2nd.

2 player per machine FFAs. Beast and I used some machine with GL. Smooooooth. I Think we won mostly. Poor Bunnors got driven round the bend by Koopa and they were last every game. haha. Forget 4 v 4's and duels. THIS is where REAL skill is required.

I won't mention the EEEEEEEEVILLLL quad timer. On the whole, player for player we are
    stronger than the French team but if we were a better team, then despite the problems we had we would have won.

[This message has been edited by Von (edited 11-03-99).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Sorry bout the formatting wha? It was like that when I got here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ChRoMe99

You were beaten fair and square. Is it impossible to just leave it at that? BTW
    just have to stir some more ****.

"Some top notch UK players expected us to win"

Maybe and I know I'm going to get flamed to hell for this but its only becuase most people are to insecure to say it themselves. From the people I talked to the genral comment was that you would be stepped on.

"On the whole, player for player we are
    stronger than the French"

Again i dont mean to be the baddest ******* ever but then why didnt you win?

ChR "Smarmy ****" oMe

You don't play the game so your (wrong) opinion doesn't matter. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Good report von.

yeah it was a imposter on indigo war last night smile.gif

ChRoMe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

uk conns sorted now, enter team.ie in the UKCL.

Alter Net still looks poo. Anyway we are all in UK clans as it is. Just too lagged to play since before christmas. Koopa in 4K, rest of us in CP.

Tracing route to jack.barrysworld.com [194.88.93.15]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 104 ms 96 ms 97 ms ts04.dublin.indigo.ie [194.125.148.6]

2 101 ms 109 ms 99 ms gw03.dublin.indigo.ie [194.125.145.97]

3 106 ms 99 ms 111 ms fa4-0-0.gw01.dublin.te.net [194.125.204.17]

4 122 ms 109 ms 111 ms atm4-1-0-33.gw01.london.te.net [194.125.204.10]

5 114 ms 124 ms 113 ms Hssi9-0-0.GW2.LND1.ALTER.NET [146.188.32.17]

6 210 ms 186 ms 190 ms businessnet-gw.customer.alter.net [146.188.33.2]

7 194 ms 191 ms 189 ms 194.88.67.249

8 203 ms 214 ms 198 ms jack.barrysworld.com [194.88.93.15]

And chrome, last night was the first time I've ever seen you on a server since ctf days (you were ****e then too). Many people (who didn't have to) supported the huge effort we made to just get to France, Mickah held a lan at his house, many people gave up time from their weekends (even daa ffs) to help us practice though it's no fun being on the end of 250 nil games and zero, ol, dre and vex drove across 2 countries just to watch us. They are the people who we were playing for smile.gif You contributed nothing so your jealous, ignorant, ill-informed opinion is of no consequence.

The way you behaved I'm glad you werent playing "for me" as you put it. Personally I think you have shamed yourself putting down the french team who beat you fair and square you i'm afriad are to childish to realise this.

ChR "where does all this smarm come from?!" oMe

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

/me could have sworn he had something to do with it too :p

Chrome, the games were much closer then it appears but they did have better comms for sure. We could have won, but we didnt and we need to improve our TP.
    Again i dont mean to be the baddest ******* ever but then why didnt you win?

I've seen teams where the players on one side were BETTER but less organised got HAMMERED by inferior players who had better teamplay. Once you combine to take control of the level its pretty simple to kill respawners and lone-wolves.
    ONly a concerted/coordinated attack will regain the level and that was one of the things we were not so good at. Thats why Von is annoyed about the timer as it hellped coordinate an attack on quad which we werent aware they could time to prefection but we havent ONCE said that the french were anything but nice to us and fair players apart for individual's opinion.

As for being stepped on, you must have been watching different games from me cos I can tell you that for almost ALL the games there was a tension in the air up until the last 5 mins when the French would pull away.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

von ya big ****, my soundcard doesnt have a headphone socket smile.gif
    the only socket on that bloody soundcard was a line-out, which didnt really let me control volume much.
    bloody 1926 manufactured sb16 (om-nyom!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i know being a q2 mostly player that its non of my business, but im happy and proud of the team that went over. its all for fun and its a learning experience. anyone that moans or complains is just jealous and wants to put the lads down to make themselves feel better.
    gwan team.ie.
    eamon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

fair play wwman (for a fookin change!)
    i agree like....

chrome stop being a coont!
    ye and last i heard ud quit ahahah take it eam0! (not u wwman)

ping times look like they might get betteer! wooo 140 ping yeay!!! woohooo etc

and stop moaning bout loozing! twas only a praccy game, were not exactly the most experience internation travelling team...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

I don't know why yas are flaming Chrome,

facts are we don't know who are better or worse, we weren't there but on paper we are NOT better than them, other than that everything else is just opinionated, and therefore could be wrong, impartial, or right. But please don't make sweeping comments von, please you sentence structures like; "In my opinion..." , "IMHO" , "As far as I can tell..." and so on.

Bring on the whipping. I'm dyiiing for it!

Oh BTW, im taking nothign away from our players, but I think these sweeping generalised comments are unnecessary and should not be used. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ste (edited 13-03-99).]

With all due respect Ste, you're not as clueless as Chrome but clueless never the less. Shut up and fix that map.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

You're calling ME clueless, LOL!
    I'm not gonna express my feelings about you or you may get upset, BUT any foreigners reading this will be looking upon you as the fool. Oh mommy will you tie my shoes!

as for the map, a new one's well under way, gimme a few weeks.

Ah, didn't mean to sound harsh wha? Why can't we stop the infightin and *****in and unite against the common enemy....jammy, poncy, namby pamby, foreigners.

By the by, Tinet pings to UK seem to be back to normal.

Dunno why I said that about Tinet pings. Of the modemers, only Koopa and the CW's played a lot in the UK over the last year when pings were good before, while the rest of you were spamming each other on CA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Chrome, you know NOTHING about anything. How long have you been playin Quake now and you still haven't a clue?

Von's duty as the team tactics boy is write up exactly what happened in the games, and point out to the players where they slipped up, and how they could have kept in the game.

<< "On the whole, player for player we are
    stronger than the French"
    Again i dont mean to be the baddest ******* ever but then why didnt you win? >>

em, which part did you not understand? The French played better as a team, where the Irish proved to be better man for man. It sounds simple enough to me. To give a simple example, I'm not a good enough teamplayer to be on team.ie, but when the French team were in CA, Dream was the only one who could take me or Tomb. Beast and Von stood on lots of frogs in 2 on 2's, where it came down more to skill than a 4-man coordination of tactics.

sigh......muppet

Advertisement