Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering the Forum Jump

Options
  • 06-08-2003 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

On the Forum jump popup menu, and elsewhere on the boards, it seems that the forums are sorted by some arbitrary factor like the forumid. While that number may be useful for many purposes, it isn't very convenient. Instead of the order

Christianity, CTYI, Boards Band, *******, Torc Interactive, OpFlash, SeinWars, Irish Pubs, IGN, Soldat, Paganism, Couriers, Irish Archives, Tuppenceworth, Wolfenstein, Championship Manager, Clergy, LNA

couldn't this be presented as

Boards Band, *******, Championship Manager, Christianity, Clergy, Couriers, CTYI, IGN, Irish Archives, Irish Pubs, LNA, OpFlash, Paganism, SeinWars, Soldat, Torc Interactive, Tuppenceworth, Wolfenstein
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you mean here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=80 It actually seem to be randomish (might just be another Catholic conspiracy ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Yes, on that page, and also in the Forum Jump popup menubar at the bottom of many pages.

Randomness is less friendly than alphabetic ordering for the user. Can someone fix it?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its ordered by creation date. The dropdown navigation is ordered alphabetically.

It might get fixed but theres a lot on our plate right now.

DeV.

The dropdown menus of course don't work on most browsers. I wish someone would fix this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Works on mine.

Its your fault for not using a non-standard and inconvenient one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Works fine on Mozilla.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Works on mine.

He said it doesn't work on most, and he's right as far as I know.

Its your fault for not using a non-standard and inconvenient one.

Trolling of that quality should earn a ban.

(Yoda, please don't follow up with a sermon. We know, ok!)

No sermon. I am not an expert in these java thinglets, but I wonder if it is a question of one browser being formally compliant with standards and another not. The question is, are those popups standard and the standard isn't properly implemented on e.g. Safari, or are they nonstandard Explorer naughtinesses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by Yoda
    The question is, are those popups standard and the standard isn't properly implemented on e.g. Safari, or are they nonstandard Explorer naughtinesses?

The last time I looked (which was quite some time ago) they were largely in the realm of "implementation specific"; that is they didn't break any standards, but there weren't completely covered by any either (one of the relevant RECs was at an early stage back them). They've been through quite a few peoples' hands since then, so I couldn't say now (I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a single piece of the code I did on them left).

Arguably (depending on just what you say is a "standard" there is no standard way of doing any such menus). [Omitting conversation here we compare the importance of different ISO, NSAI, IEEE, ECMA, W3C and IETF documents for some time without actually adding anything useful to the thread] It was always a design decision that they should be a handy, but not essential, way of navigating the site, and that other means would be available (and since I occassionally use Lynx here I for one will never be able to rely on them).

So it isn't Explorer naughtiness, its code that various people have hammered away at to make the best of a bad situation (the fact that there are no fully compliant browsers - even Amaya has flaws and the best of the bunch - Lynx - fulfills the relevant standards by taking the approach of not implementing any script - support for which is optional).

Funnily when I'm somewhere on boards I don't often frequent I also find the ordering a nuisance, though when I'm in areas I'm used to it makes sense to an old hand that they reflect the history of the site.

History of the site? I'd rather have alphabetic functionality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by ecksor
    He said it doesn't work on most, and he's right as far as I know.

It works on both ie 5 and ie 6 which would make him very wrong surely?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That depends if you are counting "most" to mean "most used browsers" or "majority of unique browser programs."

In the former IE counts for what, 90%+ ... if its the latter then IE counts for 1 and is equal with MeHKEWLBrowser.exe as produced by Jeff K and used by him and his three mates.

Hey xor... Hows my trolling? Dial 1800 KD-GIVE-AFUK ! :p

DeV.

Some millions are using Safari now, according to Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I think if all forum order ids were changed to 1, the forum jump / main vbulletin listing would become alphabetical - any opinions / opposition?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah, go for it. If I might make a suggestion though: Make them all 10, in case you ever need to pull something to the top temporarily.

adam

Originally posted by DeVore
    Its ordered by creation date. The dropdown navigation is ordered alphabetically.
    Apparently not, else Buddhism would appear above Christianity, no?

It does for me.

No, it's the forum jump popop menu at the bottom of the page.

I'm pretty sure that's not what DeVore meant.

So the dropdown menus which I can't use in Safari display correctly in alphabetical order, but the forum jump popup bar at the bottom of the page (which I can use) does not. Also here

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Yoda
    So the dropdown menus which I can't use in Safari display correctly in alphabetical order, but the forum jump popup bar at the bottom of the page (which I can use) does not.

Yes.

Which brings us back to the reason I posted this thread.

Your obsession with your own bellybutton?

My desire to have the forums ordered alphabetically. Alphabetic sorting is a really basic functionality, and I would like it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ah, come on lads, give him a break. It's one thing to make fun of people, another to make fun when you "haven't done your job"©®.

After all Yoda provides a valuble service - making me look less holier than thou. ;)

I'm working on the order now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin.

all the forums are all over the shop. For example.

Pix n Mix is in music and radio section.
    Politics is in language section?

Quite a few messed around.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think it's just being tinkered with.

It's just the way vB displays them, unopened sub-categories appear to own the forums under them, but it is just because of the way they were displayed under the sub-categories alphabetically above them.

I'm currently trying to generate displayorders from the forum title:

mysql> update forum set displayorder=ascii(lower(title));

mysql> update forum set displayorder=ascii(lower(title))*10 where cancontainthreads=0;

Fixed the sub-categories problem with second command.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well dont like it at all :( really messed up my day now i have to look and read the drop downs to go where I want to . it was fine before hand an order htat evolved with boards and now it has been tinkered with and but in susposed correct order and lost it's charm :(

Advertisement