Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loop distance 4

Options
  • 06-08-2003 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All

Can anyone tell me what 'loop distance 4' represents on a dlink dsl540 router? I know its the distance from the router to the exchange - but what is the 4 a measurement of?

Also what should the attenuation readings be -

Thanks is advance

Paddyo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by Paddyo
    Hi All

Can anyone tell me what 'loop distance 4' represents on a dlink dsl540 router? I know its the distance from the router to the exchange - but what is the 4 a measurement of?

Paddyo

I've a 504 router, and it says "Loop Distance: About 11 K ft." which is (let me just work it out in my head :D) - 3.35 kilometers or 2.08 miles.

So I guess you're 4 feet away from your exchange :) - ok propably 4k feet which is 1.2 km or .75 of a mile - does that sound right?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Thanks dazberry

It could well be correct - have you had any problems with the 504 and Eircom ADSL. The one I was asking about seems to keep locking up and the router has to be restarted a few times and reconnected before a connection can be made again.

It may keep running for a day and then all of a sudden it will stop.

thanks again for the reply

Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

My 504 is running R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk and I haven't had it lockup over the last couple of weeks - since I installed it, however I have found that certain sites will become unavailable from inside the network from time to time. In this scenerio, the sites are still available if I go thru the netsource http proxy, and incoming services are uneffected. The only way I've found to fix this is to reset the router - which I can do from the http administration interface. I've never needed to unplug it.

D.

Advertisement