Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo on Gamespy or XBConnect

Options
  • 07-08-2003 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

What sort of ping times should I be seeing? Last night I just checked out the lobby area on gamespy. Some servers were listed as zero ping time, which I presumed was just incorrect - the next lowest were 140-170 range and from there it went all the way up to 350 and more.

I couldn't see any that were obviously in the UK or Ireland - their UK lobby was empty.

Their own setup stuff on Gamespy says a low ping is <70, I never saw anything that low. I'm on eircom, and seeing a download speed of ~421 kbps, and pinging stuff locally (like boards.ie - Hi Tom) typically gives a 22-25 round trip, and uk sites more like 28-30.

So - am I wasting my time here or should I just be looking to connect to a Dublin hosted game? On that note, anyone know of a net location where such folks hang out? I've seen a few posts from people who've tried this.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I'm on IOL BB, and I've been using XBConnect for a while. Games with pings over 150 are laggy and jumpy, so I would look for ones <100. I've had several games with people in the UK where I've had pings in the 60-70 range, and it's been fine, only occaisonal lag. I would expect that a game hosted here (in Ireland) would be best for performance, though it would depend on the routing between you and the game's host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JCT

i was just playing halo with xbconnect and got pings of 35 at the lowest. i am on a 4 megabit connection though

Advertisement