Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless ISDN runaround

Options
  • 06-08-2003 6:26pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The brother-in-law is supposed to be getting the same FWA ISDN product I got, but he's getting the runaround.

The latest story he got is that there's some product being trialled in Dunloe that is much faster than ISDN, and he'd be better off waiting for it.

Does anyone know if Eircom are trialling anything - presumably wireless - in Dunloe? Sounds like a fob-off to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If they can't give you a firm date, or at least a timeline, consider yourself fobbed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I know nothing about Dunloe - maybe someone else can supply info there. I have heard that Eircom are trialling broadband based on the Airspan equipment they currently use. They are probably trialling it in case the regulator decides to hold them to their licence obligations or some sort of competition appears. The trials are probably not open to the public. Eircom trialled DSL for several years among their own staff before finally launching a service based on different technology in 2002.

Your brother-in-law should continue to push for wireless ISDN. If he gets it, then he should also be eligable for broadband when it appears. It is not like wired ISDN, where upgrading to ISDN makes you ineligable for DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    The brother-in-law is supposed to be getting the same FWA ISDN product I got, but he's getting the runaround.

The latest story he got is that there's some product being trialled in Dunloe that is much faster than ISDN, and he'd be better off waiting for it.

Does anyone know if Eircom are trialling anything - presumably wireless - in Dunloe? Sounds like a fob-off to me.

The Dungloe thing is one of those expressions of interest scheme (BMW assembly or DCMNR). It is a local initiative (fair play Dugloe)

They will run a wi-fi 802.11b with a shared 2Mbit leasedline (costing 70% of the setup) from Eircom at the back.

Dungloe has a large Eircom mast, being the hub of the 075 exchange. Tell the rat to fúcáil leat as the locals would have it and tell him how you got the bloody thing seeing as u are the expert OB :D

M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Muck
    ...and tell him how you got the bloody thing seeing as u are the expert OB
    Oh believe me, he's only too aware of how I got it, he's my next-door neighbour!

We both hoped that the precedent I set would be enough to get him (and two other neighbours/relatives) up and running quickly, but obviously not.

The last chap he spoke to gave him some sort of convoluted complaint procedure to go through. I'm going to tell him to lodge a complaint through that channel, and immediately escalate it to ComReg. Gloves off!!

Advertisement