Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbie Williams - Good or Evil?

• 06-08-2003 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

OK

It feels sometimes that I am the only one left in the world wondering if y'all gone nuts.
    Robbie Williams is selling out every gig he's doing here/uk- he doing bloody well and all credit to him. I have no problem with him being a success, he works hard.

I think that he is a good 'entertainer' Not my type of entertainment but he is good at being famous
    and all the jazz that comes with it. He seems like a likeable chap.

His music to me is the most uninspired meatloaf-esuq twaddle I've heard in years that is basically manufactured to be a product for the music industry with the approval of the Robbie Willams 'Brand'.

His songs are catchy in a drone along kinda way but these days he seems to be treated like some musical guru creating incredable albums that are defining our age.

I wonder in 5/10/20 years time what his musical output will look like in context?

To my ears his music defines the lowest common denominator - The radio friendy,non offinsive,bland,boring , unadventurous ,middle of the road slosh that is passed over our collectivly dumbed down ears as the pinnicale of the modern music scene.

Robbie Williams somehow has become the definition of what it is to be a musician or in a band
    when he could not be further from that reality.

He writes (the little that he does) to sell records.He makes videos to market the brand of himself.
    He defines the hollowness that is typical of modern commercial artists.

When there is SO MUCH GOOD MUSIC in the world, modern and old, of any style it drives me made that peoples tastes are not challenged and encouraged to grow.
    This plethora of artists are rarely givin the platform that a lot of them deserve because of the
    they dont fit into a buisness plan of profit from music.
    How many hidden songwriters are toiling away in bedrooms creating little gems of clarity and vision
    that will mostly never get passed thier local singer songwriter nights?
    You think if Frank Zappa appeard today that he would get a deal or MTV airtime?
    I think not

Instead people are forced feed the McDonalds version of music, High on image but low on substance.

My point may be muddled or badly put but I hope more of you agree with me than disagree.

Is Rock and Roll is dead? naa I think not just drunk on the dollars and the suits:(

Me gets the fire extinguisher ,ready for some flames

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Nah... I agree with you 100% In fact. I couldn't have put it better myself.

The music industry scares me alot, because I wonder what's happening to music/artists. I just hope something changes soon, but I can't see how that will happen. Other than to keep toiling away at the music which inspires us, and hope that the world eventually cops on to themselves, and burns all their pop albums in a frenzy of mass hysteria.

That's when we can start fresh.

<edit - spelling>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

hope that the world eventually cops on to themselves, and burns all their pop albums in a frenzy of mass hysteria.

lol, images of nazi's burning books in berlin come to mind

- errr except us decent music lovers aint nazis (unless you in a limerk metal band)

Styles/tastes go in circles so surley its time to rebel people, but the balls and brains back in music:(

Advertisement