Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

renault clio

Options
  • 06-08-2003 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

what are peoples opinion on renault clio's?

the old version roughly 92 - 96 or so

are they reliable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

French ****. Better off with a starlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

what are peoples opinion on renault clio's?

Like any older car they can give trouble. Engines generally last very well with regular oil changes. Manual gearboxes and clutches are also very long lasting. However clutch cables can break. Also avoid the auto gearbox - it has a poor rep for reliability. Cooling systems can leak if the coolant is not changed every couple of years. Corrosion inhibitors in the coolant become ineffective over time resulting in internal corrosion. This can cause burst radiators, overheating, blown head gaskets etc. If you're looking at a car look for signs of these and check the coolant in the expanison tank if it's rusty ****ty brown it's probably never been changed and the car could give cooling problems. Apart from all that just do the same checks as you would do on any older second hand car.
    French ****. Better off with a starlet.

That's hillarious. Of all cars to compare the Clio with you choose a Starlet? I suppose you rate the Starlet Turbo (aka scumbag mobile) above the Clio 16v and Williams?

The Starlet is an poor handling, uncomfortable, cramped outdated tinny piece of sh1t. It *may* be good for reliability but only of its been reasonably well looked after which most of them aren't cause they're generally driven by muppets who thrash the life out of them.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Plz dont get me wrong, i hate small cars.

But i`d buy a Toyota b4 a renault nyday. Starlet r no starlet.

ANd no, i`d rate the clio 16v above starlet nyday aswell, and yes, mmost starlets r driven by muppets. But if he jsu twants cheap insurance and isnt going to do it up a starlet will run longer than a clio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Ok then point taken about the starlet. Good rep for reliability and lasting a long time like most toyotas. If he can find a one owner, low mileage starlet which has been properly maintained then certainly it would be a good bet. However the chances of him finding a decent starlet are almost nil. The vast majority of starlets on the road have been crashed, thrashed, stolen, (badly) modified, are dodgy jap imports etc...Starlets used to be driven by old dears who looked after them but not anymore. OK the later model starlets have probably escaped the attentions of the baseball cap brigade (for now) but the earlier ones are surely the ultimate muppet mobile.

BrianD3

Advertisement