Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got my IOL modem this morning, but...

Options
  • 07-08-2003 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I have paid for an engineered install (monitored alarm) and IOL told me that the engineer would have the modem with him. Does anyone know if the modem is posted out for an engineered install? Also, if I have my modem, can I assume that my line has been sorted at the exchange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ring them, all i know and can suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

This is off topic, but can you tell me how long it took from sending off application to receiving modem. Just sent mine off this morning..

...as you can tell......really impatient

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

depends, some people got set up and everything within 12 days, and some of us *cough* were waiting over 2 months! lotto: it could be you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I rang them there. Apparently the modem is posted irrespective of whether its a self or engineered install. I went live yesterday apparently (the 6th), so I will have to get myself some microfilters to check that everything is in working order. Where is the best place to get microfilters in Dublin?

It took about 2.5 weeks from application to receiving the modem. I had never planned on using it either as I have my own modem/router. I am a happy camper to say the least!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭trurl

Hell o *.*,

Do you know if the modem you get with IOL is X-BOX Live compatible? It'll be here in October, and I would hate not to be able to use it. Also, if I already have a modem+router, can I use that and "unplug" the iol one?

Thanks
    Trurl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

stop ****ing using that Blue text it is really ****ing annoying , thanks

Hell o *.*,

I used the blue text so I can find the replies to my posts easier. I do it in other phpnuke based forums with no problems. I didn't find anything against it in the faq. I believe if the technology is available, use it.

However I don't want to ""****ing annoy" (le style c'est l'homme) anybody, so I apoligise and stop using it.

Thanks
    Trurl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

sReq | uTeK you have no right to tell anyone what color text they can or cant use theirs no rules saying we all must use Black text

now get back on topic

I know what the problem is, and its the monitored alarm. I have requested an engineer install and all he will be doing is sorting out a filter on the monitored alarm. I would do it myself except its tamper proof and the neighbours would hate me. Does anyone know how to put a filter in a monitored alarm? A normal filter wont fit in the casing, so what are my options?

Turl, the modem with IOL may or may not work with Xbox Live, but the Xbox cant connect directly to a modem as it needs an ethernet connection. You will need a router/modem, a hub or 2 ethernet cards in your PC to play online.

Turl, the modem with IOL may or may not work with Xbox Live, but the Xbox cant connect directly to a modem as it needs an ethernet connection. You will need a router/modem, a hub or 2 ethernet cards in your PC to play online.

Hell o,

Thanks very much, I thought I get a modem+router. I was thinking about getting the dlink dsl-504, are there any disadvantages to use a bundled device? I'd never buy bundled tv+video, but I'm not sure about the modem+router combo. If I decide to go with IOL, can I use it instead of the "official" modem?

Thanks
    Trurl

• Advertisement

I am getting my IOL set up with the IOL modem, then I will switch over to my modem/router. MS have posted a list of compatible modems and routers which you can see here. I based my purchase on that list. There are no problems with modem routers. You TV/video analogy is slightly flawed in that a TV and video depend on each other. The same cannot be said for a modem/router. A modem/router is essentially a modem with more than 1 network port. Its straight forward technology and there is very little that can go wrong with them.

Originally posted by Spud_Gun
    I am getting my IOL set up with the IOL modem, then I will switch over to my modem/router. MS have posted a list of compatible modems and routers which you can see here. I based my purchase on that list. There are no problems with modem routers. You TV/video analogy is slightly flawed in that a TV and video depend on each other. The same cannot be said for a modem/router. A modem/router is essentially a modem with more than 1 network port. Its straight forward technology and there is very little that can go wrong with them.

Hell o,

Thanks very much, broadband, here I come ;-)

Trurl

Advertisement