Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering the Forum Jump

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well if thaed doesn't like it it most certainly gets my vote!

I don't think it's any handier or anything but it just satisfies the nerd in me who takes great delight in organising all his books by size/name and author :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Watch out, Mordeth. Pedantry may be infectious. (Naturally – aside from ignoring "A" and "The" in titles, I follow the Unicode Collation Algorithm when ordering my DVDs. So "(The) 13th Warrior" precedes "(A) Beautiful Mind", and "π" follows "What Lies Beneath" because the Greek script follows the Latin script.... ;)

Ahem.

Regarding the reordering. Job well done. I am delighted. Makes everything much easier to find. Thank you very much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

LOL. This screwed me up because the IrelandOffline forums are usually right at the bottom of the dropdown on the search page, which I use quite a lot. Prefer it this way though, it's more intuitive.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The new order is nice :P
    Boards has grown a lot over the last couple of years, so navigating it had become increasingly difficult.
    The new dropdowns bring some form of order to what had become a form of chaos

Just my 2c :)

Well, I feel vindicated. :) "Yoda helps bring order to chaos." Next people will be saying euros and cents....

One assumes, DeVore, that your reverse alphabetical order in the announcement "Buddhists, Blacknights and Bikes" was intentionally ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

The new layout is great. The layout is a lot more logical, not just because it's alphabetic, but the new sub-divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I forgot to mention that the other way was worse for iCab users also and this way becomes faster to find fora to move an unwanted thread to. But no-one uses iCab as far as I know!
    Originally posted by Yoda
    One assumes, DeVore, that your reverse alphabetical order in the announcement "Buddhists, Blacknights and Bikes" was intentionally ironic.
    Would that be because of "Zen and the art of..." or am I reading different humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pedantry may be infections.
    Perhaps you mean "Infectious"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Victor
    Perhaps you mean "Infectious"?
    If he did, apparently it is:)

I hate the new layout.

In a few days I'll get used to it. Next week I'll like it. A month after that I'll wonder why it wasn't always so.

Some nice ordering there Cloud. Makes sense. Sci/Tech is a lot more ordered than before.

Fank oo kindly then.

of course now I'm thinking Education should be a subfolder of Community:D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well, I feel vindicated. :) "Yoda helps bring order to chaos." Next people will be saying euros and cents....

I'm glad you feel vindicated however this change has been in the pipe since the science forum started to sprout sprogs. Stick around, you'll find out how much effect badgering us has on any issue. :)

No. Its much simpler then that.

I couldnt have cared less.

DeV.

• Advertisement

It's still funny.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It's still funny.

You might have taken away his vindication, DeVore, but YOU'LL NEVER TAKE HIS AMUSEMENT!

Eh? The alphabet is arguably one of the greatest inventions of humankind. Indeed, boards.ie would not exist at all had we not our alphabet. And our alphabet has an order, which all, or most, of you learned long long ago.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You forgot a full stop or do you always just stop in the middle of your

Yoda rational certainly is.

Heh heh Eksor, Yoda rational normally tries to be though sometimes Yoda too much Wolf Blass Chardonnay partaken has....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Makes more sense to me, I'm another happy organiser (books, cds, dvds, comics, all alphabeticised). But more importantly, for new users it will be easier (the old ones can still be taught new tricks, believe me, I've taught them many :)).

Alphabetical order is such a whimsical thing though. As a wannabe mathematician, I care deeply about numerical order and request that the forums be ordered by their forumid.

Are the forumids not Natural numbers? Are the Natural numbers not well ordered? Do all non-empty subsets of them not have a least member? This well ordering principle is vital and underlies many proofs and techniques in Mathematics (see strong induction).

The Natural numbers are arguably one of the greatest inventions of humankind. Without them, boards.ie wouldn't even exist!

Why does nobody give a bollix? I DEMAND THAT YOU ALL GIVE A BOLLIX ABOUT THIS OR I'LL POST INCESSANTLY ABOUT IT UNTIL YOUR EYES BLEED!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

ecksor, I think this is best discussed in your new Math forum.

J.
    --

or indeed anywhere very very far away.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Actually, the term for european coinage is cent (no "s")...seeing as we are placing such stock in letters.
    Originally posted by DeVore
    I'm glad you feel vindicated however this change has been in the pipe since the science forum started to sprout sprogs. Stick around, you'll find out how much effect badgering us has on any issue.

Am I to take this as encouragment :)

Actually, the "official" form without the -s is supposed to be used only on the banknotes and in official EU and Irish legislation. In all other contexts the normal forms cents and euros are recommended. Unfortunately, RTÉ wasn't informed this by the government and so they perpetuate a silly mess that makes all the other English speakers in the world think we're bozos.

Please do not continue this thread here. You can pointers to relevant documentation confirming my assertion on my webon my website and on the boards discussion here

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Actually, the official term for european coinage is
    Sykeirl please edit that first bit out or this thread will make me cry. Yoda's patronage of plural cents bears so much verbiage it has borne a gathering card. Please for all our sakes.... don't go there!

-ed- gah Yoda beat me to it.
    Sykeirl - YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO FORGET THIS EVER HAPPENED! Edit it and we'll not say a word.

edited post again to look down upon ecksor.

All the euro in the world wouldn't make some people edit their post or change their mind.

(omg, did he mean schizophrenic people in a many worlded universe with a high postcount??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I take it I have wandered into some weird boards.ie dimension.

Damn my attempts at pedantism
    :(

*mashes head on keyboard*

ya had to do it didnt you, you HAD to go and start him off again....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Ever see that scene in scanners where your mans head explodes?

Well, look up :D

Advertisement