Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom at it again

Options
  • 07-08-2003 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Just got a call from Philip Nolans PA as regards my DSL, and to be honest i aint happy with what she said

ok heres what she said

1) DSL is not part of the USO, were only obligated to provide voice, fax and limited Internet connection (knew that), she said ther very staunch on this :)

2) Shes passed over my details to a project manager who is gonna do a cable test to test for any faults on the line

3) Distance is not the problem here its the line, she also sid that the line maybe able to take DSL, but its the technology that Eircom uses thats stopping you getting it (she sorta stumbled over this part)

4) i asked a couple of eircom engineers the other day about the state of the copper in viewmount, they said its in a very poor condition, the PA said thats not true (talk about left hand not knowing what the right is doing)

5) the project manager whoever he is is preparing something called a CTM report, if somebody knows what that is let me know and would I be able to request to see the report for myself when its complete

6) she said shed be delighted to give me DSL and if a fault does come up theyll fix it and retest it, some hope

7) She said that if a neighbour tested it and was able to get it, that does not mean youll be able to, blatantly untrue again as has been demonstrated on here time and time again

oh well I dont think im gonna be as lucky as some people in here

Regards

SHIN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Me me me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

and what the hell is that supposed to mean

shin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

1) DSL is not part of the USO, were only obligated to provide voice, fax and limited Internet connection (knew that), she said ther very staunch on this :)

If I'm reading Muck's post right, they don't even need to worry about the Internet connection any more. Progress eh?

3) Distance is not the problem here its the line, she also sid that the line maybe able to take DSL, but its the technology that Eircom uses thats stopping you getting it (she sorta stumbled over this part)

Ask her if she's admitting that their equipment is ****. She'll say no, at which point you can call her a liar. It's a binary equation: Either you're too far from the exchange or your line is ****.

4) i asked a couple of eircom engineers the other day about the state of the copper in viewmount, they said its in a very poor condition, the PA said thats not true (talk about left hand not knowing what the right is doing)

An Eircom higher-up is not going to admit that their primary asset is crap. Neither will a lower-down in the presence of a higher-up. Next time bring a video camera.

7) She said that if a neighbour tested it and was able to get it, that does not mean youll be able to, blatantly untrue again as has been demonstrated on here time and time again

It's not blatantly untrue. Unless you're on a carrier, your line has to be end to end until it reaches fibre. So your line could be damaged or waterlogged, and your neighbours mightn't.

adam

beg to disagreee on this point
    It's not blatantly untrue. Unless you're on a carrier, your line has to be end to end until it reaches fibre. So your line could be damaged or waterlogged, and your neighbours mightn't.

Several times on this board and on the BB board posters have stated that there neighbours could get DSL and they couldnt, drone goes checks line says its ok now

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

there neighbours could get DSL and they couldnt, drone goes checks line says its ok now
    If your neighbour can get DSL you can put a line through distance from exchange, but if you have a dodgy line like adam said you're stuck.

• Advertisement

thats why i asked does anyone know what a ctm report is and could i get a look at it when its done to see whats exactly wrong

shin

getting mixed up in the damn keys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

I would suggest its CTM - Customer Team Leader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by shinzon
    thats why i asked does anyone know what a ctm report is
    Could it have something to do with cross talk interference on the line? At least it's two out of the three letters... :)

/T

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Several times on this board and on the BB board posters have stated that there neighbours could get DSL and they couldnt, drone goes checks line says its ok now
    It's happened a few times, sure, but it's definitely not guaranteed. If there's a problem with the line going directly to your house from the pole on the road, obviously you can have problems that your neighbour doesn't. Concede this one, shin, because you're wrong.

I can see a saga style novel coming out of this - one man's struggle to get DSL....

...will it be a best seller>?

• Advertisement

Nope. A lot of people are struggling to get broadband.

It's happened a few times, sure, but it's definitely not guaranteed. If there's a problem with the line going directly to your house from the pole on the road, obviously you can have problems that your neighbour doesn't. Concede this one, shin, because you're wrong.

i know it isnt guaranteed but it has happened, hope springs eternal

ill be asking for that ctm report anyways when its complete just to see whats been done

regards

shin

Originally posted by Praetorian
    Nope.

emm thats the second time youve posted completely useless drivel in here, if youve got nothing better to say then nope then dont bloody say it

shin

I think he/she was replying to me!

Personally I was just making the point that I know more than I ever wanted to about your struggle to get DSL. I do however admire your persistance!!!

My first post was trying to be funny.

My second post was answering Query; Try reading the whole post Shinzon before calling it "drivel".

Regards

Praetorian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Shinzon, stop jumping down everyone's throat, will you? It's not our fault you can't get broadband, in fact some of us are trying to help you. If you won't even have the courtesy to admit when you're wrong, at least have the brains to shut up while you've still got some sympathy.

adam

praetorian was just getting on my nerves is all plus its hot and i get cranky when im hot

shin

praetorian was just getting on my nerves is all plus its hot and i get cranky when im hot

shin
    I don't care. Do it again and I'll ban you for a week. That "again" applies forever by the way. The primary purpose of this forum isn't to blow off steam.

I wasn't trying to annoy you Shinzon. I'm not wearing my mouse suit! ;)

Originally, we were told we could not get ADSL into our office (Coolock). Eircom tested all 10 of our PSTN lines (isdn testing wasn't available then). They all failed because of some sort of splitting technique that they had used. Anyway, I didn't accept it and I told them they would lose our companies account (a very significant account) if they didn't sort it out. We had our ADSL line installed a few days later.

Ok I realise that you don't have that kind of bargaining chip, but if you persevere you will succeed. At least your exchange is upgraded! ;)

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Handbags at ten paces!

Seriously though. Who are you trying to get Dsl through?
    Eircom, ESAT, UTV or Netsource?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Shinzon, do you have line of sight to your neighbour? If you do, I would recommend that you set up a wireless link and share the cost with him. What's stopping you from doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Or even a patch cable if they're next door.

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Shinzon, do you have line of sight to your neighbour? If you do, I would recommend that you set up a wireless link and share the cost with him. What's stopping you from doing this?

because my neighbour actually hasnt got DSL I was just using that as an example of people in here who have said there neighbours got (but actually hasnt) and then the line passes just cause the neighbours got it

to paid, ive tried em all m8, the eircom database is used by ESAT netsource clicksilver, me lines on a fail at the mo so no one will give it to me

Shin

sceptre take a chill pill worse has been said in other threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Might the neighbour be interested in getting DSL if you paid it in full, and he also had access to it?

sceptre take a chill pill worse has been said in other threads
    Ruling stands. People are actually trying to help you. Try their patience and they'll see it as more hassle than it's worth. Get cranky somewhere else, this is not a playground.

Advertisement