Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Router

Options
  • 06-08-2003 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a satellite BB connection and was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good router for such a setup ?

Thanks

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I may be wrong in this... so don't flame me.

Firstly, will your satellite be able to connect to a router using ethernet, or will it use a wireless protocol. As far as i know, any router will work, so long as the correct inputs/outputs are there. I have wireless broadband, and i have an antenne, which connects to my eternet card, but if i wanted, i could stick a router in the loop. Disciss this with the reseller of the satelite.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I thought that for a satellite connection you needed to be able to specify the transponder information to the router so that it knows which signal to lift from the satellite.

For this reason I thought that routers used in the satellite arena were different from normal BB/netowrk routers. Am I wrong in this ?

Thanks

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Several ISPs will supply you with a router - with Aramiska its a standard part of the package, and routers are available from Gilat based suppliers as well.

I'm looking at Silvermead option and while they do offer a router option I wanted to see if I could find a suitable one which was less expensive, and which people have had a positive experience with.

Thanks

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Scenic911

try medisat.ie

Scenic

• Advertisement

Hi Scenic911,

thanks for the suggestion, I had a look at Mediasat but they seem much more expensive than Silvermead. Their cheapest package is Euro 49.99 whereas a similar package from Silvermead is £29.99 (and there appears to be no cap on this package). Mediasat have a 500mb cap and charge 10c per mb after that.

M.

Advertisement