Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Praise For Netsource

Options
  • 07-08-2003 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

just got hooked up with netsource yesterday.

it arrived 10 days before the estimate on the sheet with our details.

I even called support and got a person who knew what they were doing!

A1 netsource!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

so how many days was it from initially ordering to being connected?

I take it by this and a few other posts that netsource have gotten themselves together somewhat after the erratic pings & awful download rates of some months ago.

Souper, I'd be very interested to know what you think of the service (speed, ping & so on) as I'm moving to a DSL enabled area within the next few months and netsource is one of the two I'm considering. If you could even post what pings & speeds youre getting that'd be great.

Congrats on getting connected, hope you enjoy your dsl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Conqrats

However Netsources is pritty unstable tbh theirs 2 posts right now on the broadband forum about crap service and thats pritty much average month for month

If your in it for games your going to have a bad time
    If your in it for D/l you better hope they dont go back to the old ways

:(:(

yikes.. that dont sound good. the case for wireless bb just got stronger

waireless isnt fantastic either seen Ibb pings of 1000ms (bah to that)

If you have the money (and are in range of one of the 45 exchanges) id go for Esat ADSL broadband it is 90 euro with out vat:eek: though its 512k down 256k up no cap

Maybe you can change the "buy me a pint" thing on your site to "pay for my broadband" :p

I have Iol Radsl broadband Fine for what i use it for pings below 35ms to boards.ie nearly always have d/l speed of 40 + ...Though their is a 5 gig cap............512k down 128k up

TBH i wouldnt touch Netsources with a 200 foot pole at the moment anyway

the theory behind getting wireless was to end up paying €0 per month to Eircom. I have no use for a phone line other than for internet access. Esats ADSL is just too expensive and besides that, I'm not gonna be on one of the three exchanges in Cork.

Course I'd like to have Esats 2mb service.. but I'll keep doing the lotto in the mean time.

Wireless would probably be the best option for me in the long run. I dont play many (or any lately) games, just interested in fast browsing & downloading. (and occasionally riding kazaa until it passes out)

If those trees grow in the mean time and I don't pass the site survey I'll have to think about getting a phone line installed and signing up to one of the other main players; utv or iol.

Netsource, while they are uncapped, seem to be limping a little too often for my liking. Anyway, I've another while to think about what I'm gonna do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

now in fairness Bizmark, after your new found mod powers I thought you would be a bit restrained in slamming netsource:D , and especially after when you had nearly 2 weeks of terrible download speeds with IOL. The problem that is happening with Netsource at the moment is with the same users that always have problems, i for one have never had a problem with pings or downloads on netsource and most of the people who post on the broadband forum have not had problems either. The problems that are occurring for certain users is with pings, they dont have problems with download speeds. I just think in the intrest of fairness that it should be pointed out that IOL, UTV and Netsource have all had problems. It is not restricted to the one ISP which is the impression that you are giving.

On a side note, apart from the cap issues, Eircom seems to be the most stable RADSL ISP at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

On a side note, apart from the cap issues, Eircom seems to be the most stable RADSL ISP at the moment.

not to mention the high cost associated with selling your soul .... kidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Not a chance...:rolleyes:

I hate to praise eircom as much as anyone because of how far they have set back broadband in this country, i've been keeping an eye on the BB forum for the last 8 months, and since RADSL was launched in April, there have been very few threads in regards to the bad quality of service of the Eircom RADSL product with regards to pings or downloads. Who in your opinion would be the mist stable RADSL ISP Ubahone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

would the average boards.ie user be more or less likely to be an Eircom customer ? if less likely that it is unsuprising you have heard very little from them.

Although in fairness John Hackett et al. swear by them as they actually own the infrastructure ... not a simple question ...

• Advertisement

Well i am not in a position to answer that. I am speaking on behalf of three ppl i know who were on it and changed over.

exactly unfortunately eircom own the infrastructure, and it is not a level playing field no matter what eircom state about Eircom.Net being just another customer of theirs, when the whole advertising campaign is based around eircom i stream blah de blah. Its obvious that they are going to have an advantage over the rest, as the competition is relying on eircom to provide a fair service. Your uneducated ordinary punter is going to go for eircom over someone like netsource or UTV, just out of convenience. My whole point in mentioning eircom in my first post was that Bizmark basically destoyed Netsource, when in fact all ISP's who are reselling Eircoms RADSL have been having problems, even though for some strange reason :rolleyes: eircom appear to be not having any trouble from the lack of Eircom threads.

The only indication of a which DSL provider boards users use can be found here on the broadband forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Have had the Eircom Business product here in work and i dont think there has /ever/ been downtime(unscheduled) or problems. (or so im told by head henchos)

Have heard the Eircom RADSL product is very good (if u ignore cap) for pings and download speeds. Mindphuck has it as do a few others people here may or may not know.

That said Eircom probably dont have as much stress on their system compared to the others with fewer customers (or so it seems). Also the fact they own the infrastructure doesnt hinder them.

True i am being hard on netsources but in all fairness all you hear is "Pings ****" " Crap d/l speeds" "Downtime for 2 hours" Etc etc etc etc

Iolbb had problums i grant you but when it works right (which is most of the time) its as stable as Eircom (with out the weird feeling of wanting to blow your head off)

60 euro a month for a product most of the people on the BB forum cant use like they want i think i have a right to be hard on them :p

And tbh i am anti-netsources their to costly and to unstable with a stupid domain name term

Im going with what i read if you are happy with netsources im happy for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Behind all them nice faces and the polite and friendly customer care lies a woefull dsl service ... grrr

sorry bizmark, i still disagree with you :D , look at the broadband forum now , on first page IOL disconnecting problems , Problems with New IOL BB connection , IOL Down , i think you get the idea, from day one all you have done is put down netsource . All the resellers of eircoms product are having problems.

Ando my heart goes out to you, you are one of the unfortunate ones that seems to have had a problem since day one with netsource, although it could turn out to be a very expensive mistake when you do move over to eircom, there may still be a problem with the line/ exchange, and you are stuck with a year long conract, 4gb cap, and a reconnection fee, all for €10 cheaper a month than you are paying now. But i think everyone understands your frustration.

:D where not going to agree on this

I dont like netsources it wont change till i see any point of paying 60 euro for a bad service (not includeing modem + install)

As i said im glad you like netsources i really am and its good netsources have 1 or 2 like you however dear i say it i think their's more like Ando

Iv had problums with Esat but not many (2 or so)

to follow up somewhat from my last post..

I chatted to a sales drone today at netsource who as soon as I mentioned "problems" with the service, went on the defensive/aggressive. He said that they had a bandwidth shortage at the start (as we all know) and they are currently having problems with routers. The very word "routers" seemed to be said in a generic kinda way.

He put the problems down to their IT manager not being in the office (maybe away on holidays?). He said they set themselves a high standard for their RADSL service and blah blah blah normal sales speech.

He did seem quite sincere (sounding at least) when he said that the problems would be rectified very soon.

I won't be holding my breath... I'll just keep a close eye on the steam coming out of netsource users ears

fair enough we'll call it a draw so :D , going back on topic of the thread one thing that netsource have most definitely go their act together on iis installs. Average activation/ install appears to take 8 working days

One person was on the bray exchange with Eircom, another was on dun laoighre with netsource, another was on Eircom on some other exchange. All 3 of them have now left, 2 on the business ADSl and another on Esat RADSL. Despite the initial problems, its been a lot more consistent that Netsource. Eircom are the same, but they have a 4gb cap, and you pay more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm going with netsource SOHO self install. Line has passed, domain registered, and i'm now just waiting for the line to be activated and to receive my welcome pack. :) I dont give a sh1te about pings, so its all good.

I dont post on here very often at all, but i am a frequent reader, and i would just like to point out to bizmark that the name of the company is Netsource and not 'netsources'!?!? :P

congrats on the line passing Rid, do let us know how you get on with it.

Eh it s what ever i call it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Eircom are the same, but they have a 4gb cap, and you pay more.

AFAIK, reading a lot of posts both here and on the BB forum, i am the only person ever to report a serious fault on boards with eircom's dsl. They NEVER have downtime, the pings, while high on the adsl service, are solid as a rock and their support team are one of the best ive dealt with in a long time dealing with support staff.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad for the evil empire, but its just the truth as far as im concerned and as far as i can tell from the vast majority of people on the service.

Also, in response to a point bizmark raised about Wireless, not ALL wireless services are as unreliable as IBB. Leap for example seem to have very stable pings. Dont paint them all with the one brush.

Eircom are quite reliabe which was what i said. I mean the only problem really was that they signed up before Esat announced their cheaper service and they wanted to pay less, have a larger cap and rock solid pings. So that person got it by telling them there going to America for life and won't be back any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Dustaz
    They NEVER have downtime, the pings, while high on the adsl service, are solid as a rock and their support team are one of the best ive dealt with in a long time dealing with support staff

I have to agree. The company I work for has about 20 client sites with eircom's dsl 1Meg service. We've had only one real dsl problem, but that was an exchange issue and the service was down only 2 hours or so. Other than that, its been extremely reliable

Advertisement