Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PADI in Croatia

• 06-08-2003 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi can anyone help on this subject
    myself and my girlfreind are off to croatia at the end of next month and are hoping to do the open water certificate.

Has anyone ever done this in Croatia ?
    we would prefer to do it in and around Dubrovnik?

I have found some stuff on the web but its not great, would anyone out there have a recommendation.
    thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Don't dive the Agean

I couldn't find any PADI centres there 2 years ago but we went anyway as we were driving(gear in the back)... My Brother sourced some dive sites 40km south of Dubrovnik but we had no first-hand divers for advice.
    We did a few dives and then spent the next 2 days looking for compressors. The Diving was crap. Lovely country though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The National Dive School ran a trip to Croatia recently and the details of where they went is still on the web page www.nds.ie

You'll have to click the "events" link on the left hand side and then scroll all the way down to find the "NDS events world wide" link. Alternatively i think this is the direct link to the page
    http://www.nds.ie/events/holidaysbroad.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Konix

I was in Croatia pretty recently. near dubrovnik. i saw alot of diving centres around though i never got around to trying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Just back from Croatia.

Stayed a couple of days on an island called VIS.

Was very disappointed with the setup. The best centre I found wasn’t geared up for the less experienced diver (20 dives or so in my case). This was a pity as there was plenty of good diving – including a really cool spot called the Blue Grotto. In the end I only did two dives (a interesting dive along a “wall” and the dive to the site of a wreck – literally thousands of urns/pots…roman I think ).

The reason I only did two was because at the end of the second dive I was sent back to the surface on my own and this was midway through the dive (100 bar), I had to negotiate my way back to the boat by myself (buddy system…?)!?

I am sure there are plenty of good centres about, I suppose you just need to take a cautious approach.

All the main islands and costal towns will have dive centres. To get a good idea of where the highlights are check out the diving section in the lonely planet for Croatia.

Oh yea after your first dive you will need to register etc (100 kuna/ 14 euro for a card that lasts a year) . The dive centre will do it for you.

I think the problem with doing the open water on holiday is that it really eats into your time (3 to 4 full days).

Advertisement