Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got the DSL-604+ connected!! Browser problem now!!!

Options
  • 07-08-2003 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

The DSL-604+works now, thankfully, but now I can't get the browser to pick up the connection. The machine picks up an IP address from the DHCP server, and I can ping the IOL Gateway, with a response, but no joy getting any internet content on the browser.

any ideas people?

Btw. Thanks a mill to everyone for the help in getting the router operational.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

are ya usig a firewall/proxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by SachaJ
    The machine picks up an IP address from the DHCP server, and I can ping the IOL Gateway, with a response, but no joy getting any internet content on the browser.

Is the machine getting the correct DNS server settings from the DHCP server - and are the DHCP DNS settings set up correctly?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

cheers all. got it working in the end. Had to set up my Multiple PVC's in the incorrect order to get it working.... or maybe it was the correct order...!

thanks anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

How is it all working, i was thinking about getting this thing myself either from Elara or IT Dirrect, can you recomend any other places where it is cheaper, uk price is about 190 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I got it from www.microaid.ie . Dunno how much I paid, something like €170 ex VAT.

Its a funny one to set up. You can set up multiple DSL accounts on it. I originally deleted the default one and added my own. Kept getting a "PPPoE server not found" error. This went on for about 2 weeks of hardship - onto D-Link and onto IOL, but no-one could help. D-Link were a shower of pricks - wouldn't reply to any technical mails.

Then I got a thought to leave in the original settings and add my own and a new DSL connection - in other words, I'd have two sets of account settings - default, and IOL. So I did a factory reset and added the IOl settings, and hey presto, it worked.

Then things got really strange. I couldn't get my browser to access the internet. I could ping the IOL server, but not and external IP address (could only check one, so maybe it was shagged). Using XP, everytime I looked in "My network places" or whatever, an "Internet Gateway" icon was appearing, but couldn't connect. When I rebooted the router, this icon would disappear and re-appear when the router was back up, so I knew the "internet gateway" was directly related to the router.

So spent about an hour onto the admin guy in my last job, and between us, we couldn't figure the thing out. So I changed the order of my DSL accounts in the account settings. Instead of the D-Link default being in "Index 1" spot, I moved the IOL settings there, and but the default into "Index 2" slot. On que, MSN messenger logged in, and the "internet gateways" connected on both the wireless laptop, and the ethernet linked PC. ......BUT......... When I looked at the settings, the IOL account was showing up as "disconnected" and the default account, with completely wrong settings, was showing "connected", and displaying the dynamic IP address from IOL, the gateway, the lot. Messed up or what. Normally, I'd be happy and leave that be, but the "connect on demand is not working." Usually I'd leave things be, but the others in the gaff that use the internet have a very low grasp of technology and stuff. They can switch on the computer and open a browser, well and good, but I'm not happy about having them access the router's configuration to connect to the internet, when I'm not about. They could mess the thing up without realising.

So basically, thats where I am now. Trying to figure out this connect on demand. I was thinking of writing a program that would access the router and logon as soon as the lads switch on the computer, but that could be a lot of hastle.

If I get everything working, I'd recommend the router, but for now I can't. It has loads of features etc, and for the wireless end of things it's class. Other people have had no trouble with this router or its "wired" brother, the DSL-504, so maybe have a look through other threads about them. Want anymore info, email or pm, whatever.

good luck.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement